Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
your hobbit film
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 2:21am

Post #1 of 37 (703 views)
Shortcut
your hobbit film Can't Post

*this is a thread about the possibility of a different hobbit film being made one day, not a dig at pj, just for fun

I love PJ hobbit just as much as the next..hobbit but stylistically it isnt how envisaged it.

what film in essence is the closet to your vision of the hobbit when you imagined it in a film, or how youd prefer it to feel.i talking more visually and stylistically.

for me something like ridley scotts legend has that fairy feel to it that the hobbit feels like , but also a lot of realism and darkness. chuck in elements of henson 80's at its most interesting, a bit of terry gilliam some and i think thats what my perfect hobbit film would feel like.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 2:33am

Post #2 of 37 (440 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed Legend [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would've enjoyed GDT's complete vision of Middle-Earth even more...

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 2:34am

Post #3 of 37 (410 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Was just thinking this...GdT's two-film version using Legend as a springboard.

"Not tall, but broad and grim...wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 2:34am

Post #4 of 37 (410 views)
Shortcut
Similar to what it is [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd want it to be similar to what it is but toned back just a bit. it looks great in my opinion but it does have a different feel to it, less reverent then LOTR I think.

On a side note I have actually written my own version of The Hobbit started it on 2008 and finished it last year. I still every once in a while update bits and pieces of it. I'm quite proud of it I'd love to be the one to make another Hobbit movie I'd like to make it CGI animated like that Beowulf movie. if you'd like I could PM it to you. I'd post it on the boards but I don't know how much interest it'd get.

okay I'm done rambling lol but that's my answer to your question similar to what it is now or a Beowulf like CGI adaption that is reverent lol

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 2:35am

Post #5 of 37 (422 views)
Shortcut
gdt [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, i would have loved to have seen GDT version, but after seeing some more of his films recently, i think it could have been hit or miss and possibly have even more changes than PJ! we will never know now :(

id like to see GDT make a full on classic fantasy film soon, just so we know how his visual mind could have worked! live action little mermaid? im thinking out loud here lol

edit:just looked him up on imdb, pinocchio in the works!! cool.

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Dec 27 2013, 2:41am)

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 27 2013, 2:46am

Post #6 of 37 (399 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see Del Toro's vision... [In reply to] Can't Post

For sure, but I don't know if I would have liked for that to be the definitive version. I find GDT and his way of filmmaking interesting and he's very talented. But I very much enjoy PJ's vision, and I'm on board with what he's done so far. I may have absolutely loved GDT's version, there's no knowing now. But I am definitely happy with what PJ has given us so far.

"This day we FIGHT!"

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 3:01am

Post #7 of 37 (393 views)
Shortcut
I wish GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish GDT would make Hellboy 3! I loved the first one loved the second one but thought the first one was better until it grew on me. I loved the fair folk in that movie and bethmoora and the elemental. all that celtic stuff!

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 3:04am

Post #8 of 37 (382 views)
Shortcut
He had me sold... [In reply to] Can't Post

...after I saw Pan's Labyrinth. Smile

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 3:12am

Post #9 of 37 (375 views)
Shortcut
I had faith in GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

I had faith in him when he was announced but it kinda got shaken when he showed some things he was gonna do to it

he was going to have a digitally painted sky like a storybook
Thorin's helm would have had big antlers on it he called them thorns cause his name is Thorin
Smaug was supposed to look like a giant battle axe when seen from above

I think there might have been more but that's all I remember all I wanted was a Hobbit movie that looked like Lord Of The Rings lol but I still would like to have seen where he went with it all.

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Dec 27 2013, 3:13am)

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 3:17am

Post #10 of 37 (362 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was excited to see Del Toro's vision at first too, but then after reading some interviews about his vision I started getting worried.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Dec 27 2013, 3:56am

Post #11 of 37 (343 views)
Shortcut
GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ was the right choice for The Hobbit.

GDT was working on At the Mountains of Madness a by H. P. Lovecraft, but a ratings despute with the studio got the project scratched... GDT wanted an R rating and the studio insisted on PG-13 ... would have liked to se that one!!!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 4:02am

Post #12 of 37 (333 views)
Shortcut
I hear ya on that... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think the question was geared more towards 'what if PJ didn't do it and you had the choice..."

