Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Evaluation of DOS HFR 3d.

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 26 2013, 10:57pm

Post #1 of 8 (355 views)
Shortcut
Evaluation of DOS HFR 3d. Can't Post

I have seen the film twice in 2D 24ps, and never bothered with AUJ HFR. Does the HFR improve any parts of the film and, as a general, is it worth it?

Here can everyone evaluate their positive and/or negative thoughts about the HFR in DOS and if it is worth watching.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 11:04pm

Post #2 of 8 (241 views)
Shortcut
The main motivation should be... [In reply to] Can't Post

That HFR is the way that the film is intended, by its creators, to be seen.

Watching The Hobbit in 2D is like looking at a photograph of an art piece, you get the general idea, but you don't have the atmosphere that the artist intends by seeing the piece in person.

Peter Jackson wants this film to be displayed in HFR and that is how it should be viewed.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 12:49am

Post #3 of 8 (193 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

well hfr in the most simplest terms gives you twice as many picture frames as the non hfr version (48/24)

that means you are missing out on all those inbetween frames when you watch it at 24 fps. these may seem indiscernible but those are all frames you wont ever see again untill technoogy allows us to watch it at home!

would you prefer 24 frames to 12 frames per second?

those extra frames help to make scenes that are fast and have more motion clearer to see! but they also make slower scenes seem more real, more like your there with them , or like your watching a play.i have a bit of an issue with that look, but its so much better for discerning movement clearer.

overall for me id rather see it 48 hfr because you might not be able to see them again in this way, and thats a whole lot of middle earth your missing out on!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

tiamy
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 1:09am

Post #4 of 8 (182 views)
Shortcut
My only complaint about HFR 3D... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is how Peter Jackson moves the camera a lot. Most of the shots of Dol Guldur are like this. The camera swoops in and out of the fortress...and because everything is so clear, you want to absorb every little details in the background and you tend to focus on that as the camera moves and it will make you feel a bit dizzy.

Other than that, I love everything about HFR 3D. I didn't notice that 'soap opera' quality that others are saying. I guess if you have a HDTV with True Motion, your eyes are kinda adjusted for HFR...Smile

Taladamir
The Shire

Dec 27 2013, 3:52am

Post #5 of 8 (141 views)
Shortcut
saw DOS in HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I was totally blown away by the incredible viewing experience(RealD HFR + Dolby Atmos) I could barely process it afterwardSmile didn't see AUJ in HFR, only one viewing of DOS(really wish there was a theater like the one I saw DOS in nearbyFrown). The general consensus does seem to be that it is the best way to view the films. I haven't even seen DOS a second time 'cause I'm sorta wondering if it would be a let down after seeing it in such an incredibly life-like format. Frown The action is so smooth! Scenes and stunts I might object to in 2D or 24fps3D didn't phase me a bit, simply because it was real. Bombur in a barrel was one bit I was expecting to dislike after the speculation here, but it looked great, I was laughing so hard I couldn't focus on the scene properlyCool(...the pirouette though...Crazy) I definitely want the same viewing experience the first time I see TABA. I even got my parents to come, neither of them had seen any 3D before, we were all pretty thrilled. my mother actually was not impressed with the movie(but loved watching it, tells everyone how amazing HFR is!), not enough depth?, but I'm hoping the EE will solve that, fingers crossed PJ will come through with more character moments. Back on topic... Go see The Hobbit in HFR3D!!Angelic

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 27 2013, 7:34am

Post #6 of 8 (113 views)
Shortcut
I love the HFR. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the clarity and detail that it gives, and I find it totally immersive. But if I had to name one reason to see it this way: it makes the action sequences and quick swooping shots so much more watchable and easy on the eyes. I tend to get eyestrain and motion sickness from movies with a lot of quick action cuts, but not in HFR. I really love not having the motion blur to contend with. It seems very natural and easy on the eyes to me, and I enjoy the feeling of being right there in the world.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 27 2013, 8:16am

Post #7 of 8 (108 views)
Shortcut
This year i loved HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I was totally blown away seeing DOS in HFR and so were my friends and family(first time they watched that format in a movie)The depth,the clarity,the vividness,the sense that you take part in the movie,the smoothness in action sequences.All these elements were so great in that movie.Today,will be my second viewing of DOS in HFR.Smile

mefansmum
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 1:02pm

Post #8 of 8 (95 views)
Shortcut
I have seen it twice in 3D HFR - supposedly. [In reply to] Can't Post

However - one was jerky and did not look quite right, with a sound track I hardly noticed and one was clearer, smoother and looked really great with a sound track that sounded great.

I have seen AUJ in all versions more than once and DOS twice in 3D HFR. I personally think the quality of the cinema plays a big part in how it looks. 3D HFR in a good cinema was by far the best and the sound difference was equally as dramatic.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.