The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
trilogy awards

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 31 2013, 9:48pm

Post #1 of 13 (538 views)
Shortcut
trilogy awards Can't Post

do you think certain awards are holding out untill the trilogy is out to give nominations? a bit like when return of the king swept the board felt like they were waiting untill then? (anyhing from actors to cgi, to hair to editing)

i cant believe the 'industry' wont want to give something to peter jackson not only for making so much money for warners but for the actual achievement of topping box office lists again. we know its not all about the best film and its all corrupt anyway.

i cant help thinking if pj doesnt get some more recognition for repeating his achievements and taking movie making forward (not forgetting the cash) then pj might not be interested in making quite so many blockbusters in the future.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Dec 31 2013, 10:00pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 31 2013, 9:53pm

Post #2 of 13 (347 views)
Shortcut
if anyone [In reply to] Can't Post

gets an award for this trilogy, it should be Martin Freeman.

He doesn't play Bilbo-he IS Bilbo! What a fantastic performance!

I don't usually care about awards for a film, but if he doesn't get one for this I will be cranky, just because it's the best acting of a character I have seen in a LONG time in any movie. Sir Ian comes in a very close second, but Martin's execution of Bilbo is unbelievable!

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 31 2013, 9:59pm

Post #3 of 13 (318 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't envisage any major nominations for the two so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really that sort of standard I don't think.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 31 2013, 10:02pm

Post #4 of 13 (300 views)
Shortcut
missed my points [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not really that sort of standard I don't think.

my point being AFTER THE TRILOGY IS RELEASED and i also made the point its not always about the quality for award nominations, but recognition.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 31 2013, 10:05pm

Post #5 of 13 (287 views)
Shortcut
Well I can't comment on the last film. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was responding to your question of whether anyone was "holding out" by commenting that no - I just don't think they would be under consideration.

And I don't see that quality or recognition would be of the right standard, based on the existing two.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Dec 31 2013, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 13 (289 views)
Shortcut
Same here... Martin Freeman has earned a nomination ten times over... [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2013, 11:13pm

Post #7 of 13 (235 views)
Shortcut
Hear,hear! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ż Victoria Monfort

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 31 2013, 11:30pm

Post #8 of 13 (249 views)
Shortcut
I doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

that PJ's movie choices are influenced by the recognition he received for previous movies.

I'll be surprised if the films don't get a special effects award or two somewhere along the line. I'd love for Martin to be at least nominated for something for his acting but I'm not holding out hope, as I think fantasy still isn't taken as seriously as it could be in the film industry.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 31 2013, 11:58pm

Post #9 of 13 (233 views)
Shortcut
Very true, but I don't expect it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't expect it for a number of reasons.

1. It's an ensemble picture and it's hard to get acting nominations for ensemble films. Martin and Richard are pretty much sharing the limelight so far, and in the end it's Richard who gets the death scene. It would be unfair, but if anyone were to be nominated it wouldn't surprise me if it was Richard, even though Martin is doing such stellar work.

2. It's a blockbuster and acting noms rarely are given for blockbuster/action films. Same with comedy. It's an unfortunate prejudice, but it exists. Harking back to my first point, Richard is getting the dark drama, Martin the lighter "comedy" role. (Not comedy as in "ha ha", but the leaven that lightens the mix).

3. The Hobbit isn't as serious as LOTR, and so it's being accorded less respect by the critics. And even LOTR got very few acting nominations (and no Oscar nominations for acting).

4. Been there, done that. ROTK won all the awards and so they're kind of done. I don't think the award voters think this trilogy is as good or as ground-breaking. It's "more of the same, only less good" in many peoples' eyes, and for fantasy to win the main awards (acting, writing, directing) it has to be really extraordinary and mind-blowing. LOTR was that in its time. The Hobbit isn't, in large part because of LOTR and the popular emphasis on fantasy and "geek" movies in the years since then.

