Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Some More thoughts on TABA

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 8:59pm

Post #1 of 9 (583 views)
Shortcut
Some More thoughts on TABA Can't Post

Some thoughts on TABA.
i) I think we will have the prologue being about Thrain as it is consistent with the other two prologues being about explaining the quest for Erebor.
ii) Legolas will follow Bolg and see the Orc legions on the move and so will tell Thranduil and they will have big argument about isolationism versus alliances.
iii) Raddy will reach White Council and tell them to get going;
iv) Thorin will go more mad about Kili and Fili being about to be baked and argue with Bilbo and Balin. Bilbo heads off with Arkenstone (flashback showing him pick it up).
v) Thorin sends message to Dain and an over the top Billie Connelly introduced
vi) Then we will have Smaug hits Laketown after PJ teasing the audience for an hour or so.
vii) Taurial and the dwarves will break Bard out, his son will give him the black arrow and Tauriel and the dwarves will fight to reach the top of the tower (without too much killing) while Smaug wreaks destruction.
viii) Smaug down, Biblo reaches Bard and give him Arkenstone and Bard head to the mountain with his ‘army’;
ix) White Council drive Sauron out of DolGoldur;
x) Gandalf heads to Erebor
xi) Dain and Thranduil arrive at Erebor (with force) and a huge stand off with Thorin hold up. Balin tries to negotiate with Thorin
xii) A big fight about to start and orcs arrive
xiii) Battle of five armies and Gandalf arrives on an eagle. Done as lots of little battles and very personal. Key players (Kili, Fili, Thorin, Taurial, Bolg, Azog) die and reconciliation with Bilbo. Tauriel reconciled with Legolas and Thranduil. Dain made King.
xiv) Thranduil and Legolas less isolationist and racist respectively .
xv) A slow sad journey home for Bilbo recovers his chest form Trollshaws, has to deal with the Sackville Baggins;
xvi) Gandalf, Balin and the scribe dwarf arrive and talk about going to Moria. There will be another Gimli reference there somewhere and maybe a reference to rangers from the North.

ec1988
The Shire

Dec 26 2013, 9:09pm

Post #2 of 9 (338 views)
Shortcut
Here's my take [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually don't know who will save Gandalf, Galadriel or Saruman. I'm rather curious about the fate of Radagast.

In a behind the scenes footage, there's a scene where Tauriel is riding on the back of Legolas's horse, though this may be after Smaug was slain.

As much as I don't like Tauriel and her shoehorned romance with Kili, I don't think she will die in the next movie, unfortunately. Think about it, violent death of a female lead would be too dark for a PG-13 movie.

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 26 2013, 9:10pm

Post #3 of 9 (319 views)
Shortcut
I think that the end is less easy to comment on but [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure about Thrain - he really isn't very central and could easily be skipped (particularly in favour of Dain?)

I suspect that 2 and 7 are on the money.

I wonder whether Radagast will go to the WC and return with them, or return alone or ignore Gandalf's instructions and come back to help him pretty much straight away. Hard to say (though I'm sure in one of the books there is a photo with a caption suggesting Gandalf and Radagast escape from DG alone on the sleigh)

I suspect the tension with Throrin / Kili etc will be the fact that Thorin refuses to leave his gold to go to his nephews (against the wishes of Balin and Bilbo no doubt)

I'm also not quite sure how Dain will get involved but I'm almost drawn to a Dain prologue as a sort of necessary step, rather than introducing him at the moment he is sent for/ contacted/ turns up.

Just my thoughts in return

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 9:18pm

Post #4 of 9 (303 views)
Shortcut
Raddy will go off.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...as the greenie wizard he is and re-build Mirkwood. In the battle of DolGoldur Raddie will give Gandy his staff.

