Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Oscar Chances?

Welsh hero

Jan 4 2014, 8:30pm

Post #1 of 10 (576 views)
Oscar Chances? Can't Post

So what do you think is the hobbit's oscar chances this year.

Visual effects nomination is a safe bet

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Jan 4 2014, 8:33pm

Post #2 of 10 (346 views)
Nil for any of the main categories. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knows for some of the technical ones - always somewhat random to predict as far as nominations.

Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 8:46pm

Post #3 of 10 (322 views)
None [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they are going to be nominated for many and they will win none. VFX will go to Gravity.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Jan 4 2014, 9:30pm

Post #4 of 10 (307 views)
None, DOS isn't breaking any new ground. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's improving on what the PJ/Tolkien franchise has always been: amazing fantasy CGI.

Visual effects have been going to movies that are doing new and exciting work like Life of Pi last year and most likely Gravity this year. Unless PJ & Co do something I can't imagine for Bo5A next year, I don't see them collecting any additional Oscars for this franchise.

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 9:34pm

Post #5 of 10 (275 views)
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

And i'm okay with it. Awards well I guess they mean something within the industry but to me, meh. I really don't care.

Having said that I really think there won't be any for this franchise at all. I just don't see it happening. I think there could have been acting noms had it been focused differently (and Freeman has the skills, he just needed the focus and the material) but PJ went in a different direction.

Don't see it happening.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Jan 4 2014, 10:01pm

Post #6 of 10 (301 views)
I believe if Taba is pulled off perfectly [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a decent chance of taking out a number of awards. If the emotions are going to be high in this film, then surely best picture could be there. And as many have already stated, Martin Freeman, and even Richard Armitage deserve Oscars, especially considering thorins story in taba. Sir ian had his chance in the lotr, but nothing came of it then so I don't see why it will happen now.

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 4 2014, 11:30pm

Post #7 of 10 (226 views)
Oscar [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon, like the LotR movies, the best chances at the most Oscars will come with the third film.

Jan 5 2014, 2:13pm

Post #8 of 10 (102 views)
I don’t think TaBA will be nominated for any but a few technical awards… [In reply to] Can't Post

and will win few, if any. But I would be very happy to be wrong.

I love AUJ and DoS and think they are very good, well crafted, beautiful movies. TaBA will probably be the same but IMO it won’t win any award for reasons that have nothing to do with its quality. My thinking:

1) The perception out there that PJ is no longer the little guy from New Zealand undertaking a monumental and impossible task and pulling it off brilliantly. He’s just repeating himself.

2) The groundbreaking approach PJ and Weta took around 2000 is not so new now.

3) I suspect that in Hollywood Tolkien and Middle Earth are not as new and fresh, no longer “in”.

To those of us who love Tolkien’s books and PJ’s movies, nothing has changed. But I think the world has changed.

In the end, nothing can ever take away the designation “Oscar winning director Peter Jackson” etc. for everyone who won an award back in 2001-2003.

Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2014, 6:52pm

Post #9 of 10 (77 views)
My guess is VFX as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Peter Jackson expects more than that for these movies... and that isn't to say that he isn't giving his absolute best.

Based on some interviews he has done, as well as his general attitude for these movies... I think he sees a general separation between the tone of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Not that he isn't trying to make the two trilogies connect and have similar palettes and styling... but more that the tone of this round is more playful, adventurous, humorous and fun... and since the academy typically only nominates and awards "serious" films... he knows what the score is.

My guess is that if TABA has some incredibly epic battle scenes akin to LOTR and the drama of the story lines crescendos the way I think it will, and... because the story takes an even darker and even more serious turn... the Academy will probably take a bit more notice for the 3rd and final film.

But I also think that because these movies are set in the same world and the narrative is structured very closely to LOTR, even though it is obviously very different in distinct ways, lighting won't strike twice in terms of Oscars.

I can see VFX and maybe a supporting actor nom and a win for VFX. While Howard Shore's music is beautiful, he would probably tell you that AUJ never had a chance because in effect those songs were repurposed (and quite effectively). The score for DoS is haunting and wonderful and may have a shot at a nom. but I doubt it will win.

I just think with the amount of accolades that LOTR received and the fact that it preceded The Hobbit, limits the chances of Oscar nominations and wins.

I do hope Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, and Ken Stott all receive some acting nominations. To me, they are deserving of recognition.

Sir Ian McKellan should have won for FOTR, but that ship has sailed. I would be absolutely shocked if he won anything at this point for his work in Middle Earth. Another major mistake by the academy in my opinion. That Fellowship performance was his best in my opinion.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2014, 7:37pm

Post #10 of 10 (75 views)
I will be surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

If there are acting nods. I agree that both Freeman (especially) and Armitage and McKellan have done a great job but the films focused way too much on the action and affects and not enough on character development thus far. It remains to be seen with TABA.

I love the films. Don't get me wrong. I just don't think at this point they are the kind of films that the Academy likes as far as acting nods. Which is too bad really. Freeman especially deserves a nom. I hope he gets one. I really do.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.