Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is there an indication of how much later present day is from the prologue?

Annatar598
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 6:27pm

Post #1 of 9 (486 views)
Shortcut
Is there an indication of how much later present day is from the prologue? Can't Post

I still haven't watched the film yet but already have tickets for Saturday! I really would appreciate it if someone could let me know if there is a "..... months/years later" when the Bree flashback transitions to present (well, not present but past) day?

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 26 2013, 6:32pm

Post #2 of 9 (288 views)
Shortcut
1 Year [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe, it says one year later on the screen

m.summers343
Bree

Dec 26 2013, 6:48pm

Post #3 of 9 (260 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It says 12 months later.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 26 2013, 6:54pm

Post #4 of 9 (249 views)
Shortcut
12 Months [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It says 12 months later.

Which is interesting because Tolkien gave an exact date for the meeting: March 15, 2941 -- a mere 7 or 8 months earlier. I guess that Jackson pushed it back so that he could convene a meeting of the seven Dwarf Houses.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Thranderz
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 7:40pm

Post #5 of 9 (214 views)
Shortcut
That and [In reply to] Can't Post

they are a few months into the quest?

I simply walked into Mordor.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 26 2013, 8:03pm

Post #6 of 9 (194 views)
Shortcut
I think a few weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

...into the quest

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2013, 8:06pm

Post #7 of 9 (196 views)
Shortcut
Less than that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't Bilbo leave Bag End on April 25th or thereabouts? The Tale of Years in Appendix B tells us Bilbo found the One Ring in July of 2941, and they were at Beorn's in high Summer, so they must have entered Mirkwood perhaps late August as Tolkien mentions an "autumn-like mist white upon the ground and the air was chill, but the sun soon rose red in the East and the mists vanished." They reach Laketown around September 22nd (Bilbo's 51st birthday!).
So at the opening of DoS, by the book it should have been sometime in August, therefore only 5 months after the chance meeting in Bree.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 27 2013, 9:49pm

Post #8 of 9 (71 views)
Shortcut
Good points [In reply to] Can't Post

You are, of course, correct. Thank you for the clarifications.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 27 2013, 9:55pm

Post #9 of 9 (69 views)
Shortcut
A very few months [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they are a few months into the quest?

As Eleniel reminded me above, the Company should be only about 3 months into the quest at the opening of The Desolation of Smaug. According to Tolkien, Gandalf's encounter with Thorin in Bree would have been 4 months ago.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.