The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Legolas vs Glorfindel

Cetautomatix
Bree

Jan 6 2014, 5:38pm

Post #1 of 15 (3610 views)
Shortcut
Legolas vs Glorfindel Can't Post

Looking at all the movies made so far by PJ about middle earth my favorite character to look at for fighting scenes would have to be Legolas. He simply rocks!
BUT having read some of the books about the lore of middle earth it seems to me that back in the first age there was a lot of warriors that were considered to be way better fighters than the ones that are still active in the 3rd age.
I can't imagine anyone fighting better than Legolas unless they had supernatural powers.
Could Legolas beat Glorindel in a fight?
I would love for other movies to be made eventually (Silmarillion, etc...) although chances of this happening are next to none.

Cet

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 6 2014, 5:43pm

Post #2 of 15 (3288 views)
Shortcut
If they fought for some reason... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Legolas would be trounced by Glorfindel. Absolutely trounced. After all, Glorfindel (and I'm going with the "Gondolin Glorfindel who came back as Third Age Glorfindel who holds a position of honor in Elrond's house) beat a Balrog!

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 6 2014, 5:43pm

Post #3 of 15 (3262 views)
Shortcut
film vs book [In reply to] Can't Post

you forget elves are elves! forget the films which i dont think really capture what an elf is! all that armor would surely slow them down!

elves can tiptoe across snow, sleep standing up with there eyes open,drink the air, run across the tiniest of ropes, become invisible with camouflage, sing men to sleep, make you dream awake..amongst many other elf magic tricks!

in film world elves seem to be ninjas, they are 100 times more of the earth than we are, and all the magic that comes with that!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Jan 6 2014, 5:45pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 6 2014, 5:45pm

Post #4 of 15 (3264 views)
Shortcut
This... [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindel is THE elf (next to Thranduil of course). Wink

In Reply To
...Legolas would be trounced by Glorfindel. Absolutely trounced. After all, Glorfindel (and I'm going with the "Gondolin Glorfindel who came back as Third Age Glorfindel who holds a position of honor in Elrond's house) beat a Balrog!

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 6 2014, 5:50pm

Post #5 of 15 (3242 views)
Shortcut
Legolas would be destroyed [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 3: Villains)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=697710;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 6 2014, 6:00pm

Post #6 of 15 (3244 views)
Shortcut
not a single chance for Leggy [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope.. no way this little elfling could beat mighty Glorfindel. never ever Tongue The only which might have a chance against Glorfindel would be Echtelion but as this fellow already dwells in Mandos he's out .. and I'm pretty sure Leggy wouldn't even win against his father (hope there are some good fighting scences for Thranduil in BOFA)

In Reply To
Glorfindel is THE elf (next to Thranduil of course). Wink

When it comes to fighting I think not even Thranduil would stand a chance against Glori even though I have to admit that I would love to watch Angelic

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

(This post was edited by CurseOfFeanor on Jan 6 2014, 6:05pm)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Jan 6 2014, 6:08pm

Post #7 of 15 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Not Even Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

if they should even be compared.....

Would you put his skill above a Galadrhim warrior like Haldir?

How about Celeborn?

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jan 6 2014, 7:27pm

Post #8 of 15 (3171 views)
Shortcut
it would not be one sided [In reply to] Can't Post

BOLT II The History of Eriol or Aelfwine

of Legolas:

"He was tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able swiftly to draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgul, endowed with the tremendkus vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship."

So the odds are likely to be in Glorfindels favour due to his heritage (he was the same one in the first and third age, Tolkien wrote an extensive essay on the matter) but Legolas would never be walk over and would be expected to win sometimes, if battles ould be refought as per video games.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2014, 3:27am

Post #9 of 15 (3101 views)
Shortcut
The Elf Lord to beat the Woodland Elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Legolas - book and movie - but he wouldn't be able to best an Elf Lord like Glorfindel.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2014, 6:53pm

Post #10 of 15 (3243 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"on his brow set wisdom, and in his hand was strength."
That's the description of Glorfindel at the Council of Elrond in FoTR. He's Noldorin (high elven) and is the same guy who drives back the Nazgul in a blaze of light as Frodo crosses the river on Glorfindel's horse Asfaloth. When the Hobbits first see him, it seems as if white light is shining through him, as through a thin veil. Tolkien considered writing it into his mythos that this Glorfindel was the reincarnation of the earlier one who died during the Fallagongallin (which is how most of Tolkien's contemporaries heard the title of the tale....he mumbled). Tolkien left this earth before nailing that down in his mythos.

"In Rivendell there live still some of his chief foes: the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power."

I did an entire fanfic on why Glorfindel got written out of two films (he's the one the Hobbits meet on the road to Rivendell, and is replaced, in the animated Bakshi film by Legolas in ballet wear... and in PJ's films by Arwen (grrrrrrrrrrrrr, snarl, argh). In both films, it makes more sense to have a character we will see more of meet the Hobbits, rather than one who will show up and simply vanish out of the tale after a chapter or so (which is actually more like real life: you meet people briefly on the road, and then they are gone).

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1077980/1/Legolas-Shall-Be-For-The-Elves

And this is where the real contest between Glorfindel and Legolas actually takes place in the books.

Why not simply send Glorfindel on the mission with the Fellowship???????

Hey, he just blasted a whole shipload of Nazgul...... experienced, powerful, healing capabilities, wisdom, strength... what's not to love?

Because neither strength nor wisdom will carry you very far upon this quest.

What is needed is what Hobbits have, what Legolas has: youth, flexibility, especially of mind. glorfindel may be a mighty oak, but Legolas will bend like a young tree in the wind. He will be able to make an alliance with one Dwarf, then all of them. He will sing under the stars while others are sharpening their weapons and thinking dread grim thoughts. He will stare in wonder at eyes in the trees. He will keep up the spirits of the three hunters as they race across the Plains of Rohan. He will run on top of the snow and find the sun when the Mighty are bogged down in the drifts.

The elvish spirit isn't just about how many balrogs you can kill, but whether you can continue to see the light of the stars on the darkest night.

Both characters have their strengths. Glorfindel is a mighty Elf Lord who has lived in both realms: the Blessed Realm and Middle-earth. Legolas, before the events of LOTR, had not traveled much beyond the eaves of Mirkwood. If you are looking for military might, then Glorf is your guy... if, however, you want to dance under the stars, or paddle the swift forest river, or learn how to speak to horses, or run on snow... then look up Legolas.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 5:31pm

Post #11 of 15 (3029 views)
Shortcut
Perfect response is perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't add anything to what you have said. I can just bow down in humble agreement.
Legolas was what the Fellowship needed, but that doesn't mean he was more powerful than Glorfindel. I kinda think Glorfindel would curbstomp him...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Mar 15 2014, 11:32pm

Post #12 of 15 (2980 views)
Shortcut
i love this post [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen is a sad substitute to Glorfindel, I'm sorry to say. Glorfindel would kick Legolas' butt any day of the week but the question should be who win a fight between Glorfindel and daddy dearest, Thranduill???

"The Road goes ever on..."

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Mar 16 2014, 7:32pm

Post #13 of 15 (2966 views)
Shortcut
I really liked that posted reply [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindel would curb stomp Leggy. But I am hoping for at least some cool fighting scenes from his daddy in BOFA.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2014, 8:38pm

Post #14 of 15 (2959 views)
Shortcut
you nailed it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the films...
but I love the bookverse Elves more.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 4:21am

Post #15 of 15 (3001 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindel

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.