Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thrain is DOS trailer, same shot in film but no Thrain?

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 24 2013, 11:13pm

Post #1 of 8 (827 views)
Shortcut
Thrain is DOS trailer, same shot in film but no Thrain? Can't Post

In the first trailer for AUJ and in some trailers for DOS, there is a shot looking upwards at Gandalf in Dol Guldor, and someone jumps on him from above. Many have speculated this dwarf-looking attacker is in fact Thrain. When watching DOS for a second time, I noticed this shot was in the Sauron reveal scene. The camera lingers at that angle but then cuts to Gandalf walking through DG more.
This has me wondering if in the EE we will see Thrain. The odd thing is is that I cannot see how they could integrate this fluidly into the scene and also let it be full of impact, as it should be. Does anyone know if this scene was cut altogether or will it be in the EE?

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Dec 25 2013, 12:12am

Post #2 of 8 (456 views)
Shortcut
I noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

That as well. It struck me as the same shot setting up his leap down.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2013, 2:03am

Post #3 of 8 (401 views)
Shortcut
PJ probably thought it was a cool angle so he used it... [In reply to] Can't Post

its probably from the Thrain scene, i really hope he includes it in the DOS EE, i mean they have built this scene up so much in the trailers for AUJ and DOS.

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 25 2013, 2:06am)

Remus
Lorien

Dec 25 2013, 10:29am

Post #4 of 8 (277 views)
Shortcut
I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

first PJ wasn't gonna use him and save him for the EE but then that shot came and i thought "HERE HE COMES!".... But no. Nothing happened. That prologue in the beginning also mentioned Thrain how he was spotted around Bree or Weathertorp and Thorin looking for him.

Hmm... He must be in the EE i guess..

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 25 2013, 3:23pm

Post #5 of 8 (217 views)
Shortcut
7 [In reply to] Can't Post

They cut out Thrain but left in 30 minutes of talking between Smaug and Bilbo.

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 25 2013, 8:39pm

Post #6 of 8 (167 views)
Shortcut
The [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie is NOT called The Dwarf: The Desolation of Thrain. ;)

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 26 2013, 7:19am

Post #7 of 8 (126 views)
Shortcut
Interestingly... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is also a shot from above, tracing Gandalf's movements below. Of course, many of us, anticipating Thrain's jump, would assume this to be him peeking over the edge before jumping. But now, to the general audience--who may or may not anticipate this (depending on if they remember the shot of Thrain jumping from the trailer) interpret the shot as a hint of the danger within Dol Guldur--i.e. someone/something is lurking in the shadows.

I hope that made some sense. Also, I do think the EE could very easily reinsert the Thrain portions of the Dol Guldur scenes. The set-up is all there. Truthfully, it was probably more difficult to remove Thrain's footage and fit other parts in (just my guess, of course).

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 29 2013, 2:19pm

Post #8 of 8 (78 views)
Shortcut
Pj has stated [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Thrain bit will be in the EE...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.