I don't expect many industry awards, even if everyone loves TABA. But the cast may get some audience-based awards, like Peoples' Choice, etc.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 1 2014, 12:39am

Post #10 of 13 (201 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of really good performances in these films, but he leads the field. Very special and deserves to be recognised

frodolives
Lorien

Jan 1 2014, 1:30am

Post #11 of 13 (188 views)
Shortcut
Don't hold your breath [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
do you think certain awards are holding out untill the trilogy is out to give nominations? a bit like when return of the king swept the board felt like they were waiting untill then? (anyhing from actors to cgi, to hair to editing)

i cant believe the 'industry' wont want to give something to peter jackson not only for making so much money for warners but for the actual achievement of topping box office lists again. we know its not all about the best film and its all corrupt anyway.

i cant help thinking if pj doesnt get some more recognition for repeating his achievements and taking movie making forward (not forgetting the cash) then pj might not be interested in making quite so many blockbusters in the future.

The feeling toward these films is nothing like what LOTR received. I doubt you will see any of the films win any major awards, to be honest. Industry reaction has been silent thus far, whereas all three LOTR films won numerous awards, or were at least nominated.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 1 2014, 4:20pm

Post #12 of 13 (104 views)
Shortcut
*grins* well, RA just took the Anglophile channel award for British Artist of the Year [In reply to] Can't Post

British artist of the year 2014 = fan love. (You can watch countdown at:
http://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be)

These kinds of awards may not be "prestige" awards, but it's not that the movie industry isn't paying attention - so I'm happy for the actors - in this case RA - because figure those kinds of awards help open doors when casting discussions are going on.

AND seems to me the "prestige" awards have gotten so political in their own right, "popular" awards aren't going to hurt in bringing notice to a performance or a film. Also, and this has been discussed before, "prestige" awards are wonderful but what if only 100,000 people ever see that work, and only at "arthouse" movie theaters?

PS. Meaning no disrespect, but the idea that RA might get an award because he has a "death scene" made me laugh, because it reminded me of a story when so many professional ice skaters were "dying" on the ice as part of their routines the industry finally started putting its foot down. Don't pay attention to most awards and the shows generally bore me, but are we really at the point when a part has to be dark, gritty, and you have to die or have a hopeless future to receive an award?

PS2 I'd hand Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage awards in a nanosecond - Martin Freeman IS Bilbo and RA has done something remarkable with Thorin. And kudos to Ian McKellan as well for all of his energy as our beloved Gandalf.

AriesT
Bree

Jan 1 2014, 5:55pm

Post #13 of 13 (89 views)
Shortcut
More noms, no wins. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not see this trilogy to win any Oscar or major award after the third movie is out.
Even if the third one will be the best of the trilogy with a lot of golden Bilbo moments, to push Martin's chances in recieving an acting nomination, and not-so-flawed editing and CG.

I suppose, the Oscars 2015 will see a battle between Interstellar and GOTG in the technical categories. If those movies will be as good as we currently hope.
And I do not see, like mentioned before in another topic, DoS (and the trilogy in general) recieving nominations in the big categories unfortunately.
I could as well be totally wrong.

To Peter Jackson:
Not many directors on this planet get the chance to adapt two of the most legendary novels of all time. Not many directors were THAT profitable with their blockbusters. He adapted the probably most complex and epic fantasy book ever written.
We all know what he did for us Tolkien fans. No matter if we like his adaptions or not, he was the one who dared making those movies, making the LOTR production an epic tale for the crew as well, regarding the 440 days of shooting. He captured New Zealand in an incredibly beautiful way, so that every fan on earth will always believe this is the true Middle-earth as Tolkien described it in his books.
No matter what PJ does in the future and no matter if The Hobbit trilogy will win one award, I will always salute him for bringing Middle-earth to the big screen.

That being said, he will direct Tintin 2 afterwards. So he won't stop making blockbusters yet. :)

I am Aries and this is my zodiac sign.
Wantto check out my music? I got a Youtube account. Feel free to click me :)

(This post was edited by AriesT on Jan 1 2014, 5:56pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.