Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who's already anticipating a fan edit of all three?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 4 2014, 11:42pm

Post #1 of 79 (945 views)
Shortcut
Who's already anticipating a fan edit of all three? Can't Post

So, fan edits are getting better and better these days.

Who's looking forward to when all three films are out in extended format... and a fan takes them into their edit suite and produces a single 3-4 hour movie of them?

I think it could actually be really cool.

DavidDevant
Lorien

Jan 4 2014, 11:58pm

Post #2 of 79 (601 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I've ever understood the point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 12:02am

Post #3 of 79 (600 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if you were going to say more, or just leave it all said in the subject line, but what I would say in reply is...

Film is a very malleable thing. People do amazing things with fan edits.

Sometimes it's because a film is a disaster and the fan edit rescues it. There are fan edits of Dune which are fantastic at doing that, for example.

Sometimes a film has all the right parts, but just doesn't come across well. Sucker Punch is an amazing example of that, and there's a fan edit which does amazing things to its narrative.

In the case of the Hobbit, I think it would be an interesting exercise to trim here and there, and end up with a really fast paced storyline that feels more like reading the book than watching three epic movies.

I think that would be "the point"; to create something new.

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 12:06am

Post #4 of 79 (542 views)
Shortcut

I wouldn't mind seeing a 2-film version just for the hell of it. But a one film version I think would cut too much out.

Either way, fan version are usually never as good as the original... all it's faults notwithstanding.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

DavidDevant
Lorien

Jan 5 2014, 12:07am

Post #5 of 79 (553 views)
Shortcut
Exactly - [In reply to] Can't Post

If it creates something new then there is something to consider - I've just never come across one that does in this context.

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Jan 5 2014, 12:11am

Post #6 of 79 (522 views)
Shortcut
I would imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

That if one just stuck to the basic Hobbit storyline, taking out all of the stuff about the Necromancer, Radagast, the White Council, Tauriel, the extra laketown scenes, etc, by the time of the end of all 3 films, with all the material taken out one could have just about a 2 hour film! All right, some cuts might have to be taken from the book.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 5 2014, 12:40am

Post #7 of 79 (502 views)
Shortcut
I am [In reply to] Can't Post

Disappointed by the movies thus far so I would be open to a fan edit. It would be an interesting exercise to see if a single film (or at least a double feature) could be produced while sticking closer to the original story. It might be a challenge for the editor to make a coherent film out of trimmed down segments of three movies. And I don't know if the final result would be better or worse, cinematically. All I know is that if a fan can produce something closer to the Hobbit movie I've always imagined, I would be all for it.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on Jan 5 2014, 12:43am)

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 12:51am

Post #8 of 79 (493 views)
Shortcut
I will prefer a PJ edit of all six... [In reply to] Can't Post

...which I think he will do later in 2015; and he is the biggest fan.

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 12:55am

Post #9 of 79 (488 views)
Shortcut
He is... but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...which I think he will do later in 2015; and he is the biggest fan.

He is... but... The Hobbit has given me the feeling that the PJ of today is not the PJ who made the LotR films. And that makes perfect sense; he's older, he's more experienced; there's no way he could be the same person.

And I do think, because of that, the current films are very different to the first three. I don't think they sit all that well, side by side.

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 1:00am

Post #10 of 79 (469 views)
Shortcut
we shall see [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I for one will be at the head of the queue ordering the six film boxed set, and disagree with you that after having seen four of them side by that six won't work together; but each to their own. He did indicate in the EE commentary that he might re-edit the last three of the set for continuity with the first three.

Kathuphazg‚n
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 2:30am

Post #11 of 79 (426 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a fan edit of the Hobbit films that cuts out everything related to Tauriel and Azog.

More than anything, these movies would have been better for the absence of those two characters.

Imago Splendoris Regem Hominorum In Gloria Non Obscura Ante Ruptus Mundi.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 5 2014, 2:47am

Post #12 of 79 (438 views)
Shortcut
Don't think it's possible.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... to create a satisfying edit that can tell the story of the Hobbit within 3 to 4 hours. Unless you're willing to sacrifice a lot of book material.

But of course, this is coming from someone who wishes the LOTR films could've been 6 to 9 films instead of 3. We could have had Bombadil, Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir, Ghan buri Ghan, the knights of Dol Amroth, the War in the North fleshed out, etc etc. These things were all cut because of the need to keep things brief for the films' run-times.

So I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I really like the 3 film split and how we get a deeper exploration of the lore in general; the elves from the Woodland Realm for example.

The Hobbit book is too episodic for a single movie, IMO. Tolkien's lore is so rich and the material so vast I cannot imagine a single movie doing it justice. I wouldn't cut a single scene!

Of course I might be proven wrong when I see the eventual fan edits, I dunno. We shall see!

