Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
I don't see how Tolkien would mind either way.

Darkstone
Half-elven

Jan 8, 4:58pm

Views: 235
Shortcut
I don't see how Tolkien would mind either way. [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Mary Renault, who was a student of Tolkien's in the 1920s, he was very much into supporting equal rights for women at Oxford.

(BTW, note that during the 1920s, ladies' "bras" were often little more than camisoles.)

Note Letter 294:

"I have read all that E. R. Eddison wrote, in spite of his peculiarly bad nomenclature and personal philosophy. I was greatly taken by the book that was (I believe) the runner-up when The L. R. was given the Fantasy Award, 'Death of Grass'. I enjoy the S.F. of Isaac Azimov. Above these, I was recently deeply engaged in the books of Mary Renault; especially the two about Theseus, The King Must Die, and The Bull from the Sea. A few days ago I actually received a card of appreciation from her; perhaps the piece of ‘Fan-mail’ that gives me most pleasure."

Note that like most of Renault’s novels, The King Must Die and The Bull From the Sea dealt sympathetically with male and female homosexual characters.

Ms. Renault died in 1983, renowned as one of the 20th century's greatest authors of gay literature.

Tolkien wasn't quite the blue-nosed Victorian you might assume, so I doubt a bra-less female would freak him out.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Subject User Time
Was Arwen wearing a bra? (hate to ask) Scourge of the Stoors Send a private message to Scourge of the Stoors Jan 4, 10:37am
    I think so Barbarb Send a private message to Barbarb Jan 4, 12:29pm
    Doesn't look Like It IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Jan 4, 2:35pm
        We do see a bra strap under one of the Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jan 4, 5:16pm
    if you hate to ask... then why do it? Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 4, 4:35pm
        LotR Appendices Wilfred Send a private message to Wilfred Jan 4, 5:10pm
            and then... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 4, 5:12pm
            the banner on these pages says ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Jan 5, 6:20am
            Eh? demnation Send a private message to demnation Jan 8, 3:12pm
            That's right, you're wrong. / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 8, 3:44pm
            Uh? Wrong. Reading room. // simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Jan 8, 7:36pm
            Yes and no squire Send a private message to squire Jan 8, 9:09pm
        I'm with you. sador Send a private message to sador Jan 9, 4:08am
    There are no bras in Middle-earth.... FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Jan 4, 8:16pm
        I'm remembering comments about Frodo's clothing, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 5, 1:00am
            Frodo's underwear FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Jan 5, 3:08pm
                I felt like Arwen was being free warhorse78 Send a private message to warhorse78 Jan 6, 3:09am
                    Elrond Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 6, 4:18am
                        And physically, she may never had need of one until the "light of the valar" Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen Jan 7, 12:13am
        Of course there is that Girdle of Melian. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 8, 9:52pm
            Yes, yes you did!// elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jan 8, 10:02pm
            Is the Girdle of Melian... Harold.of.Whoa Send a private message to Harold.of.Whoa Jan 12, 4:19pm
                Yes, I think it was one of those First Age relics of Beleriand... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 12, 6:15pm
                    So Elrond was wearing it Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Jan 13, 3:44am
                        I think he had it tailored and dry-cleaned at the Gap of Rohan first though. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 14, 1:43am
                            There's no Gap in Rohan! Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Jan 14, 3:35am
                                No Gap in Rohan????? ;-o Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 14, 3:48am
    Costumer's Dilemma IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Jan 4, 10:45pm
        Star Wars Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 4, 11:44pm
    I'll be honest.... Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 5, 3:49am
    Why does it matter? Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Jan 7, 1:54am
    If this takes you out of the movie... Kassandros Send a private message to Kassandros Jan 7, 2:12am
    I don't see how Tolkien would mind either way. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 8, 4:58pm
    I never gave it any thought or noticed it Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Jan 9, 1:03am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.