Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The army marching out of dol guldur

boldog
Rohan

Jan 4 2014, 10:05pm

Post #1 of 13 (844 views)
Shortcut
The army marching out of dol guldur Can't Post

This is something that really annoyed me. Why show the army marching out of dol guldur to erebor, but not show Azog? He is the one to lead the army, and it seems legit to finish his story in dos, marching in front of the army. Considering, how major Azogs role may be in taba, why end him in such an unclimatic way. The last we really see/hear of him in dos, is when he yells in anger when Gandalf gets away from the orcs.
lets hope EE fixes this

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2014, 10:13pm

Post #2 of 13 (434 views)
Shortcut
I am not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

...what you feel is missing?

It seemed to me that the TE made clear that Azog is Sauron's general, and this is why he was called back to DG. So regardless of what happens in the EE, I expect Azog in TABA will be leading some armies for Sauron.

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 4 2014, 10:47pm

Post #3 of 13 (371 views)
Shortcut
The EE may have more on this, [In reply to] Can't Post

but even as a fan of Azog this did not bother me. We can draw our own conclusions.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 3: Villains)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=697710;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 4 2014, 11:13pm

Post #4 of 13 (368 views)
Shortcut
I hope he is in Goblintown [In reply to] Can't Post

If there's one thing I want to see it's Azog holding a speech in in Goblintown (or at least in Gundabad) as a real leader and summoning more troops for the war against the Dwarves of Erebor. In the book the Goblins from Goblintown left the Misty Mountains because they want to avenge the death of their king. Why shouldn't Azog use that anger and those Goblins as his canon fodder?

That would explain why he isn't in Dol Guldur anymore when the army leaves. Since the army from Dol Guldur is already marching before Smaug even attacks Erebor, before the Elves and Men hold their council, even before Dain in the Iron Hills knows whats going on we need more of Azog/Bolg in the meantime. If the army is marching straight away to Erebor they may even reach it before Smaug destroys Laketown. So here is my theory:

Bolg is returning to the army and leading it (just as he does in the book) while Azog is calling for more troops in Goblintown, Moria and Gundabad. We need something we can cut to except for the Battle of Dol Guldur.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 11:19pm

Post #5 of 13 (316 views)
Shortcut
Didn't bother me either [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even Patton marched in the very front of his army, he led from the best commanding position. I think what we say was just the tip of the iceberg.

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 4 2014, 11:25pm

Post #6 of 13 (286 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not even Patton marched in the very front of his army, he led from the best commanding position. I think what we say was just the tip of the iceberg.

Yes, but by the time Patton was leading armies, no army leaders acted like that, so the comparison is maybe a little off-base.

I think there could be an expectation he'd lead, certainly, but there are reasons why he's not leading.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 4 2014, 11:28pm

Post #7 of 13 (304 views)
Shortcut
I don't see the problem.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They showed part of an orc army - just a snapshot really, to show that the threat exists. We'd seen Azog already -this was something new.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 11:28pm

Post #8 of 13 (274 views)
Shortcut
He could still lead [In reply to] Can't Post

All he has to do is jump onto his white warg. But I think he might get killed by the impending white council attack, than like the book Bolg becomes the supreme commander.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Jan 4 2014, 11:37pm

Post #9 of 13 (287 views)
Shortcut
If one of Azog and Bolg will die in Dol Guldur, and the other in the BOFA... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I really hope Azog dies in the former and Bolg in the latter. If Azog outlives Bolg and leads the army in the climatic battle, I dunno, I'd be disappointed by that. Frown

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 11:42pm

Post #10 of 13 (271 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ probably setup the final fight between Azog and Thorin with what Azog does to Thorin at the end of AUJ.

simonjamesmoore
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 2:33am

Post #11 of 13 (232 views)
Shortcut
no offence... [In reply to] Can't Post

this is a very trivial thing to be worried about..... if movies spent all their time clarifying the finer and obvious details theyd be hours long and boring and would make the viewers feel stupid. i.e. there are somethings that are better left to the audience to assume - this being one of them

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2014, 5:20am

Post #12 of 13 (187 views)
Shortcut
like the eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

its funny how many die hards here want PJ to include a explanation for the eagles for the average moviegoer who probably doesn't give it a second thought as to why they do what they do lol.

photo 7571870d-52f8-4fbd-ba32-585afa7b166b_zps67384231.jpg

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Jan 5 2014, 5:21am)

Lord_Lucan
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 3:01pm

Post #13 of 13 (114 views)
Shortcut
I love that idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog calling his banners, like an evil version of the muster of Rohan Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.