I think the 'romance' is all one way Kili is infatuated and Tauriel is very kind to him and likes him a lot, and heals him, but no more. (Note they cut away from hand holding scene before Tauriel's response was shown)

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 10:48pm

Post #5 of 9 (222 views)
Shortcut
Some good thoughts here... but I don't think the layout will be the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's what I would predict:

1. Prologue with Bard as a child with his father (Thrush, Prophecy, Black Arrow).
2. Smaug attacks Laketown. Bain frees his dad, Bard tries to use the Wind-lance and fails. Tauriel protects the Dwarves and Bard's daughters during the rampage. Bard finally uses his regular bow, and part of the shattered Black Arrow to kill Smaug. The Master is killed.
3. Thorin deals with the aftermath of Smaug's death, sending one of the Dwarves to find Kili and Fili.
4. Beorn arrives as a prisoner in Dol Guldur.
5. Legolas chases Bolg and sees the army marching towards Erebor.
6. Dwarves are all reunited in Erebor. Thorin sends word to Dain and others of their victory. He, along with Balin, give Bilbo the Mithril Vest as a payment for his help. Touching moment, and partial apology, between Thorin and Bilbo.
7. Tauriel goes to Thranduil and argues for intervention after Legolas tells her of the army. He is finally convinced when Legolas takes Tauriel's side.
8. Beorn helps Gandalf escape, but they are blocked en route to exit. Suddenly Radagast and Saruman show up and do some crazy magic. Then Elrond reveals his presence with an army from Rivendell raining down arrows.
9. Bard demands payment from Thorin for the damage in Laketown, his stubborn refusal puts him at odds with Bilbo and Balin.
10. The White Council battles at Dol Guldur. Radagast is struck with a Morgul blade and dies, Gandalf takes up his staff and enacts revenge. Sauron shows up and the Council begins to lose ground. Suddenly Galadriel arrives and lays down the law. Sauron is driven out.
11. Thranduil's army amasses outside of Erebor, he wants to make a treaty with Thorin (Legolas gives back Orcrist). Dain also arrives with the Dwarves of the Iron Hills, tensions rise. Thorin stubbornly refuses again, despite the Orcs getting closer. Legolas and Bard converse, while Tauriel and Kili continue their romance.
12. The White Council is victorious, remaining orcs flee. Galadriel comforts Gandalf after Radagast's death. She tells Gandalf that the Nazgul are leading a second army from Mount Gundabad. Saruman finds a Palantir, but hides it from the others. Gandalf leaves on one of Elrond's horses when Beorn receives word (from animals) of Smaug's demise and the armies in Erebor.
13. Bilbo meets secretly with Bard, Thranduil, and Legolas, who convince him to give up the Arkenstone to force Thorin's hand in making a treaty. He reluctantly agrees.
14. Alfrid (who had survived Smaug's attack, and was cast out following Bard's victory and the Master's death) sneaks to tell Thorin of Bilbo's betrayal.
15. Thorin confronts Bilbo and becomes uncontrollably angry. He stabs Bilbo with Orcrist, but the Mithril stops it. Bilbo runs away and reveals what happened to Balin and the other Dwarves. Balin confronts Thorin, who is unapologetic. He and the other Dwarves leave, Balin is disappointed and crushed.
16. After some build up the Battle of Five Armies begins. Thranduil shows off his badass battle skills, but Dain ends up saving his life. Legolas and Bard face off against the Witch-King's army and win... Bard aims to shoot a fleeing Witch-King with his arrow, but Legolas stops him: "It is not by the hand of Man that he shall fall."
17. Tauriel gets in trouble, and Kili rushes to her aid. They both die, as does Fili who rushes to save his brother. Legolas shows up too late to save Tauriel.
18. Bilbo gets captured by Azog and his forces. Balin runs to Thorin and tells him, so Thorin comes to rescue Bilbo, killing Azog. Bilbo gets knocked out, and Thorin is mortally wounded by Bolg.
19. Gandalf finally arrives with the Eagles, and Beorn shows up to kill Bolg. The battle is won.
20. Thorin dies after reconciling with Bilbo. All pay homage to Thorin at his wake (including Thranduil, Legolas, Bard, Balin, and the other Dwarves).
21. Dain is made King Under the Mountain. Bard is now Lord in Dale, which is rebuilt. Thranduil and Legolas return to the Woodland Realm.
22. Balin says goodbye to Bilbo, leaving with some of the other Dwarves to retake Moria.
23. Bilbo and Gandalf smoke their pipes on the slopes of Erebor, talking about how far the journey had taken them.
24. Older Bilbo narration returns, telling of the return journey (finding the treasure chest).
25. Auction scene with the Sackville Bagginses.
26. Older Bilbo in Rivendell, we see him finishing his book. He tells one last part of the story.
27. 30 years later, Gandalf visits him in the Shire. There's a knock at his door and he is told that his nephew Frodo has been orphaned. He is reluctant at first, but after Gandalf shares his advice he finally accepts the responsibility of raising Frodo. There's a cute little conversation between young Frodo and Gandalf. Old Bilbo finishes his story.
28. Final scene sees Gandalf leaving Bag End, young Frodo and Bilbo going back inside the Hobbit hole. Gandalf lights his pipe and sings "The road goes ever on." End Credits.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Dec 26 2013, 11:01pm)

