Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Layout of the Film (Prediction) OBVIOUS SPOILERS

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 11:05pm

Post #1 of 13 (605 views)
Shortcut
The Layout of the Film (Prediction) OBVIOUS SPOILERS Can't Post

Just my thought on how the film will go, and the changes PJ will undoubtedly make.

1. Prologue with Bard as a child with his father (Thrush, Prophecy, Black Arrow).
2. Smaug attacks Laketown. Bain frees his dad, Bard tries to use the Wind-lance and fails. Tauriel protects the Dwarves and Bard's daughters during the rampage. Bard finally uses his regular bow, and part of the shattered Black Arrow to kill Smaug. The Master is also killed.
3. Thorin deals with the aftermath of Smaug's death, sending one of the Dwarves to find Kili and Fili.
4. Beorn arrives as a prisoner in Dol Guldur.
5. Legolas chases Bolg and sees the army marching towards Erebor.
6. Dwarves are all reunited in Erebor. Thorin sends word to Dain and others of their victory. He, along with Balin, give Bilbo the Mithril Vest as a payment for his help. Touching moment, and partial apology, between Thorin and Bilbo.
7. Tauriel goes to Thranduil and argues for intervention after Legolas tells her of the army. He is finally convinced when Legolas takes Tauriel's side.
8. Beorn helps Gandalf escape, but they are blocked en route to exit. Suddenly Radagast and Saruman show up and do some crazy magic. Then Elrond reveals his presence with an army from Rivendell raining down arrows.
9. Bard demands payment from Thorin for the damage in Laketown. His stubborn refusal puts him at odds with Bilbo and Balin.
10. The White Council battles at Dol Guldur. Radagast is struck with a Morgul blade and dies, Gandalf takes up his staff and enacts revenge. Sauron shows up and the Council begins to lose ground. Finally Galadriel arrives and lays down the law. Sauron is driven out.
11. Thranduil's army amasses outside of Erebor, he wants to make a treaty with Thorin (Legolas gives back Orcrist). Dain also arrives with the Dwarves of the Iron Hills, tensions rise. Thorin stubbornly refuses again, despite the Orcs getting closer. Legolas and Bard converse, while Tauriel and Kili continue their romance.
12. The White Council is victorious, remaining orcs flee. Galadriel comforts Gandalf after Radagast's death. She tells Gandalf that the Nazgul are leading a second army from Mount Gundabad (fifth army, in the grand scheme of things). Saruman finds a Palantir, but hides it from the others. Gandalf leaves on one of Elrond's horses when Beorn receives word (from animals) of Smaug's demise and the armies in Erebor.
13. Bilbo meets secretly with Bard, Thranduil, and Legolas, who convince him to give up the Arkenstone to force Thorin's hand in making a treaty. He reluctantly agrees.
14. Alfrid (who had survived Smaug's attack, and was cast out following Bard's victory and the Master's death) sneaks to tell Thorin of Bilbo's betrayal.
15. Thorin confronts Bilbo and becomes uncontrollably angry. He stabs Bilbo with Orcrist, but the Mithril stops it. Bilbo runs away and reveals what happened to Balin and the other Dwarves. Balin confronts Thorin, who is unapologetic. He and the other Dwarves leave, Balin is disappointed and crushed.
16. After some build up the Battle of Five Armies begins. Thranduil shows off his badass battle skills, but Dain ends up saving his life. Legolas and Bard face off against the Witch-King's army and win... Bard aims to shoot a fleeing Witch-King with his arrow, but Legolas stops him: "It is not by the hand of Man that he shall fall."
17. Tauriel gets in trouble, and Kili rushes to her aid. They both die, as does Fili who rushes to save his brother. Legolas shows up too late to save Tauriel.
18. Bilbo gets captured by Azog and his forces. Balin runs to Thorin and tells him, so Thorin comes to rescue Bilbo, killing Azog. Bilbo gets knocked out, and Thorin is mortally wounded by Bolg.
19. Gandalf finally arrives with the Eagles, and Beorn shows up to kill Bolg. The battle is won.
20. Thorin dies after reconciling with Bilbo. All pay homage to Thorin at his wake (including Thranduil, Legolas, Bard, Balin, and the other Dwarves).
21. Dain is made King Under the Mountain. Bard is now Lord in Dale, which is rebuilt. Thranduil and Legolas return to the Woodland Realm.
22. Balin says goodbye to Bilbo, leaving with some of the other Dwarves to retake Moria.
23. Bilbo and Gandalf smoke their pipes on the slopes of Erebor, talking about how far the journey had taken them.
24. Older Bilbo narration returns, telling of the return journey (finding the treasure chest).
25. Auction scene with the Sackville Bagginses.
26. Older Bilbo in Rivendell, we see him finishing his book. He tells one last part of the story.
27. 30 years later, Gandalf visits him in the Shire. There's a knock at his door and he is told that his nephew Frodo has been orphaned. He is reluctant at first, but after Gandalf shares his advice he finally accepts the responsibility of raising Frodo. There's a cute little conversation between young Frodo and Gandalf. Old Bilbo finishes his story.
28. Final scene sees Gandalf leaving Bag End, young Frodo and Bilbo going back inside the Hobbit hole. Gandalf lights his pipe and sings "The road goes ever on." End Credits.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Dec 26 2013, 11:13pm)

