Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
HFR fans - what were your favorite HFR moments in DOS?

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 8:27pm

Post #1 of 12 (404 views)
Shortcut
HFR fans - what were your favorite HFR moments in DOS? Can't Post

I loved AUJ in HFR, but no theaters in my area showed DOS in HFR, so I have to imagine it vicariously through you all Sly.

My favorite HFR moment from AUJ was the eagles scene at the end.

What scenes in DOS did you find were really memorable in HFR?

flameofudun
Lorien

Dec 26 2013, 8:29pm

Post #2 of 12 (281 views)
Shortcut
The dol guldur battle [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf vs. The Necromancer AKA Sauron

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 12 (262 views)
Shortcut
Oooh really! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet it was! Was the white light vs dark light very sharp? Or was it the way Sauron looked at the end with the figure inside the orange light?

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 26 2013, 8:39pm

Post #4 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
Many! [In reply to] Can't Post

1)Spiders sequence
2)Gandalf vs Necromancer and everything with Dol Guldur
3)Smaug vs Dwarves(did not enjoy it in 2D so much but i was blown away in HFR)
4)Butterflies sequence
5)Legola's choreography in the Barrel's sequence

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 8:42pm

Post #5 of 12 (239 views)
Shortcut
The butterflies [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a lovely scene in IMAX 3D, but in HFR must have been gorgeous. I think in HFR that fluttery / twinkly aspect as the sunlight fell on them must have been really beautiful. And they probably were much bluer, I'd imagine.

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 26 2013, 9:00pm

Post #6 of 12 (235 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

was my favourite part. I'm not a big fan of HFR, I find it good at times but terrible at others, which is frustrating. But Dol Guldur and Sauron looked amazing!

The ultra crisp, smooth movement just seemed to suit the magic battle (the black smoky Sauron attacking Gandalf's bubble of white light looked incredible). Also, the reveal of Sauron and the eye-within-the-eye looked even more surreal and scary.

Otherwise, I also liked the High Fells in HFR. The spider webs in Mirkwood looked incredibly clear and realistic, and the barrel ride, while a litle disorienting, was pretty cool. And Smaug of course looked great, as did the interior workings of Erebor.

But since then, I've seen it again in 24fps 3D and loved it just as much.

(This post was edited by morgul lord on Dec 26 2013, 9:06pm)

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 26 2013, 9:02pm

Post #7 of 12 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and the snow in Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

just moved so smoothly as it descended, kind of like the butterflies.

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 9:05pm

Post #8 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
The High Fells [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I would have liked to see that in HFR. It looked very good in IMAX 3D but I think the HFR sharpness would have given it more character and detail than just generic dark, interior stonework.

And I can imagine that black curling smoke of Sauron must have had a totally evil twisted beauty about it Cool.

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 9:09pm

Post #9 of 12 (202 views)
Shortcut
The snow was great [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in regular 3D, the snow looked very realistic. It didn't have that 'falling styrofoam bits' look about it that some movie snow does. And it really looked cold!

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Dec 26 2013, 9:20pm)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 10:45pm

Post #10 of 12 (163 views)
Shortcut
What wasn't ? [In reply to] Can't Post

My first viewing was at the BFI I Max at Waterloo in London in 3D 24fps and my second was at the Cinema de Lux in Bristol in 3D HFR 4K. Not only was I familiar with the structure of the movie for my second viewing, I had the benefit of the additional clarity offered by the HFR.

The second film has more atmosphere and is better lit than the first and the action scenes have a greater sense of authenticity than say the chase before Rivendell. For me I enjoyed the HFR even more than the first film and I recall coming out of the movie rarely. One such scene was in the opening minutes of meeting Bard where they seem to be placed in front of the location rather than being immersed in it. I knew this as a pick up scene because it was meant to open the second and final film and the actual shoot was affected by torrential rain on the Pelorus but there were other changed moments where I did not come out of the movie (The non appearance of the Thrain jump down in Dol Gulder).

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Dec 26 2013, 10:47pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2013, 11:54pm

Post #11 of 12 (159 views)
Shortcut
Thorin walking into the Prancing Pony and many others... [In reply to] Can't Post

When the film opened up with Thorin walking down the streets of Bree, I was in awe. I immediately felt like I could have stepped into the screen and walked in with him.

I had the same feeling as the Company was walking through Mirkwood. Also adored when Bard was rowing into Laketown. You had a feel for the expansiveness of the set that just wasn't there in 24 fps 2D. It was like I was moving from deck to deck in the town on my own two feet.

Smaug's reveal was awe-inspiring in HFR. When his head is fully revealed, I got chills down my spine as he seemed to peer out of the screen. Also, the entire Erebor fight was on a whole another level in HFR. The moment that especially sticks out is when Thorin jumps off the platform and catches hold to the chain and then gets chased upward by Smaug. This was one of many moments throughout the film when I could have sworn there was no movie screen. I was simply watching reality unfold in front of me.

There's so much else - but really, I loved it all. My theater has pulled the HFR version, and I can't bring myself to see it in theaters again. I can't imagine watching it in that environment without the reality that 48fps brought to it. Truly one of the most amazing film experiences I've ever witnessed. My family shared this sentiment - they came out of the theater giddy with excitement. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 26 2013, 11:55pm)

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 1:38pm

Post #12 of 12 (106 views)
Shortcut
All of it! [In reply to] Can't Post

HFR was SO great! Thought a couple of times like I was watching the action unfold outside my window. Depth of field was beautiful!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.