The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
laments of the broken hearted
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

annathepiper

Jan 14 2014, 6:46am

Post #26 of 28 (278 views)
Shortcut
I was gonna say... [In reply to] Can't Post

... you over there writing your own Silmarillion, or what? ;)

Anyway, I'll definitely look as I can. Can't guarantee time frame, I'm writing stuff under contract, with deadlines and stuff, so I gotta focus on that!

But I've been having a yen to read some stuff pertaining to the dwarves so I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Angela

Angela Highland * Angela Korra'ti * angelahighland.com

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2014, 3:43pm

Post #27 of 28 (289 views)
Shortcut
cosplaying modern people in Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

...is one of the best lines I've read about fandom....

Tolkien clearly understood ancient cultures and time periods. Fans have a tendency to do the Disney thing (PS, I actually love Disney, but they do this) of putting modern dialog and viewpoints into fairy tales (well, 6 year olds have to understand it).

I haven't had a chance to read your fic, but have it bookmarked. It sounds as if you have a good handle on Middle-earth. Tolkien once said something about leaving room for other hands wielding pen or brush... I'm not a purist (as long as the author understands the world and the original author). I think Middle-earth has become, like King Arthur or Robin Hood, a kind of cultural mythology which will continue to be expanded upon and added to. And even the awful fanfic writers are, we hope, learning something.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 14 2014, 8:00pm

Post #28 of 28 (362 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I meant- many people don't use proper dialog or understand Tolkien's world when they write fan fiction. Disneyfying it (for lack of a better word) is an excellent analogy for what a lot of fans who don't understand the source material do.

I agree- Tolkien's world was so complex and in depth that he made it possible to provide the framework to do thousands upon thousands of stories that still remain true to ME within his world. He appreciated creativity, and I think he would be astounded at the effect his work had upon millions of people around the world.

Which fic is bookmarked? I am just curious, as I technically posted the main one of this thread, and linked my other one in some replies Smile The main one in the thread is a one-shot, so it isn't very long. The other one is about 240,000 words of actual story (not counting guest review responses).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.