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 26 2013, 11:35pm

Post #2 of 13 (293 views)
Shortcut
God I hope this is how it will pan out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.. so Thrain is wrtten out of the movie completely now?? [In reply to] Can't Post

flameofudun
Lorien

Dec 26 2013, 11:36pm

Post #3 of 13 (310 views)
Shortcut
Generally agree but [In reply to] Can't Post

I disagree with the following:

-Alfrid will die, I believe, and the master will live.
Or they will both live to die later as in book canon.

- radaghast won't die, there are facts proving otherwise

- the dwarves will come to the company on their own( minor disagreement)

-doubt the witch king will even be in the BOFA, let alone that reused quote happen.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

(This post was edited by flameofudun on Dec 26 2013, 11:37pm)

flameofudun
Lorien

Dec 26 2013, 11:39pm

Post #4 of 13 (333 views)
Shortcut
No. Phillips Boyens has indeed confirmed that [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrain giving Gandalf the map and key in dol guldur via flashback will indeed be in the DOS EE. So no worries.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2013, 11:47pm

Post #5 of 13 (291 views)
Shortcut
prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

i think a dwarf prologue would be better since TABA is all about Erebor, Dain, Iron Hills ect...

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2013, 11:49pm

Post #6 of 13 (284 views)
Shortcut
this is confirmed correct? [In reply to] Can't Post

because the interview with Boyens, she said it "might" be included in the EE, unless of course this is another interview which i am hoping it is Smile

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 12:02am

Post #7 of 13 (262 views)
Shortcut
So.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Galadriel like Luke Skywalker, Beorn like Chewbacca/C3PO, and Gandalf like Han Solo?

Sauron is Jabba the Hutt of course ;)

Just kidding, though your idea somewhat parallels the opening act of ROTJ

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 12:03am

Post #8 of 13 (258 views)
Shortcut
You might be right about the first three.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... But I really, really hope the fourth one happens.

It would be a geek-out moment for me.

And they HAVE to involve the Witch-King somehow, seeing as they foreshadowed it in AUJ.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 1:54am

Post #9 of 13 (213 views)
Shortcut
A lot of this seems likely... [In reply to] Can't Post

The last scene(s) in particular seem like the ideal way to end the third film IMO (was hoping for something like this for a while).

A few notes:

- We've glimpsed Gandy riding around in the rabbit-sled in Dol Guldur with Raddy at the reigns - not sure if this is unused Film 2 material or part of the rescue from Film 3; additionally, Cate Blanchett seems to have shot a scene where she carried around a Gandalf stunt "doll"

- Alfred is shown amongst the fleeing Lakemen in one of the recent production blogs, so he seems to survive the destruction of Esgaroth, not sure about the Master

- IMO the Witch-King/Nazgul may play into Dol Guldur but not BoFA

- John Callen mentions their shooting Thorin taking "his last swipe" at Azog, around the time PJ posted a pic of wounded Thorin, so IMO Thorin's climactic confrontation/demise will be Azog-related (PJ's likely to give Legolas and Bolg a rematch in BoFA...or Bolg VS Kili and Legolas together? Yech.)

Anywho, good summary based on what we know thus far. Smile

"Not tall, but broad and grim...wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 27 2013, 1:59am)

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 2:27am

Post #10 of 13 (183 views)
Shortcut
Thats exactly what I'm basing it off of. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea of there being parallels. Wink

vexx801
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 3:23am

Post #11 of 13 (181 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to see the film play out as such, with perhaps another Sauron addition and possibly Gollum leaving the mountains at the end. But honestly, if this was a legitimate plot thing derived from a pre-screening of the film, I would be okay with it. And I'd love it.

I do really hope a lot of this movie will play out as you've described, and indeed, based on various spoilers I'd say you're very close.

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 27 2013, 8:40am

Post #12 of 13 (113 views)
Shortcut
When you say [In reply to] Can't Post

There are facts proving Radagast won't die, what are you referring to?

Also whilst Boyens describes a scene of Thrain giving Gandalf the key and map, she doesn't say it is at Dol Guldur.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 11:06pm

Post #13 of 13 (77 views)
Shortcut
Too much conjecture [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just my thought on how the film will go, and the changes PJ will undoubtedly make.

