Worst moment in DOS
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Macfeast
Rohan

Dec 30 2013, 2:52am

Post #101 of 108 (234 views)
Shortcut
Something I've mentioned in regards to Azog in AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

A minute of screentime is never "just a minute"; A lot of things can be done in a single minute, and indeed, many of the series most poignant moments were wrapped up in a minute or two.

Eurolock
Bree

Dec 30 2013, 4:14am

Post #102 of 108 (228 views)
Shortcut
Nothing was sang about the wheelbarrow in Laketown.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The molten gold echoes the lines spoken in the book by the people of Laketwon - 'his rivers golden run. . . . The rivers are running gold from the Mountain.' I love that association. As for the statue (in the 'Hall of Kings', no less) it's the most perfect expression of the pride and worship of gold which brought about the ruin of Thror's kingdom. And the shot of Smaug face-to-face with it before it melts is priceless.

Those things aren't accidental - a lot of thought went into that imagery.

Still don't see why the rivers running gold as a literal translation is particularly clever. Certainly, the Laketown folk didn't sing anything about the king of the Mountain surfing said golden river on a wheelbarrow...so I maintain this was a pointless and frankly ridiculous scene.

I do understand the thought that went into the golden statue imagery...but I just don't think they set this up in a manner that was in any way believable. The fact that the golden statue trap achieved absolutely nothing did little to add impact to the scene.

sphdle1
Gondor

Dec 30 2013, 6:04am

Post #103 of 108 (217 views)
Shortcut
I don't think PJ is Oscar sick [In reply to] Can't Post

His movies are still awesome. Look at James Camerons Avatar, one of the best selling movies of all time, yet he was completely snubbed at the Oscars because of politics. The Oscars mean nothing and I think both PJ and Cameron both know it by now.

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 30 2013, 8:45am

Post #104 of 108 (208 views)
Shortcut
It might also point to DOS's.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...strengths which it certainly did for me. The little details and references were great.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 30 2013, 8:52am

Post #105 of 108 (214 views)
Shortcut
...remember this is in part a childrens movie (in deference to the book) [In reply to] Can't Post

...and what we (might) find ridiculous kids love. Look at the thread on what the under 10s love about the movie. PJ is working to five demographics here (and does it very well), and he says as much in the AUJ commentary as to why he did not show blood (starting on splatter movies himself)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 30 2013, 9:32am

Post #106 of 108 (203 views)
Shortcut
Achieved absolutely nothing??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if you can see nothing in the juxtaposition of those images - Thorin, the golden statue - Smaug, face-to-face with the golden statue - the rivers of gold - brief glimpse of Smaug the Golden - Smaug shedding gold as he flies into the night sky, then there's really no more to be said.

Try to score points off the film if it makes you happy, but you'll miss a lot. I'd say imagination and a sense of wonder are better companions where fantasy is concerned.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Dec 30 2013, 9:34am)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Dec 30 2013, 3:58pm

Post #107 of 108 (183 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel is a great addition to the story which surprised me as well. Lilly's acting was spectacular, the character was likeable, and the "romance", while a bit much, had its good qualities which I too didn't appreciate until the second viewing. Also, Shore is at the TOP of his game with Tauriel. Her theme is pretty nice itself, but what I especially love is "The White Light of Forever" song featured in "Feast of Starlight", "Kingsfoil" and "Beyond the Forest" on the soundtrack. While Shore's score for LOTR beats the hobbit scores by masses, "Beyond the Forest" is arguably the most beautiful piece of music in the entire series IMHO.

About the worst moment, I agree with the OP, its a terrible moment and completely Non-Tolkien. The rest of the relationship is simple and pure; this moment was crass and immature, especially for a scene in middle-earth.

The worst sequence would be the climax due to Smaug's lack of using fire (Smaug: Thorin's taunting me, I'm going to burn them all! Darn they hid behind the bars of the gate, oh their running towards the forges now. Wait seriously? Some of them are just going to sit there beyond the gate. Of course I could just send another flash of fire into there and kill them, but that would be too easy. I'm going to smash through the gate, and then burn them. Yeah! It will just be so much more satisfying for me!). But it too had a few good moments, the gold statue was pretty cool and I LOVE the unique wheelbarrow scene. Why? Yeah I know its a dumb reason, but it will just make working in the yard so much more epic as I run with my wheelbarrow pretending to dodge dragon limbs! Tongue Laugh

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Eurolock
Bree

Dec 31 2013, 2:20am

Post #108 of 108 (166 views)
Shortcut
Nothing...in terms of progressing the plot... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, if you can see nothing in the juxtaposition of those images - Thorin, the golden statue - Smaug, face-to-face with the golden statue - the rivers of gold - brief glimpse of Smaug the Golden - Smaug shedding gold as he flies into the night sky, then there's really no more to be said.

Try to score points off the film if it makes you happy, but you'll miss a lot. I'd say imagination and a sense of wonder are better companions where fantasy is concerned.

As I said in my original post i appreciated what they were going for in terms of imagery - you could hardly miss it, it wasn't exactly subtle. What I meant by 'achieved nothing' was that Smaug had just announced that he was off to destroy Laketown before the statue scene...and after the statue scene he just does what he was planning to do anyway.

I wasn't seeking to 'score points' off the film. Just answering the original question in the thread. There was plenty of things that I admired in the movie...this just wasn't one of them.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.