Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Does anybody else find this emoticon, a little bit racist?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2014, 10:03pm

Post #26 of 39 (335 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear sil, you explained it perfectly. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 4 2014, 10:21pm

Post #27 of 39 (353 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

for someone or something to be racist, there has to be intent to categorize someone of a different race in a negative way. If you could prove to me that the person who created that smiley meant something negative about Asians, well, then I might agree. Personally I never saw it as meaning anything but a person smiling with their eyes shut. Yes, the eyes slant, but I know Asians whose eyes do not slant and people of other races whose eyes do, for one thing, and secondly, when you draw a face in a circle, it puts an artificial constraint on the artist to fit things in a way that doesn't reflect the actual human face.

My gardening sister likes to say "a weed is in the eye of the beholder." I rather think the same principle applies here.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2014, 11:31pm

Post #28 of 39 (467 views)
Shortcut
I've always thought of it as [In reply to] Can't Post

being an attempt at a "mischievous/sneaky" face (hence "sly") - very much like Calvin's expression here. You'll note the shape of the grin and the squinted eyes there, and yet Calvin is clearly not Asian, nor is he being drawn to look Asian. When one has a particular sensitivity, one may perceive it even where not intended. I'm sorry that the emoticon strikes you in a racist manner, but I'm equally certain that was not the intention and I'm happy to say that until now that interpretation has never once crossed my mind.

I've sometimes used Sly in situations where what I wish to communicate is a sort of "mwahaha" feeling but less overt than the Evil. If we could find an emoticon with a twirling villain mustache or one gleefully rubbing its hands in mischief (a la Hobbes in that picture), it would do as well or better. I wouldn't object to a better emoticon set, but it's always seemed to me that the work involved might be more than it was really worth.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jan 5 2014, 4:02am

Post #29 of 39 (341 views)
Shortcut
I've always quite liked these [In reply to] Can't Post

and of course my little smaug for the truly irritating Wink Cool

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 5 2014, 5:34am

Post #30 of 39 (382 views)
Shortcut
Well I was going to comment [In reply to] Can't Post

but I now feel sure that my response to a certain individual (complete with snort) would undoubtedly have gone way over the line.

Thank you, Altaira, for reminding me to remain civil. As always you are the voice of wisdom and moderation.

As for the emoticon being racist - it's utterly ridiculous and absurd. Emoticons are silly things but this debate is even sillier.

cats16
Valinor

Jan 5 2014, 7:39am

Post #31 of 39 (334 views)
Shortcut
Those are great, Kel. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gollum one is priceless. Wink

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 5 2014, 1:41pm

Post #32 of 39 (452 views)
Shortcut
Those are GREAT! I especially love the Gandalf one. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 5 2014, 1:41pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2014, 12:20am

Post #33 of 39 (260 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't find the sly happy face racist. [In reply to] Can't Post

At all. Not even a little bit.

Tongue

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 6 2014, 3:30pm

Post #34 of 39 (247 views)
Shortcut
Not so much racist as racy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, an "O"-face on a family board?

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 6 2014, 10:24pm

Post #35 of 39 (220 views)
Shortcut
Adorable! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen those before. But, I consider those to be cute .gifs than emoticons as they don't convey expressions.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 6 2014, 11:43pm

Post #36 of 39 (228 views)
Shortcut
Ever notice how horns on the head always denote evil? [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

What's up with that?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 7 2014, 2:16am

Post #37 of 39 (221 views)
Shortcut
Religious intolerance. [In reply to] Can't Post

As the spouse of a pagan I'd be offended but she believes in taking the high road.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2014, 2:18am

Post #38 of 39 (220 views)
Shortcut
I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

that was a ginger-haired anti-mohawk. Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 8 2014, 4:41am

Post #39 of 39 (214 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I find all emoticons annoying and a waste of internet space... [In reply to] Can't Post

but not as much as someone making an issue out of the appearance of a little round yellow ball with a few dashes to simulate eyes and a mouth.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Jan 8 2014, 4:42am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.