1. Prologue with Bard as a child with his father (Thrush, Prophecy, Black Arrow).
2. Smaug attacks Laketown. Bain frees his dad, Bard tries to use the Wind-lance and fails. Tauriel protects the Dwarves and Bard's daughters during the rampage. Bard finally uses his regular bow, and part of the shattered Black Arrow to kill Smaug. The Master is also killed.
3. Thorin deals with the aftermath of Smaug's death, sending one of the Dwarves to find Kili and Fili.
4. Beorn arrives as a prisoner in Dol Guldur.
5. Legolas chases Bolg and sees the army marching towards Erebor.
6. Dwarves are all reunited in Erebor. Thorin sends word to Dain and others of their victory. He, along with Balin, give Bilbo the Mithril Vest as a payment for his help. Touching moment, and partial apology, between Thorin and Bilbo.
7. Tauriel goes to Thranduil and argues for intervention after Legolas tells her of the army. He is finally convinced when Legolas takes Tauriel's side.
8. Beorn helps Gandalf escape, but they are blocked en route to exit. Suddenly Radagast and Saruman show up and do some crazy magic. Then Elrond reveals his presence with an army from Rivendell raining down arrows.
9. Bard demands payment from Thorin for the damage in Laketown. His stubborn refusal puts him at odds with Bilbo and Balin.
10. The White Council battles at Dol Guldur. Radagast is struck with a Morgul blade and dies, Gandalf takes up his staff and enacts revenge. Sauron shows up and the Council begins to lose ground. Finally Galadriel arrives and lays down the law. Sauron is driven out.
11. Thranduil's army amasses outside of Erebor, he wants to make a treaty with Thorin (Legolas gives back Orcrist). Dain also arrives with the Dwarves of the Iron Hills, tensions rise. Thorin stubbornly refuses again, despite the Orcs getting closer. Legolas and Bard converse, while Tauriel and Kili continue their romance.
12. The White Council is victorious, remaining orcs flee. Galadriel comforts Gandalf after Radagast's death. She tells Gandalf that the Nazgul are leading a second army from Mount Gundabad (fifth army, in the grand scheme of things). Saruman finds a Palantir, but hides it from the others. Gandalf leaves on one of Elrond's horses when Beorn receives word (from animals) of Smaug's demise and the armies in Erebor.
13. Bilbo meets secretly with Bard, Thranduil, and Legolas, who convince him to give up the Arkenstone to force Thorin's hand in making a treaty. He reluctantly agrees.
14. Alfrid (who had survived Smaug's attack, and was cast out following Bard's victory and the Master's death) sneaks to tell Thorin of Bilbo's betrayal.
15. Thorin confronts Bilbo and becomes uncontrollably angry. He stabs Bilbo with Orcrist, but the Mithril stops it. Bilbo runs away and reveals what happened to Balin and the other Dwarves. Balin confronts Thorin, who is unapologetic. He and the other Dwarves leave, Balin is disappointed and crushed.
16. After some build up the Battle of Five Armies begins. Thranduil shows off his badass battle skills, but Dain ends up saving his life. Legolas and Bard face off against the Witch-King's army and win... Bard aims to shoot a fleeing Witch-King with his arrow, but Legolas stops him: "It is not by the hand of Man that he shall fall."
17. Tauriel gets in trouble, and Kili rushes to her aid. They both die, as does Fili who rushes to save his brother. Legolas shows up too late to save Tauriel.
18. Bilbo gets captured by Azog and his forces. Balin runs to Thorin and tells him, so Thorin comes to rescue Bilbo, killing Azog. Bilbo gets knocked out, and Thorin is mortally wounded by Bolg.
19. Gandalf finally arrives with the Eagles, and Beorn shows up to kill Bolg. The battle is won.
20. Thorin dies after reconciling with Bilbo. All pay homage to Thorin at his wake (including Thranduil, Legolas, Bard, Balin, and the other Dwarves).
21. Dain is made King Under the Mountain. Bard is now Lord in Dale, which is rebuilt. Thranduil and Legolas return to the Woodland Realm.
22. Balin says goodbye to Bilbo, leaving with some of the other Dwarves to retake Moria.
23. Bilbo and Gandalf smoke their pipes on the slopes of Erebor, talking about how far the journey had taken them.
24. Older Bilbo narration returns, telling of the return journey (finding the treasure chest).
25. Auction scene with the Sackville Bagginses.
26. Older Bilbo in Rivendell, we see him finishing his book. He tells one last part of the story.
27. 30 years later, Gandalf visits him in the Shire. There's a knock at his door and he is told that his nephew Frodo has been orphaned. He is reluctant at first, but after Gandalf shares his advice he finally accepts the responsibility of raising Frodo. There's a cute little conversation between young Frodo and Gandalf. Old Bilbo finishes his story.
28. Final scene sees Gandalf leaving Bag End, young Frodo and Bilbo going back inside the Hobbit hole. Gandalf lights his pipe and sings "The road goes ever on." End Credits.

There's too much conjecture for me here. What I mean by that is too much stuff that seems very unlikely to happen, and that sort of leads me to ignore most of the proceedings as given here in bullet points.
It's a good try, but I think we will really have to wait until November or so before we get a good grip on what the storyline will look like. Because we know so little right now.
One final thing. I hope they make something out of the return journey. Go back to Beorn perhaps. If they don't do that, at least go back to Hobbiton and have Gandalf and Balin come by, and end on that note.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.