The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** ANSWERS to Jan 20 game : COLORS

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 27 2008, 4:12pm

Post #1 of 3 (3665 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** ANSWERS to Jan 20 game : COLORS Can't Post

I'm going to break with tradition this week and not score the answers.

Why? Well, I realized that one person's yellow is another person's cream. One person's red is another person's maroon. One person's white is another person's silver.

I was ready to say to myself, 'sure... that person is just using a different name for the same color' but as the range of names widened, I wasn't so sure if it was a different name or a misremembered color. So, I'll let you all score yourselves!

1. What color is the big banner that says "Happy Birthday Bilbo" at the part?
Yellow

2. What color wax does Gandalf seal the envelope with the Ring before giving it to Frodo?
Red

3. What color flights are the arrows the Elves shoot at Helm's Deep?
White

What you'll notice is that the Lórien Elves have long white arrows.
Legolas does not. He has the shorter darker arrows.

This leads me to a mistake in the movie. I know not everyone likes to hear
about these so I'll put info on that at the bottom of the post.

4. What color cloak does Haldir wear at the Battle of Helm's Deep?
Red

This was hard to see, actually, as the images are so dark for all the night scenes.
But there's a lovely painting by Nancy L. Garven that helps the imagination.

5. What color is the cloak Éowyn wears in the Houses of Healing?
Blue, although it's hard to tell from the images below.

To the left (above) is a long shot of the cloak and to the right, a close up of Éowyn's left shoulder.

What looks a long fall of Eowyn's hair (on the right) is actually a strip of gold and what looks like fuzz balls on the cloak are actually stars. This is Finduilas' starry mantle. I loved this cloak when reading about it in the books.
They were clad in warm raiment and heavy cloaks, and over all the Lady Éowyn wore a great blue mantle of the colour of deep summer-night, and it was set with silver stars about hem and throat. Faramir had sent for this robe and had wrapped it about her; and he thought that she looked fair and queenly indeed as she stood there at his side. The mantle was wrought for his mother, Finduilas of Amroth, who died untimely, and was to him but a memory of loveliness in far days and of his first grief; and her robe seemed to him raiment fitting for the beauty and sadness of Éowyn.
Book 6, Chapter 5, The Steward and the King
More info and pictures can be found at Alley Cat Scratch and Costumer's Guide to Movie Costumes

6. What color is the door Sam closes at the end of ROTK?
Yellow

Back to the arrows.

When Legolas tries to take out the Olympic Torch Bearer, he aims with his darker arrow.

But when the arrow hits, it's miraculously a long, white arrow.

Again he takes aim with his dark arrow.

And again, the arrow that hits is long and white.

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 27 2008, 4:54pm

Post #2 of 3 (2967 views)
Shortcut
Now, I have another reason to want to be Movie Eowyn... [In reply to] Can't Post

As if Faramir isn't enough, those clothes are killers....

Thanks for the links to the blue mantle outfit -- that's the most I've ever seen of it, and it is beautiful. Along with the rest of her wardrobe.

Interesting that so many of us thought the birthday sign was white with black letters!

I hope I am never an eye witness to anything major as these quizzes are proving to me that I don't always see what's really there!

Thanks, magpie!

Weaver

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jan 28 2008, 9:42am

Post #3 of 3 (3311 views)
Shortcut
This was amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I so enjoyed seeing Finduilas' cloak close up, and it has such beautiful embroidery which we could never see on the movies. Geeky, geeky, wonderful.
I love these quizes even though I haven't posted answers.
Of course, I get them all right. Just thought you aught to know.Angelic
Wonderful job on these, dear Magpie.
hob

I wonder if they were sort of teasing us with Legolas' arrow thing. In ROTK he fires arrows that aren't there and they had plenty of time to fix that for the EE DVD and they didn't. I think it's sort of a joke.
[ Have a lovely week, friend. Smile

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others, briefly)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.