Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - December 25

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 25 2013, 11:53am

Views: 197
Shortcut
TIME - December 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth... Happy Holidays :)

December 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Company of the Ring leaves Rivendell at dusk.
(from the appendices)
..."...It was a cold grey day near the end of December... ...They were to start at dusk, for Elrond counselled them to journey under the cover of night as often as they could, until they were far from Rivendell.
...'You should fear the many eyes of the servants of Sauron,' he said. 'I do not doubt that news of the discomfiture of the Riders has already reached him, and he will be filled with wrath. Soon now his spies on foot and wing will be abroad... ...Even of the sky above you must beware as you go on your way.'
...The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon, and he went forth clad only in rusty green and brown, as a ranger of the wilderness. Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Andúril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn.
...'Loud and clear it sounds in the valleys of the hills,' he said, 'and then let all the foes of Gondor flee!' Putting it to his lips he blew a blast, and the echoes leapt from rock to rock, and all that heard that voice in Rivendell sprang to their feet.
...'Slow should you be to wind that horn again, Boromir,' said Elrond, 'until you stand once more on the borders of your land, and dire need is on you.'
...'Maybe... ...But always I have let my horn cry at setting forth, and though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night.'
...Gimli the dwarf alone wore openly a short shirt of steel-rings... ...and in his belt was a broad-bladed axe. Legolas had a bow and a quiver, and at his belt a long white knife. The younger hobbits wore the swords that they had taken from the barrow; but Frodo took only Sting; and his mail-coat, as Bilbo wished, remained hidden. Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the Elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain.
...All were well furnished by Elrond with thick warm clothes, and they had jackets and cloaks lined with fur. Spare food and clothes and blankets and other needs were laden on a pony, none other than the poor beast that they had brought from Bree.
...The stay in Rivendell had worked a great wonder... ...on him: he was glossy and seemed to have the vigour of youth. It was Sam who had insisted on choosing him, declaring that Bill (as he called him) would pine, if he did not come.
...'That animal can nearly talk... ...and would talk, if he stayed here much longer. He gave me a look as plain as Mr. Pippin could speak it: "If you don't let me go with you, Sam, I'll follow on my own."' So Bill was going as the beast of burden, yet he was the only member of the Company that did not seem depressed."

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
2nd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - Novembe 28, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
TIME - December 24 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 24 2013, 12:45pm
    The continuation of the Story dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Dec 24 2013, 4:58pm
        Well said! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 25 2013, 12:10am
    TIME - December 25 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 25 2013, 11:53am
        TIME - December 26 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 26 2013, 2:10pm
            TIME - December 27 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 27 2013, 3:51pm
                It's time for some BS! BTFE grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 30 2013, 2:07am
                    It's time for some more BS! BTFE grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 30 2013, 12:09pm
                        It's time for some MORE BS! BTFE grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 31 2013, 12:50pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.