The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Scenes and characters that was cut out in LOTR trilogy

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 27 2013, 1:47pm

Post #1 of 4 (574 views)
Shortcut
Scenes and characters that was cut out in LOTR trilogy Can't Post

If scenes like the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth were included, quick skirmish of fighting of the Westfold by Erkenbrand and he joins with Eomer at the charge of Helm's deep, short fighting at the ford of Isen by Theodred and Grimbold, see the fierce easterlings fighting in battle of pelennor field, shots of Lothlorien, Erebor under siege and defeating Sauron forces. Would that ruin the movie or make the tolkien purists happy?

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Dec 27 2013, 1:48pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 2:20pm

Post #2 of 4 (340 views)
Shortcut
Bring it on [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see all of that and more. It's difficult to bring in new characters late in the game, but I missed Imrahil and the Swan Knights.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2013, 10:18pm

Post #3 of 4 (268 views)
Shortcut
I think most of these would be poor additions [In reply to] Can't Post

At any rate they would need to be considered on their individual merits.

The worst would be Erebor. First, the non-Tolkien audience would have NO idea what it is. And second, ten years later the design team making "The Hobbit" would have their hands tied to some degree in designing THE key location for that series, by something they did for a quick throw-away moment in LotR.

I could imagine showing Lothlorien, maybe, in some sort of montage (audience would at least know what it is) but I thought the Elves showing up at Helm's Deep sort of removed the need for that, showing us the Elves are still fighting Sauron along with the Men. (It would also raise the question of why did they not stay home if there was fighting to be done there?)

Imrahil is one that would require a rewrite of the movies as they exist. He could not show up before the beacons are lit, as Movie Denethor is not making any reasonable preparations for war, like calling on Imrahil and leaders of the other regions of Gondor. If he showed up during the siege, he would be stealing Theoden's thunder (which, considering that scene is in my humble opinion, PERFECT, is a risk I would not have him take). Showing up after would be sort of pointless. Yes, he could tag along to Morannon, but I don't see that this would satisfy his fans. I suppose one could have him show up in the ships with Aragorn (instead of the Dead, which many fans would adore) but that would require adding a LOT to the film. We'd have to see the pirates raiding Dol Amroth and the southern fiefs, the Dead defeating the pirates, and Imrahil agreeing to follow Aragorn with his men. The movie is too long as it is...

I'm not sure what showing Theodred fight would achieve, other than making TTT longer. He's already in it, and we can deduce he fought (not very successfully...) Likewise we see the Westfold, just have no named fighter character associated to it.

warhorse78
Bree

Jan 6 2014, 3:03am

Post #4 of 4 (172 views)
Shortcut
Totally irrelevant [In reply to] Can't Post

As of now, but I liked how in the book, Legolas heard the gulls, and wanted to go to the sea right then and there, and Gimli pleaded him not to go yet.

There was also a scene in the book with Legolas, it was touched upon a little ion the movie, but in the book, when they get to Fanghorn Forest, he called his companions "children" and I thought that was cute.

No, I have not read all of Tolkien's work, but I did brush what I could on my favorite character.Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.