I also would've liked to see an Alfonso Cuaron vision.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 4:48am

Post #13 of 37 (304 views)
Shortcut
After [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching DOS I would gladly welcome a GDT version or James camron or Ridley scott. There's no way they could be worse

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 27 2013, 5:25am

Post #14 of 37 (291 views)
Shortcut
My version [In reply to] Can't Post

My version would be similar to the PJ version but a bit lighter in tone and shorter in length. I'd prefer one film but if it didn't all fit, I'd be okay with a two-parter. There would be more of the fairy tale touches of the book -- the Eagles would talk, there would be more songs (the EE pleased me in that regard), the Elves would sing tra-la-la-lally, the Stone-giants would be more humanoid and only glimpsed from a distance, Bilbo would call the Spiders "lazy lob" and "attercop," the vanishing Wood-elf feasts in the forest would be retained, etc.

It would have much fewer invented scenes and sub-plots. Definitely no Azog, no orc chases, no Kili/Tauriel romance, no cat-and-mouse chase with Smaug. I'd include a few White Council scenes to explain Gandalf's disappearance but would keep this to a minimum so as not to distract from Bilbo's story. Legolas would appear in Mirkwood but it would only be a brief cameo.

Overall, still in the basic style of PJ's Middle-earth but much closer to the book and not so bloated with filler.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on Dec 27 2013, 5:31am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 5:44am

Post #15 of 37 (288 views)
Shortcut
There will never be a remake of TH [In reply to] Can't Post

mark my words, no director will want to touch such a project. PJ didn't want to direct TH after LOTR's and that was a smash hit because there is so much that goes with a project like this...special effects, actors, locations ect...I think we are getting the best possible film adaptation, i mean three films dedicated to one book? That being said, i would have done the goblin tunnels not the goblin underground city. Gandalf raining down sparks out of the darkness onto the goblins and chopping the goblin king's head off. Glowing Glamdring and Orcist.

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 5:56am

Post #16 of 37 (277 views)
Shortcut
This is not the first adaptation of TH however... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it may not be the last IMO. There may not be a movie version for quite a while (or ever), but in 2-3 decades time I could imagine someone doing a TV min-series version of TH and/or LotR that would be more faithful to the source material (and the small screen effects are going, they might be able to get away with it on a television budget). That seems more likely than a Sil or CoH movies, at any rate.

"Not tall, but broad and grim...wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 27 2013, 6:05am

Post #17 of 37 (273 views)
Shortcut
In fact, Jackson's is at least the fourth film adaptation. // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 6:11am

Post #18 of 37 (265 views)
Shortcut
disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

i think due to the decisions pj made in adapting this film (visual style,tone,epicness,prequel) it has almost paved the way for a more faithfull adaptation to be made sooner rather than later than if he himself had gone in that direction and done a more definitive version.

lotr rings is going to be efinitive for much longer, but i think the hobbit could almost be made new in some form much sooner

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 7:55am

Post #19 of 37 (251 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones style [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have wanted both the LOTR and Hobbit-movies to be more like Game of Thrones, that is: a story for adults where people dont seem to reproduce asexually, where a hit by a sword actually make you bleed and where characters are morally ambiguous and even orchs and Sauron are not fairytale "evil" but characters with shades of grey.

Macfeast
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 8:04am

Post #20 of 37 (241 views)
Shortcut
A giant battle axe... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is kind of what I'd expect a dragon to look like from above, or below. Maybe not a perfect match, but not so dramatically different that I'd consider it strange to compare the two. I would actually be surprised if PJ's Smaug, from the right angle, didn't bear at least a passing resemblance to a battle axe.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Dec 27 2013, 8:12am)

Ffnir
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 8:40am

Post #21 of 37 (222 views)
Shortcut
I fear their will be some bad remakes in the future [In reply to] Can't Post

as soon as the rights will be for sale, from people whose primary intention will be to make money out of it. It'll take some years to have a good original new middle earth movie !

moreorless
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 10:45am

Post #22 of 37 (203 views)
Shortcut
The two Del Toro's [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think PJ was the right choice for The Hobbit.

GDT was working on At the Mountains of Madness a by H. P. Lovecraft, but a ratings despute with the studio got the project scratched... GDT wanted an R rating and the studio insisted on PG-13 ... would have liked to se that one!!!

The issue for me was always which Del Toro we were going to get. The "Hollywood" version is still a good blockbuster director but not IMHO on the level of Jackson with LOTR and Kong, lacking in the same level of drama and awe.

A mix of that version and the "spanish" Del Toro was I'd guess what people were hoping for, a blockbuster with the depth and beauty of something like Pan's but aimed more at a family audience.

Noria
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 2:36pm

Post #23 of 37 (165 views)
Shortcut
Danielos, for better and for worse that would not be Tolkien, IMO, [In reply to] Can't Post

and would be even farther from the spirit of the books than PJ' s movies. One of the charms of Tolkien's works is how different they are from almost anything else produced in the twentieth century.

