Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Benedict Cumberbatch should play Saruman.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2014, 12:12am

Post #1 of 10 (861 views)
Shortcut
Benedict Cumberbatch should play Saruman. Can't Post

If Saruman is needed in the last movie. As Christopher Lee, bless him, is probably too old to play an active Saruman now, I have thought that Benedict Cumberbatch would be superb in the role. All right, he would need a bit of make-up and do a few pick-ups, but he would be good. And with some long-grey hair and a beard who would notice any difference? And he could claim to have played Saruman, Sauron and Smaug! Not a bad trio of Tolkien villains for his CV!
Sorry, should be moved to the movie's board, obviouslyWink

(This post was edited by Hamfast Gamgee on Jan 7 2014, 12:14am)

demnation
Rohan

Jan 7 2014, 2:06am

Post #2 of 10 (534 views)
Shortcut
Well, Chris Lee has already filmed his scences [In reply to] Can't Post

And no. I'm personally a bit tired of seeing (and hearing) Cumberbatch everywhere.

Without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless

As far as any character is 'like me' it is Faramir–except that I lack what all my characters possess: Courage.

A small knowledge of history depresses one with the sense of the everlasting mass and weight of human iniquity

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2014, 8:25am

Post #3 of 10 (500 views)
Shortcut
Respectfully, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Lee owns the role, I'm fine with him and him alone being the "face" of Saruman. The stuff you've just described Cumberbatch doing would be something more suited to a stunt double (and would probably be much more affordable).

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 7 2014, 8:26am

Post #4 of 10 (479 views)
Shortcut
You don't think Lee did all his stunts in FotR, do you? [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the "wizard smack-down" was done by stunties. Lee has filmed whatever scenes and dialog are needed in England, with green screen. Any action that might be required will be provided by doubles.

Christopher Lee's voice is unmistakable. There's no way Cumberbatch could substitute for him!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 7 2014, 9:57am

Post #5 of 10 (444 views)
Shortcut
Hasn't he taken on enough roles already? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a brilliant actor, but Christopher Lee is Saruman now, and with stunt doubles to cover for him where necessary why should they change? They will probably have filmed what they need already.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 7 2014, 3:35pm

Post #6 of 10 (364 views)
Shortcut
I think they've already shot everything with Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Benedict Cumberbatch and think he's the best actor we've seen on screen (and on stage) in a long, long time. However, I wouldn't like anyone but Lee playing Saruman any more than I'd like someone else playing Gandalf. They belong in those roles. Never mind the age!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jan 7 2014, 3:35pm)

Nevrast
Bree

Jan 7 2014, 6:24pm

Post #7 of 10 (321 views)
Shortcut
He could play Saruman in a LOTR/Hobbit remake in 30-40 years [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. He's 37 now. Would be 67 or 77 then.

Or he could reprise Smaug again but not have to do so much ridiculous dwarf-chasing.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 7 2014, 7:24pm

Post #8 of 10 (317 views)
Shortcut
James McAvoy as Gandalf, BC as Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

The cast of The Silmarillion in a few years is looking pretty amazing Wink

http://www.totalfilm.com/...-in-the-silmarillion

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 8 2014, 12:06am

Post #9 of 10 (276 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee's [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Lee is fantastic.
I wish he played Frodo. He is the best

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jan 9 2014, 4:14am

Post #10 of 10 (253 views)
Shortcut
Sir Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

Let him play everyone!

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.