Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box office 2014, TABA, "dark vs. light" films - any thoughts? *SPOILERS!!!!*

Avandel
Grey Havens

Jan 4, 6:22pm

Views: 944
Shortcut
Box office 2014, TABA, "dark vs. light" films - any thoughts? *SPOILERS!!!!* Can't Post

Because I'm sure PJ and Warner Brothers are thinking the same things.

Because on the one hand there are threads re anticipating? death scenes and who and how will die, and there's also comments (mine included) who don't relish the idea. Speaking for myself I can't see (at the moment) unlike AUJ and DOS this sounds like a movie I'd want to see over, and over, and over in a theater - depends on Laketown and the battle, I guess. But there are other scenes I can't picture myself just watching again, and again. (Things in the book were a source of frustration for me, from way back). Another thing that's troubling me is the idea that Bard and Legolas will get a huge amount of focus - Legolas (for me) because I personally never needed to know all the details of his mindset and how he became a more "tolerant" elf in LOTR.

So Fandango is listing Hunger Games 1 as the most anticipated film of the year, and that's a group of books where characters "check out" pretty often. Audiences these days seem unfazed by lots of carnage (and George Martin seems to get rid of main characters so often it's lost it's shock value IMO). RA himself has said re Thorin and audiences "they won't like him later" I think referring to the fact he becomes "physically violent" with Bilbo + he's greedy!!!!, so in theory I guess movie audiences aren't supposed to mind what happens to him (NOT).

On the other hand I look around at the DOS audiences I've been with, and there's plenty of kids - seems like the Hobbit still falls into the "family movie" category = $$$ especially at the holidays.
Kids who LIKE Thorin (they understand "king"), Fili, Kili, Tauriel....

So, anyone want to comment on TABA audiences? Do you think TABA will lose the "family audience" due to content? Audience loss due to the fact it's not, re the book, "happy?" Or is that irrelevant because the whole point is Bilbo and/or a prologue to LOTR? Also irrelevant in that you can't exactly call LOTR "happy" and it did just fine? Audience GAIN because it's the "last one" and there's this big love for "dark and gritty" treatments, seemingly? Will PJ and WB, make sure some of the more profound moments be kept short, because the "general" audience won't be paying to see that? Or, who cares what "general audiences" think anyway? They're not fans!!!! And you shouldn't be bringing your kids to these movies anyway,

Personally, I have no idea! Except I'm tempted to think PJ should let it be dark, if it's going to be, and add some goo and blood to those swords, and go for it, and risk the R rating.

Subject User Time
Box office 2014, TABA, "dark vs. light" films - any thoughts? *SPOILERS!!!!* Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 4, 6:22pm
    death book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Jan 4, 6:28pm
        dare I say it..... Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 4, 6:42pm
            Sure... guitarzankansasfan Send a private message to guitarzankansasfan Jan 4, 7:21pm
                Sorry guys... Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Jan 4, 7:50pm
                    Not sure why you are apologising with 'sorry guys' patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Jan 4, 8:05pm
                    I'm not sure that's much of a factor. DavidDevant Send a private message to DavidDevant Jan 4, 8:17pm
                    True Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 5, 2:52am
                You Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Jan 4, 9:07pm
                This is not logical. Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Jan 6, 5:13am
            No offense Avandel... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Jan 5, 12:37am
                I'm not offended, but thank you Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 5, 2:30am
        I don't think they are going to alter the deaths... Owain Send a private message to Owain Jan 5, 6:32pm
    Kids mature Wilfred Send a private message to Wilfred Jan 4, 6:35pm
    I know they want to make as much money as possible... tsmith675 Send a private message to tsmith675 Jan 4, 6:43pm
    I think... *spoilers for book/TABA* arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jan 4, 6:58pm
    It will not lose the family audience Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Jan 4, 7:04pm
    Children's stories have contained death for the majority of their history DavidDevant Send a private message to DavidDevant Jan 4, 7:10pm
    The audience is very broad one ... patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Jan 4, 7:12pm
        R rating Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Jan 4, 7:23pm
            If it ends up being R I will be dissapointed, but I don't think it will happen Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Jan 4, 8:14pm
                good points IMO Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 5, 2:35am
                I saw that also Taladamir Send a private message to Taladamir Jan 5, 5:25pm
                    Keeping in mind that I do like that website and the reviewers there... Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Jan 6, 4:04pm
                Theatrical release will never be R. warhorse78 Send a private message to warhorse78 Jan 6, 3:56am
    Interesting thoughts Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jan 4, 8:51pm
    I doubt that the darkness of the ending will affect the box office of TaBA, Noria Send a private message to Noria Jan 4, 9:17pm
        Same here.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 4, 11:17pm
    PG 13 for sure. Name Send a private message to Name Jan 4, 9:36pm
    ROTK Tops the List IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Jan 4, 10:55pm
    Personally, Hanzkaz Jan 5, 3:46am
        unworthy replacment....... Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 5, 5:30pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.