Sex seems to be unimportant in Tolkien's ME - can you imagine camp followers with any of the armies depicted?

Boromir, Denethor, Thranduil and Thorin are as close to we get to morally grey, unless we're talking about The Silmarillion. Sentient (and sometimes unsentient) beings are basically good or evil. What's a film maker to do?

I think that the PG rating of the movies, so important to their overwhelming success, was the reason for the lack of blood. A cable television series is a different thing altogether.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 3:13pm

Post #24 of 37 (151 views)
Shortcut
While I would love if both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings got tv miniseries treatment... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I wouldn't want to to become sexualized or too focused on violence. I believe the producers of Game of Thrones are doing THAT story justice, because that's the way that story is written. But neither The Hobbit nor Lord of the Rings have gratuitous sex in them, and I see no reason to add it in just for the sake of it. As for violence, I think PJ's done a decent job with not going too far over the line in that respect, although there are a few too many beheadings in DoS.

Anyway, back to the tv series topic. I would love it if HBO, BBC, or some other cable channel was able to do the books as separate seasons, like The Hobbit for season 1 (and maybe some supplemental background material like Dwarvish history, Gandalf in Dol Guldur, and the subsequent hunt for Gollum), Fellowship of the Ring for season 2, and so on. Say you have 10-12 hour-long episodes per season, I think that'd be more than enough space to include everything from the books.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 4:08pm

Post #25 of 37 (140 views)
Shortcut
I think mine would be similar in some regards... [In reply to] Can't Post

...although I would omit the "tra-la-lally" and "attercop, tomnoddy" stuff. And yes, I'd also omit the talking purse (sorry, TP aficionados).

All of Jackson's invented threads would be gone. No Orc pursuit, no Dwarves/Smaug confrontation inside Erebor, Sauron would not be behind the Battle of Five Armies, and no Elf/Dwarf love triangle. If someone would have told me two years ago that these films would feature Kili the Dwarf falling for an invented female Elf character, I'd have told them to get a life and stop drumming up crazy theories. Sigh...

I agree about the stone giants, that scene started off alright (although the things were just too damn large) but quickly became ridiculous once we realized our company were actually standing on one of the creatures. OTT Jackson at its worst. I wouldn't have minded the Eagles talking to Gandalf, although I don't think I'd have had them speaking English. Would have been an awkward thing to see IMO.

I would have included a quick flashback to Thror going mad and entering Moria alone, followed by a quick flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar, where we would see Azog decapitated by Dain, and Thrain attempting to enter Moria followed by Dain's warning. I also would have included the White Council sub-plot, although I wouldn't have portrayed everything as being a recent development. Some dialogue explaining the decay of Greenwood over the years, and Gandalf's earlier trips to Dol Guldur. No Nazgul tombs. Gandalf finds Thrain in the dungeons of the Necromancer PRIOR to the story. I'm a sucker for the back lore stuff, so as much as many folks would find some of it boring and unnecessary, I don't think I could resist. I'm more interested in "The Quest of Erebor" and all its related history, than I am in a literal adaptation of Tolkien's children's book.

I also probably would have included Radagast (sans bird-dung and stick insect idiocy) and Legolas, although their roles would both be reduced considerably. Radagast would feature in the White Council sub-plot, and we'd meet Legolas during both the Dwarves imprisonment in Thranduil's halls and at the Bo5A. Don't have an issue with the Captain of the Guard being turned into a female, and I think Tauriel was a likable character, but don't like the fact that she and Legolas got more screen time than Beorn. No excuse for that IMO. So Tauriel can stay, but her part is significantly reduced, and she stays in Mirkwood, along with Legolas. Oh, and it is she who would have passed out drunk, allowing Bilbo to get the keys. She is the Captain of the Guard, and just about the only notable thing that character does in the book is pass out drunk.

All of the Dwarves would have proper long beards, and none of them would be given GQ "sexy" treatment. Thorin would be the oldest in the company. Bifur would not have an axe stuck in his head. I think I'd stick with normal hair colors though, and not the multi-colored beards from the book. Their accents would match more closely.

I think I would have kept in the expansion of Bard's character. To me, that was a smart move on Jackson's part. Bard shows up almost out of nowhere in the book, so IMO he needed to be fleshed out for the movie. And including a young Bain was also a cool little tidbit for us lore fans.

Beorn would be given more than 5 minutes screen time. Mirkwood would more closely follow the book (Bombur and the enchanted river, the white deer, the disappearing Elven fires), and the Dwarves would not be split up after Lake-town. The Arkenstone wouldn't be treated as some divine right to rule, but just a really pretty gem.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.