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 27 2013, 12:36am

Post #6 of 9 (163 views)
Shortcut
My predictions [In reply to] Can't Post

ACT I (30 min)

Prologue.
Gathering of the White Council.
Calm before the storm in Laketown.
First suggestions of Thorin's dragon sickness.
End of Act I: Smaug attacks Laketown.

ACT II (40 min)

Galadriel comes to Gandalf's aid.
Political climate in Laketown.
Tension in Mirkwood. Thranduil decides to intervene.
Tension in Erebor. Business with the Arkenstone.
End of Act II: Final battle between the White Council and the Necromancer.

ACT III (60 min)

Elves, Men and Dwarves come to Erebor. Tension is thick. Bilbo comes to bargain.
Gandalf arrives and warns them of the coming danger.
Orcs' arrival. Battle of Five Armies ensues.
Thorin vs. Azog. Beorn vs. Bolg.
Multiple deaths. Battle is won.
End of Act III: Thorin's redemption.

EPILOGUE (20 min)

Featuring the reclaimed Erebor, Laketown, Thranduil/Legolas/Tauriel, WC and ending with Bilbo back in the Shire.

(This post was edited by HiddenSpring on Dec 27 2013, 12:46am)

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 12:59am

Post #7 of 9 (146 views)
Shortcut
I think it will be closer to [In reply to] Can't Post

...three hours though rather than 2.30; and I think the nine riders need to be forshadowed, but I think a fight between the eagles and them on their winged steeds will be too much forshadowing, but something similar might work.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 27 2013, 1:09am

Post #8 of 9 (131 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't take the credits into account, which would automatically mean 15 more minutes. So, close to AUJ's runtime.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 10:01pm

Post #9 of 9 (71 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel before the rest?? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
ACT I (30 min)

Prologue.
Gathering of the White Council.
Calm before the storm in Laketown.
First suggestions of Thorin's dragon sickness.
End of Act I: Smaug attacks Laketown.

ACT II (40 min)

Galadriel comes to Gandalf's aid.
Political climate in Laketown.
Tension in Mirkwood. Thranduil decides to intervene.
Tension in Erebor. Business with the Arkenstone.
End of Act II: Final battle between the White Council and the Necromancer.

ACT III (60 min)

Elves, Men and Dwarves come to Erebor. Tension is thick. Bilbo comes to bargain.
Gandalf arrives and warns them of the coming danger.
Orcs' arrival. Battle of Five Armies ensues.
Thorin vs. Azog. Beorn vs. Bolg.
Multiple deaths. Battle is won.
End of Act III: Thorin's redemption.

EPILOGUE (20 min)

Featuring the reclaimed Erebor, Laketown, Thranduil/Legolas/Tauriel, WC and ending with Bilbo back in the Shire.

What makes you think Galadriel will first come to Gandalf's aid, alone, with a final confrontation between the WC and Sauron to be followed later? I don't think this will happen.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.