Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
The Hobbit DOS Chronicles book

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 18 2013, 12:44am

Post #1 of 8 (499 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit DOS Chronicles book Can't Post

I got mine in the mail today. I know there was already a thread like this but it's in the archives. Anyway, it's a beautiful book and there is even some concept art for stuff that isn't in the movie (Thrain, close ups of the ruins of Dale). I'm very happy with it and will now be ordering the one for AUJ since I don't have it yet.

Defiant
Bree

Dec 18 2013, 1:59am

Post #2 of 8 (240 views)
Shortcut
Great! Can you describe the contents for us please? [In reply to] Can't Post

Any favourite pages or subjects you could share your impressions of, or any cool stories/insights you have read so far? Thank you.

Defiant
Bree

Dec 18 2013, 4:13am

Post #3 of 8 (210 views)
Shortcut
Oh yay ... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. this discussion has been moved to the Gaming & Collecting section where no one will look at it, the place where non-gaming threads go to die. Wink

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 18 2013, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 8 (164 views)
Shortcut
impressions [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't had time to read it yet except for skimming over a few passages. The book is pretty big and is very nice quality. The pages are glossy which also looks and feels nice. Each page is packed with artwork, even the inside front and back covers which have nice drawings of landscapes (Dale on the front and Dol Guldur on the back). It says there are more than 1,000 drawings and paintings. On the inside back cover there's a fold-out replica of the portrait of The Master.

It basically goes through all the locations as they appear in the film and gives several pages of concept art for the environments, characters, creatures, props, etc. It's basically what was on the special features for the LOTR EE dvds (but they didn't include on the Hobbit EE), and in book form. Years ago a friend gave me the book The Art of Return of the King as a gift and I think this is much better quality. All the full-size paintings are a highlight. I especially like Mirkwood and Dol Guldur. There some nice paintings for both.

I like seeing the unused designs for the Lonely Mountain, Thranduil, and Beorn. Unfortunately there's nothing on the Necromancer, but there's a good section on Dol Guldur. The section on Smaug is disappointingly short (someone in the other thread said there's going to be a whole book on him coming out in August). But he still gets several pages. Most of it is concept art for his lair and some nice paintings of his attack on Dale. There's also two pages with concept art for his eye, two pages for his head, and two pages his wings, claws, etc. Still, I would have liked to see more, like Guillermo Del Toro's designs that I read about long ago.

Defiant
Bree

Dec 18 2013, 7:12pm

Post #5 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

The section on Smaug is disappointingly short (someone in the other thread said there's going to be a whole book on him coming out in August). But he still gets several pages.
April, I think I read, so not very long to wait. There's already an Amazon page for it.

Unfortunately there's nothing on the Necromancer, but there's a good section on Dol Guldur.

Yeah, I read somewhere that the Necromancer wasn't designed when they went to print, so I expect he'l be in a future book as well.

Thanks very much for posting your impressions. :)

(This post was edited by Defiant on Dec 18 2013, 7:13pm)

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 19 2013, 7:27pm

Post #6 of 8 (122 views)
Shortcut
the AuJ one is very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted more character designs here, but the glimpses at Smaug, Dale and Beorn & his home were standouts for me. I am bit surprised the original make ups for Azog (Bolg) were not included here - perhaps they will wind up in the Cloaks and Daggers volume ?

Smaug was really cool. It was not enough, but I liked seeing the designs they had. He does merit an entire volume, I think.

Oh the Hobbit AuJ Art & Design is very thorough regarding character and set design. It's a wonderful companion. I really like this series of books.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 19 2013, 10:10pm

Post #7 of 8 (143 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to order that one tonight :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife just got Amazon Prime, so as soon as she gets home from work I'm going to transfer her money to order it for me. I've actually been looking at videos and reviews for it the last day or two. I wanted to buy it last year when it came out, but I figured all this stuff would be on the EE special features anyway like they were for LOTR. Well, they weren't. So now I'm going to catch up. :)

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 26 2013, 9:11pm

Post #8 of 8 (137 views)
Shortcut
No Smaug or Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug and Necromancer are absent for the same reason, namely that they had not been fully designed yet and the filmmakers were also very afraid of spoilers leaking out, according to the book's editor, Daniel Falconer.

So now there is a special 96 page book coming on Smaug on April 1st. Followed the The Cloak and Daggers art book in July.

I expect we will see more on Sauron in the Chronicles: There and Back Again book in December. Just like the DoS Chronicles book only now got around to Azog.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.