The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Who knew about the ring?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 25 2013, 7:54pm

Post #1 of 8 (270 views)
Shortcut
Who knew about the ring? Can't Post

When Bilbo had it, how many (at some point) knew about the ring before Gandalf realized it was the one ring 60 years later? Can only think of Gandalf himself, Gollum and everyone in Thorin's company, have I forgotten someone?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 25 2013, 7:55pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2013, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 8 (192 views)
Shortcut
A few more... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elven-King, hence his blessing. 'May your shadow never grow less!!'

If it was in a public ceremony, I can see others knowing.

Pippin, later, if only indirectly.

Frodo. Much later

Cannot think of any more...

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 26 2013, 3:26am

Post #3 of 8 (167 views)
Shortcut
plus Merry [In reply to] Can't Post

He learned about it by seeing Bilbo use it to escape the S-Bs.

It's not clear to me when Pippin, Sam, and Fatty Bolger found about it exactly, but they were in the know.

Maciliel
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 6:42am

Post #4 of 8 (140 views)
Shortcut
perhaps also tom bombadil? [In reply to] Can't Post

i've been listening to "fellowship" via audible and have just passed through the old forest (a few times, as i've rewound). tom speaks of the ring knowingly to frodo and the hobbits, 'tho it's unclear just how precise tom's knowledge is.

(c-g beat me to the punch with merry.)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 6:43am

Post #5 of 8 (156 views)
Shortcut
and when did galadriel find out? [In reply to] Can't Post

she knew when the company arrived at her borders, but i'm thinking she knew earlier.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

sador
Half-elven

Dec 26 2013, 10:20am

Post #6 of 8 (158 views)
Shortcut
"That was no fish!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...one said. "There is a spy about. Hide your lights! They will help him more than us, if it is that queer little creature that is said to be their servant."
"Servant, indeed!" snorted Bilbo; and in the middle of his snort he sneezed loudly, and the elves immediately gathered towards the sound.
Let's have a light!" he said. "I am here, if you want me!" and he slipped off his ring, and popped from behind a rock.

I am not suggesting that the wood-elves knew about the ring, but they clearly knew Bilbo was somehow difficult to see. That should suffice to explain the Elvenking's words.
I would add Dain to the list of those who knew; surely the other dwarves would not withold the information from him.
Pretty likely Elrond knew, too, and perhaps even Beorn - did Bilbo keep the Ring a great secret before returning to the Shire? Well, of course when Tolkien wrote this book it was just a magic ring, not the One Ring; no real need to keep it secret, except for in the Shire, where it could be useful.
Aragorn, too, knew of course about the Ring after Gandalf told him. And Gildor - he told Frodo he does not know why the Enemy was pursuing him, but he did send out the message that Frodo was alone in the Wild bearing a great burden (as Glorfindel reported). How would he know about that?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 26 2013, 11:34am

Post #7 of 8 (151 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron finds out about it from Gollum circa Year 3009 Third Age. So that's a bit before a Gandalf getting Frodo yo put his ring in the fire for the definitive test. But it is after Bilbo's farewell party in 3001, at which point the LOTR appendices note that Gandalf +suspects+ That Bilbo has the One Ring.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2013, 11:35pm

Post #8 of 8 (109 views)
Shortcut
All of the Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

And a few men of Dale that Bombur told when he was drunk at a party! Though fortunately most didn't believe him!Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.