Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Sounds very subtle

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 8, 5:43pm

Views: 101
Shortcut
Sounds very subtle [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, Tolkien's conceit that his writing is only a translation from other languages is also subtle and complex.

I haven't read Stephenson, so can only raise a brow at "the world of Arbre". I suppose the fact that "arbre" is "tree" in French ties in with a lot of tree mythology?

Subject User Time
It's the ohmygosh it's Tuesday reading thread! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 7, 9:32pm
    Nightfall, by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 7, 9:54pm
        Asimov was a genius Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:36pm
        I should seek that out again acheron Send a private message to acheron Jan 9, 12:34pm
    more Pratchett and some other things Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jan 7, 10:02pm
        4 books IS getting a lot done! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:37pm
    Removing tongue from flagpoles, for Dummies silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 7, 11:03pm
        LOL! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:38pm
    "Among Others" by Jo Walton Annael Send a private message to Annael Jan 8, 12:26am
        Walton is great, isn't she? Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:40pm
            Pippin is the George Bailey of LOTR Annael Send a private message to Annael Jan 8, 8:57pm
                *mods up* // Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 9, 9:58am
                I love it! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 9, 3:19pm
    Neal Stephenson again acheron Send a private message to acheron Jan 8, 4:40am
        Sounds very subtle Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:43pm
    Terry Pratchett's 'A Bllnk of the Screen' Greenwood Hobbit Send a private message to Greenwood Hobbit Jan 8, 9:30am
        Oh yes Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:45pm
    Still LOTR demnation Send a private message to demnation Jan 8, 10:17am
        Yes Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:46pm
    The Harem of Aman Akbar Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Jan 8, 5:16pm
        Elizabeth Scarborough! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:47pm
    My own reading... Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8, 5:30pm
        I enjoyed the ITV Cadfael series acheron Send a private message to acheron Jan 9, 12:37pm
            The TV series started out strong, IMHO Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 9, 3:26pm
                Yes, I agree Lily elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jan 9, 4:26pm
                    Ooooh! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 9, 4:54pm
                    Agreed, and what a lovely idea! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 9, 9:12pm
                        Oh my , yes! Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Jan 9, 9:53pm
                            I'm glad.... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jan 9, 10:40pm
                    In addition... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jan 9, 10:33pm
                        I agree completely Silverlode!// elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jan 9, 10:49pm
                        Yes, exactly Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 10, 4:28pm
                        Argh, I've been missing a Cadfael discussion! Greenwood Hobbit Send a private message to Greenwood Hobbit Jan 10, 4:59pm
                            Quick question Greenwood Hobbit...and to Cadfael/RH fans Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 10, 5:24pm
                                I think it might well be - Greenwood Hobbit Send a private message to Greenwood Hobbit Jan 10, 11:07pm
                                    Very true GH! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 11, 4:44am
                                        I have lent my Cadfael box set Greenwood Hobbit Send a private message to Greenwood Hobbit Jan 11, 10:02am
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks Belegdir Send a private message to Belegdir Jan 8, 7:36pm
        My favorite Banks book is non-fiction Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 9, 3:17pm
            I'll have to pick that one up Belegdir Send a private message to Belegdir Jan 9, 4:36pm
    The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks Erewen Send a private message to Erewen Jan 8, 8:09pm
        Elfstones of Shannara is a much better book, IMO. Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Jan 9, 2:38am
            agreed from what I remember acheron Send a private message to acheron Jan 9, 12:28pm
        Oh, man. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 9, 9:59am
        I haven't read any of the Shannara books Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 9, 3:18pm
    Now about 2/3 through Pillars of the Earth. Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Jan 9, 2:44am
        Oh dear Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 9, 3:21pm
        Have to say that I really disliked Pillars of the Earth elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jan 9, 4:32pm
            I liked that book too Elaen Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 10, 4:03am
        The sequel to Pillars of the Earth (World Without End) Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Jan 9, 4:59pm
        I have never understood the popularity of that book. . . Tintallė Send a private message to Tintallė Jan 9, 5:17pm
    Starting Stephen King's 'Different Seasons' again. One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Jan 9, 11:16pm
        King certainly has an impressive body of work Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 10, 4:29pm
    Percy Jackson Kim Send a private message to Kim Jan 10, 3:43am
        A good series.... Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 10, 4:31pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.