Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Predicting the act structure of TABA

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 24 2013, 5:42pm

Post #1 of 8 (635 views)
Shortcut
Predicting the act structure of TABA Can't Post

How does everyone believe TABA will be structured?
I personally think:

Prologue: Whatever, something good and relevant. Preferably nothing to do with Sauron as IMO that would undermine Smaug destroying Lake-town.

Act 1: Smaug attacks Laketown. A very long sequence of terror. Includes Bard breaking out of prison. The Dwarves and Tauriel surviving and their perspectives. I expect this to be a long sequence.
Gandalf will also be in Dol Goldur, still imprisoned. When Smaug dies, it will cut to the armies marching and the Necromancer's plot.

Act 2: The aftermath of Smaug's death and the prelude to BO5A. All the Arkenstone business, Thorin darkening, gathering of the clouds, Bard coming into his own. I also feel there will be more of Bilbo and the ring here. During all this, the assault on Dol Goldur will happen... freeing Gandalf to return to Erebor.

Act 3: The Battle of Five Armies. Lots of action. Lots of deaths. God knows what PJ will add, but I'm sure it will be a very big and long sequence. I think Thorin will kill Azog, Bolg will mortally wound Thorin and Beorn will kill Bolg. Dain will fit into it somehow too. At the end of this, we will get Thorin's death sequence and redemption. The return journey. Lovely nostalgia scenes. SLIGHT cliffhanger about Sauron. Conclusion to each Dwarf. #Bilbo is back

How would you guys structure each act?

Lord_Lucan
The Shire

Dec 24 2013, 8:34pm

Post #2 of 8 (312 views)
Shortcut
Dain prologue maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like Dain needs to be introduced before the Bo5A. In the book he shows up just then, but as with Bard and Thranduil, I think PJ will build up a backstory for him earlier, to set up their later appearance. Thorin's meeting with the iron Hills dwarves maybe for an opening?

Avnar
Lorien

Dec 24 2013, 9:20pm

Post #3 of 8 (286 views)
Shortcut
I still hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain kills Azog. I also think that will help the audience accept him as the new dwarf king after the others fall.

Not to mention that is what Tolkien wrote.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Dec 25 2013, 2:59am

Post #4 of 8 (193 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain kills Azog, Beorn kills Bolg, and Thorin, Fili, and Kili all die. This is how the major events should play out, IMO.

Not Thorin killing Azog, Legolas killing Bolg, and Fili surviving to become King under the Mountain. Pretty sure Fili will die, but I do think it's entirely possible that Thorin will end up killing Azog Mad, and Legolas will end up killing Bolg MadMad.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Dec 25 2013, 3:03am)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Dec 25 2013, 3:02am

Post #5 of 8 (190 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking this too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe a prologue involving the Batle of Azanulbizar, but from the points of view of Dain and Thrain. Thrain will probably feature in TaBA in some capacity, so he'll have to be introduced to those who don't watch the EEs.

Personally, I am hoping we get an earlier introduction to Dain in the DoS EE, something along the lines of Denethor's scene in Osgiliath in TTT EE.

mythme

Dec 25 2013, 3:42pm

Post #6 of 8 (135 views)
Shortcut
There also has to be [In reply to] Can't Post

some resolution to the Master of Laketown. I can't believe that Jackson will be faithful to the book in this regard; especially since the MoL is portrayed so slimy, corrupt and an obvious nemesis of Bard. So Bard certainly isn't going to simply give him some treasure and leave him in power, even if he ultimately goes mad. I'm sure Bard will somehow cause the Master to get his just desserts. Who takes over Laketown then, I don't know. I suppose they'll just make Laketown a "suburb" of Dale and have Bard rule it all.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 25 2013, 9:13pm

Post #7 of 8 (113 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dain kills Azog, Beorn kills Bolg, and Thorin, Fili, and Kili all die. This is how the major events should play out, IMO.

Not Thorin killing Azog, Legolas killing Bolg, and Fili surviving to become King under the Mountain. Pretty sure Fili will die, but I do think it's entirely possible that Thorin will end up killing Azog Mad, and Legolas will end up killing Bolg MadMad.

I think it could work if they have a big showdown between Thorin and Azog, and then have Bolg come up from behind Thorin during the middle of the fight and mortally wound Thorin. And then of course, have Dain come in and kill Azog, and Beorn kill Bolg. Hopefully that will happen.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 26 2013, 8:30pm

Post #8 of 8 (48 views)
Shortcut
Two questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Act 1: Smaug attacks Laketown. A very long sequence of terror. Includes Bard breaking out of prison. The Dwarves and Tauriel surviving and their perspectives. I expect this to be a long sequence.
Gandalf will also be in Dol Goldur, still imprisoned. When Smaug dies, it will cut to the armies marching and the Necromancer's plot.

Act 2: The aftermath of Smaug's death and the prelude to BO5A. All the Arkenstone business, Thorin darkening, gathering of the clouds, Bard coming into his own. I also feel there will be more of Bilbo and the ring here. During all this, the assault on Dol Goldur will happen... freeing Gandalf to return to Erebor.

Act 3: The Battle of Five Armies. Lots of action. Lots of deaths. God knows what PJ will add, but I'm sure it will be a very big and long sequence. I think Thorin will kill Azog, Bolg will mortally wound Thorin and Beorn will kill Bolg. Dain will fit into it somehow too. At the end of this, we will get Thorin's death sequence and redemption. The return journey. Lovely nostalgia scenes. SLIGHT cliffhanger about Sauron. Conclusion to each Dwarf. #Bilbo is back

1) Will Smaug die that early in the film or will he be kept to be killed by Bard, but at Five Armies?

2) Will they really have the White Council vanquish Sauron in Act 2, with Sauron's armies being left for the 3rd act? This could all be somewhat anticlimactic couldn't it, now that they made it clear Sauron is the power behind it all. Will they have him beaten by the second act?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.