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 3:12am

Post #13 of 79 (420 views)
Shortcut
GoT [In reply to] Can't Post

In some ways, what you want would have been better serviced by a Game of Thrones style series, maybe over 2 or 3 series.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 3:27am

Post #14 of 79 (400 views)
Shortcut
It would be a challenge [In reply to] Can't Post

A challenge I wouldn't accept lol I've tried cutting AUJ, Radagast is an obstacle you just can't get around. I mean you could probably make it look like the dwarves are being chased by the orcs but for me it was very complicated and I haven't the skill to tackle a fan edit. I have ideas of how it could be done but it probably wouldn't work in reality lol I'd go into details of all the things I tried but I want to keep this short.

I've always wanted to see Lord Of The Rings as a TV show. I think one or two chapters would work as an episode it would be cool,they could do the same with The Hobbit too heck that could be season 1 right there with FOTR being season 2 TTT season 3 and ROTK season 4 call it "Middle-Earth" or "Chronicles Of Middle-Earth" something like that

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 3:41am

Post #15 of 79 (374 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've always wanted to see Lord Of The Rings as a TV show. I think one or two chapters would work as an episode it would be cool,they could do the same with The Hobbit too heck that could be season 1 right there with FOTR being season 2 TTT season 3 and ROTK season 4 call it "Middle-Earth" or "Chronicles Of Middle-Earth" something like that

In some ways, TV series like GoT really are the way of the future. If they were going to do LotR now, I have no doubt it would be a TV series, in the wake of GoT's success.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 5 2014, 3:46am

Post #16 of 79 (372 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps! [In reply to] Can't Post

A series would be great! But then again, the budget wouldn't be as high as the full feature films we got. We wouldn't have gotten such a beautiful Minas Tirith with a GoT budget!

There's just no pleasing fans like me, lol.

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 3:48am

Post #17 of 79 (372 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A series would be great! But then again, the budget wouldn't be as high as the full feature films we got. We wouldn't have gotten such a beautiful Minas Tirith with a GoT budget!

There's just no pleasing fans like me, lol.

The cost of CGI has plummeted in the past decade. Moviemakers do more, on smaller budgets, than ever before.

Also, GoT has shown how to be creative with locations. Ireland, Iceland and Croatia are the three main places they film, IIRC, and it works a treat.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 5 2014, 3:49am

Post #18 of 79 (376 views)
Shortcut
Here's an idea [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion as a TV series! There's enough material for 3 seasons at least.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 3:55am

Post #19 of 79 (364 views)
Shortcut
Do You? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you work for Game Of Thrones or are you just a huge fan? lol not being rude just a silly question

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Jan 5 2014, 4:07am

Post #20 of 79 (380 views)
Shortcut
The confrontation with Azog... [In reply to] Can't Post

... at the climax of AUJ would be even harder to cut around, IMO. With the first Orc/Warg chase, you could easily go from right after the troll hoard scene to them heading down the path for Rivendell.

(This post was edited by BalrogTrainer on Jan 5 2014, 4:10am)

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 4:22am

Post #21 of 79 (351 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Do you work for Game Of Thrones or are you just a huge fan? lol not being rude just a silly question

I think it's a great TV series, but there are others I'm way more passionate about. Get me started on Dr Who, for example.

Why it's relevant to this thread is that it's the most popular, big budget TV series that covers a similar kind of look to LotR, so makes itself the obvious point of reference to the topic of LotR as a TV series.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 4:30am

Post #22 of 79 (357 views)
Shortcut
i thought About The Smaug Fight too [In reply to] Can't Post

thee's really no way to cut that scene out because it begins and ends in different areas of Erebor (The treasure room and the main hall) even if you did find a way what about the gold Smaug shakes off as he flies away that has to be explained right?

back to the Radagast issue, before the warg chase What about Bilbo receiving his sword? as he's pulling the sword out the dwarves say "someone's coming" and you can see them running away behind him then afterwards it's reveled to be Radagast. That was a problem I had, do you make it seem like the wargs are the one's that are coming? or just try to cut that part out or just cut Bilbo getting Sting entirely but you can't really do that last one it's an integral part of the movie.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 5 2014, 5:00am

Post #23 of 79 (360 views)
Shortcut
Fan edits [In reply to] Can't Post

Make me have to bite my tongue.Crazy

droidsocket
Rivendell

Jan 5 2014, 5:40am

Post #24 of 79 (338 views)
Shortcut
the only [In reply to] Can't Post

The only fan edit I am interested in is if some one connects all six movies end to end...Thats it. No changes. Just one long Middle Earth movie. Smile

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 5:43am

Post #25 of 79 (323 views)
Shortcut
Now that would be cool [In reply to] Can't Post

No disc changes..just one massive 22 hour film.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 3: Villains)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=697710;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.