Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
You can say a lot about these movies, but... (Cast/Crew)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 4 2014, 4:01pm

Post #1 of 15 (985 views)
Shortcut
You can say a lot about these movies, but... (Cast/Crew) Can't Post

You can say a whole lot of things about these movies. Whether you love them or hate them, but I just can't tell you just how much I adore the cast and crew.

I finally got to buy the Extended Edition yesterday and just like with Lord of the Rings it's such a joy to watch 90% because of how absolutely endearing not only the cast is, but the crew is.

I mean, moments like when Ian (Gandalf) had such a hard time the first day in the "green screen world" and the crew decided to style up his make up tent and such? How lovely is that? I mean I can even find myself get teary eyed. What is that!?! XD
And the cast - all these personalities and humor. It's like Lord of the Rings cast all over again, but new people just as brilliant. Very entertaining to watch these dvds.

Anyway I'm ranting. I just see so much negativity around and wanted to post this. Hope it's okay. Blush

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Jan 4 2014, 4:02pm)

mutelock
Bree

Jan 4 2014, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 15 (462 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I love watching the EEs. All these lovely people getting together to make a movie. It looks like they had the best time of their lives.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 4 2014, 4:12pm

Post #3 of 15 (460 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it's OK - and I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of the things that sets these films apart is that there are absorbing stories going on at the same time. One is the story onscreen - Tolkien's story re-interpreted for the films.

The other is the behind-the-scenes story of how the films were made. The struggles and the setbacks, the people involved and how they relate to each other, and the efforts they go to to get the films out on time, and to make them so special. I don't recall any other films that have shared the story of the making in quite the same way - the Harry Potter films are the only ones to have come anywhere near, and only really towards the end of the series, and after it finished. With Peter Jackson's films the two stories have run in tandem from the start, and I think that has an effect on the way the finished films are viewed - it does for me, anyway.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 4 2014, 4:58pm

Post #4 of 15 (402 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just getting through ALL of the Appendices, haven't finished yet. One of the things that has always struck me is the sheer labor involved, and I cannot believe the roomful of sophisticated cameras and computers - how do you keep all that straight, and without crashing? Martin Freeman was right when he said it was like being at NASA.

Drives me crazy that all of those beautiful sets and costumes get packed away. Stuff like Beorn's house I just wish they would build for real (like Hobbiton) and keep as a tourist attraction, maybe combine with a museum of props. But I guess technically a lot of it belongs to Warner Brothers.

Subaruman
Bree

Jan 4 2014, 5:06pm

Post #5 of 15 (351 views)
Shortcut
Agree 100%// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jan 4 2014, 5:29pm

Post #6 of 15 (349 views)
Shortcut
It's soooo true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's partly why these movies are so enjoyable. You know all the effort that goes into these films (more than any movie I've EVER seen) and the cats is so incredibly entertaining. I love their senses of humor and the love each one of them has for being in these films.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 4 2014, 5:31pm

Post #7 of 15 (356 views)
Shortcut
Oh god I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of the most painful things I learned from the LotR EE's was that they had to demolish what they had built of Edoras! Shocked I wanted to cry lol. But seriously though Edoras! Imagine the tourism and just how plainly gorgeous it would have been if the Golden Hall would have been left standing!

Slight off topic, but yeah I totally agree.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 6:03pm

Post #8 of 15 (317 views)
Shortcut
It seems we've both gotten the EE at the same time :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched that part about Ian last night and I thought it was so sweet what the crew did for him!Heart That moment when Ian got so frustrated in green screen world that he had to stop and cry for a moment made me want to just hug him and tell him it would be ok. Thankfully, PJ and crew pretty much did that for me!

The more of the EE I watch the more I am stuck by how wonderfully kind and generous the entire cast and crew is. They really support and take care of each other, but are still able to joke around like a close-knit family. They also treat all the members of the team, everyone from the actors to the set designers, equally which is something you (unfortunately) don't always find on movie sets.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 6:44pm

Post #9 of 15 (303 views)
Shortcut
You can tell these people are genuinly excited about making this trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Unlike many Hollywood productions where crew members often don't even know what they're working on. It's just another job for them.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2014, 9:20pm

Post #10 of 15 (263 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone else get the feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

that with the Hobbit appendices, we heard from more of the crew who aren't team leaders than we did with the LOTR appendices? That was my impression, and I really appreciated getting their perspective and comments.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 4 2014, 11:13pm

Post #11 of 15 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think you're right... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it does make a difference.

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 4 2014, 11:33pm

Post #12 of 15 (175 views)
Shortcut
Sadly... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Drives me crazy that all of those beautiful sets and costumes get packed away. Stuff like Beorn's house I just wish they would build for real (like Hobbiton) and keep as a tourist attraction, maybe combine with a museum of props. But I guess technically a lot of it belongs to Warner Brothers.

Sadly, though, a lot of sets just wouldn't cope with "real life" day in day out. They are built well, but not as well as what's required for that.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 4 2014, 11:36pm

Post #13 of 15 (177 views)
Shortcut
It's not a rant, it's a rave! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I totally agree with you. It's amazing to see the level of effort they all put into these films. And I love how they all talk about the family environment there. And yes, that moment with Ian was very touching, as was a later moment when Martin is talking about a fan who visited the Hobbiton set and got to dress up in costume. Heart

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 12:37am

Post #14 of 15 (147 views)
Shortcut
Rave! I like it XD [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah yeah that about the fan in the Shire was nice and how Martin teared up and all. Gosh I just love him more and more with each moment Sly Everything from the sweet moments to that to all the showing his middle finger to everyone... gaaah these boys Angelic

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 5 2014, 3:04am

Post #15 of 15 (121 views)
Shortcut
I guess that's true [In reply to] Can't Post

the only thing I can think of is building Beorn's house but then having everything cordoned off - but I'd want to sit in Beorn's carved chair, run my hands over the carvings - and imagine a lot of other people would as well. They'd have to cast everything in concrete.

At least when I get the DVD/BR I will be able to freeze scenes and stare as much as I want.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.