Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Well said...

Mikah
Rivendell

Dec 25 2013, 4:29pm

Views: 161
Shortcut
Well said... [In reply to] Can't Post

What jumps out at me is the sort of symbolism that ought to be a wake up call. Let's say in the real world a country changes its national flag from a dove to a mushroom cloud. Wouldn't there, or shouldn't there, be a chorus of voices raised in outrage that they've chosen not just the wrong symbol, but a catastrophic replacment? Our buddy Maeglin has done just that, elevating industrial creation over an image of a Valinorean Tree, hence the artificial gaining precedence over the divine.

I am going to agree with Brethil here, this is a very well made point. There is something so macabre and sinister about this gate sitting amidst such beauty. I am at a loss to see how a stranger would make it this far through the Gates of Gondolin. Why is this gate necessary? It seems as though it is making a statement and Curious George has put into words the potential meaning of this statement. Is this gate a symbol of Turgon's paranoia after the Battle of Unnumbered Tears or is it a symbol of the influence that Maeglin holds over the King? As CG points out were there voices of protest? I understand that Gondolin was not a democracy and Turgon's word was law, but were there not others who the King trusted for advice? Perhaps Maeglin's grip was firmer on King Turgon than I had previously recognized.

I also wonder if Morgoth's taint over Middle Earth was at work here as well. Perhaps his shadow was cast across Gondolin as it was the rest of Middle Earth. I have always found King Turgon's method of executing prisoner to be most unsettling as well. He has them thrown over a cliff...such a violent death for such a civil people. We know that this was how Eol was put to death and I am assuming others were as well. Voronwe tells Tuor that "in that hope alone I have been willing to guide you, and if it fails then more surely shall we die than by all the perils of wild and winter." This leads me to believe that it was not Eol alone who met such a fate. Clearly Voronwe feared this, as much as the threat as dying in the wilderness.

Is King Turgon becoming more rigid over the years? I have always found the sentence in the Silmarillion regarding Idril's thoughts on Eol's execution fascinating. "But Idril was troubled, and from that day she mistrusted her kinsman." Interesting. It seems as though something disquieting was happening with Turgon and the last thing he needed was the influence of Maeglin.

Subject User Time
Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin, part 4: The Gates of Gondolin: Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 23 2013, 1:27am
    Some answers nandorin elf Send a private message to nandorin elf Dec 23 2013, 7:16pm
        Nice to see you Nadorin Elf! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 23 2013, 11:04pm
        The build-up CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 25 2013, 2:25pm
    My perception of Tolkien imagery... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 24 2013, 4:47am
        Gate thoughts Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 24 2013, 7:10pm
    Through the gates cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Dec 24 2013, 5:37am
        Maeglin's Wall Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 24 2013, 2:41pm
            The Seventh Gate cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Dec 26 2013, 6:20am
                Police State? Hmmmm Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 26 2013, 7:25am
                    Restriction cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Dec 26 2013, 8:08am
                        Isolationism in the Firstborn Kings Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 6:49pm
                    Beware the Dictators!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 3:01am
                        the best form of government Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Dec 27 2013, 4:01am
                            All good reasons it would not work.. Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 4:26am
                                i think it's just in my nature Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Dec 27 2013, 5:35am
                                    I would have been right behind you! Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 27 2013, 5:52am
                                    Thought from a rebel.. Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 4:21pm
                                        Thoughts back Rem, on ethics and evil Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 7:03pm
                                            Evil, nonexistent? Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 7:27pm
                                                More on good and evil and rabble Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 7:48pm
                                                    Absolute Evil Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 8:04pm
                                                        I love this whole post Rem. All of it! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 8:09pm
                                    Fault in the best sense Telpemairo! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 7:15pm
                                Well Rem... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 27 2013, 5:36am
                            The truly best social system... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 5:01am
        Notes on Gates and layers... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 24 2013, 7:19pm
    A few thoughts (more later, after sleep) Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 24 2013, 5:56am
        More thoughts Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 24 2013, 5:14pm
        Hills and steps... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 24 2013, 7:58pm
    Where are the pearly gates? CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 24 2013, 8:07pm
        Discussing Voronwe's home movies... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 25 2013, 4:02am
        Well said... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 25 2013, 4:29pm
            Capital punishment and context CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 25 2013, 7:45pm
                High Elves? nandorin elf Send a private message to nandorin elf Dec 25 2013, 8:33pm
                    Extreme punishment? Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 26 2013, 12:46am
                        Gandalf's quote CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 26 2013, 1:54am
                            Some musings Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 26 2013, 4:42am
                                I do have thoughts on this... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 26 2013, 7:29am
                                Musings on musings... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 27 2013, 5:33am
                                    nice post Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Dec 27 2013, 5:45am
                                        Well, here's my two cents... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 3:24pm
                                            Very good points Rem Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 27 2013, 4:37pm
                                                A sticky subject Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 4:50pm
                                    Musings *back* on musings...musings squared? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 7:30pm
                    Imperfect Elves - great points here, Nandorin Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 8:30pm
    An observation on Ecthelion... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 25 2013, 7:57pm
        I thought about this for a day or two Rem Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 3:14am
            I think there is SOME link Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 27 2013, 3:38am
    I have to hand it to you Brethil... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 27 2013, 5:43am
        Well, you can tip your hat to the Fellowship of the Room here Mikah! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 27 2013, 7:10pm
    Late answers sador Send a private message to sador Jan 1, 4:08pm
        Some quick thoughts back Sador Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jan 1, 7:32pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.