Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Most evil/sinister voice of any villain in movie history?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 5:12am

Post #1 of 25 (578 views)
Shortcut
Most evil/sinister voice of any villain in movie history? Can't Post

I've seen DOS four times now and each time smaug's voice sends chills up my spine! his voice is sooo evil! I'm trying to think of another villain that can match smaug's voice and i really can't...When i first saw DOS and smaug says; "Liar!" to Bilbo i almost had a heart attack! I think Cumberbatch should be nominated for a voice acting award.

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 27 2013, 5:13am)

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 5:14am

Post #2 of 25 (346 views)
Shortcut
tim curry [In reply to] Can't Post

tim curry in the film legend, almost the same voice as smaug, and again tim curry in IT

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 5:48am

Post #3 of 25 (307 views)
Shortcut
carrie underwood [In reply to] Can't Post

carrie underwood as maria in the sound of music. purest evil.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 9:05am

Post #4 of 25 (395 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget Sauron / the Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Cumberbatch did a great job with that voice too. It was more evil sounding than Smaug, in my opinion. I loved his recitation of the "Ash Nazg Durbatuluk..." ring poem.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 27 2013, 9:26am

Post #5 of 25 (246 views)
Shortcut
James Earl Jones... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as Darth Vader would be another contender. And more on topic, Christopher Lee's voice for Saruman is pretty epic.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 9:51am

Post #6 of 25 (267 views)
Shortcut
From Raiders of the Lost Ark [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember his name, if a name is even given, but that creepy little German guy in black who kind of giggles as he threatens to torture Marian always made me shiver. I guess he's more the Peter Lorre type villain - wheezy and weasley - rather than the Cumberbatch, James Earl Jones cool and in command type villian.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 11:58am

Post #7 of 25 (223 views)
Shortcut
Also Lionel Barrymore as Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life [In reply to] Can't Post

His voice drips with disdain, spite, and pure malice.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 11:59am

Post #8 of 25 (220 views)
Shortcut
*snert* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 2:01pm

Post #9 of 25 (212 views)
Shortcut
his name... [In reply to] Can't Post

... toht.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

glor
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 25 (196 views)
Shortcut
I have drawn this comparison before... [In reply to] Can't Post

Antony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

there was something about Cumberpatch's delivery that reminded me of Hannibal, the cold psychopath playing with his prey, teasing, to relieve the boredom of his imprisonment. When you think about it, Smaug's love of gold has him imprison himself in Erebor.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 4:12pm

Post #11 of 25 (186 views)
Shortcut
Ramsay Bolton/Snow - Game of Thrones // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2013, 4:34pm

Post #12 of 25 (188 views)
Shortcut
Peter Lorre in everything he did. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even his good guy roles sounded sinister.

For top villainess, Eleanor Audley as Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty (1959), Evil Stepmother in Cinerella (1950), and various other roles.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 5:42pm

Post #13 of 25 (177 views)
Shortcut
*ahem* Live musical is not a movie or even the movie version of SoM. ;) Also, I disagree. // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Dec 27 2013, 5:43pm)

demnation
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 5:43pm

Post #14 of 25 (181 views)
Shortcut
David Warner [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got a wonderfully sneering voice that has brought to life many an excellent villain.

Without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless

As far as any character is 'like me' it is Faramir–except that I lack what all my characters possess: Courage.

A small knowledge of history depresses one with the sense of the everlasting mass and weight of human iniquity

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 5:46pm

Post #15 of 25 (191 views)
Shortcut
George Sanders [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know him from anything other than The Jungle Book as the character of Shere Khan the tiger, but he had the kind of voice that just dripped with haughty malice. If he were alive today, he would have been my choice for the voice of Smaug, in a more character driven, less epic, The Hobbit. The scene in The Jungle Book where Shere Khan interrogates Kaa the snake has a similar tone as the encounter between Bilbo and Smaug.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 6:11pm

Post #16 of 25 (169 views)
Shortcut
ha! 'tis true that that was not a tradtional movie : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

.... but... it was on the digital airwaves, and it "moved" on television. ; )

alright. what about justin bieber? now +that's+ the voice of evil incarnate.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 6:13pm

Post #17 of 25 (173 views)
Shortcut
george sanders... [In reply to] Can't Post

george sanders... .what a voice (!)

and ditto re davd warner. he can do malice (thuggish or arch-nemesis-ish) so well.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 7:06pm

Post #18 of 25 (157 views)
Shortcut
yeah he did a really creepy voice for Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

but there's wasn't too much of it, perhaps TABA we'll get more!

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 27 2013, 7:07pm)

cats16
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 8:14pm

Post #19 of 25 (148 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Devil's voice in The Exorcist is one that comes to mind.

I completely agree with glor on Hannibal Lecter. Hopkins did something there that will be remembered forever.

Also, perhaps Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh. That's a voice that stayed with me for awhile.

Cumberbatch's voice is wonderful as both Smaug and The Necromancer.

Retro315
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 9:06pm

Post #20 of 25 (136 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly Ra's al Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series, though I found him pretty hilariously mustache-twirling in Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits.

Terazed
Bree

Dec 28 2013, 2:46am

Post #21 of 25 (135 views)
Shortcut
pure sung evil [In reply to] Can't Post

James Morris singing Claggart's aria in Benjamin Britten's 'Billy Budd'. I remember when it was broadcast on PBS in 1997 and then seeing it in person vividly. When he sings, "Oh beauty, oh handsomeness, goodness you are surely in my power tonight. Nothing can defend you! Nothing can defend you! Nothing! Nothing! Nothing! So may it be!." it is pure evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSLt2oJebEM

The aria actually starts around 1:19.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2013, 6:13pm

Post #22 of 25 (101 views)
Shortcut
George Sanders in the Ghost and Mrs. Muir [In reply to] Can't Post

He plays an author who likes to "collect" female acquaintances. *shiver* his voice is like very very dangerous velvet.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 28 2013, 6:20pm

Post #23 of 25 (96 views)
Shortcut
What a great one - I LOVE that movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
George Sanders in the Ghost and Mrs. MuirHe plays an author who likes to "collect" female acquaintances. *shiver* his voice is like very very dangerous velvet.

(What we've missed...what we've both missed..." Oh I love that scene. Heart Thanks for making me think of it again.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in March, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 28 2013, 9:15pm

Post #24 of 25 (90 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tough but my choices would be:

Doug Bradley as Pinhead in the first Hellraiser. His calm but menacing accent still scares me.

James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom in Conan. As awesome as Vader is, JEJ really brought it for Thulsa Doom. So creepy.

I like Smaug and do not find him scary.

Belegdir
Bree

Dec 30 2013, 5:30pm

Post #25 of 25 (72 views)
Shortcut
Vincent Price [In reply to] Can't Post

Not always a villain, but Price somehow always sounded sinister to me.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.