Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Orcs in Laketown

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 7:12pm

Post #1 of 11 (950 views)
Shortcut
Orcs in Laketown Can't Post

So I happened to be rewatching the production diaries, specifically production diary 11, and I managed to catch a scene showing orcs running through the streets of Laketown in full view of some civilians, and the orcs actually push one of the poor Laketowners into the water.

Which begs the question: why was this scene cut from the TE? Lots of people had an issue with the orcs seemingly running all over Laketown without seeing as much as a single Laketowner (if you don't count Bard's kids) or guard. This scene would've solved that seemingly glaring plothole if it was included.

Production Diary 11:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJ_YCe4YsM

The scene (which is rather brief) is shown at 1:10 onwards. If you pause it you can clearly see orcs and civilians.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 7:15pm

Post #2 of 11 (441 views)
Shortcut
Not many people out at night i would guess // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 23 2013, 7:21pm

Post #3 of 11 (475 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be surprised if The Master ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or more specifically, Alfrid, had put in effect a curfew. Probably for political, social, and safety reasons.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 7:23pm

Post #4 of 11 (427 views)
Shortcut
I thought that at first, but [In reply to] Can't Post

A few scenes later during Smaug's confrontation with the Dwarves the movie cuts to Laketown where you can see lots of civilians staring worriedly at the glow from the mountain.

MyPrecioussss
Bree

Dec 23 2013, 7:24pm

Post #5 of 11 (426 views)
Shortcut
Curfew [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just about to say the same thing. A curfew would be in keeping with Laketown's police state, and would explain why the streets were practically empty at night. It also would have provided a reason for the guards to arrest Bard, aside from "whatever the Master wants."

In Reply To
Or more specifically, Alfrid, had put in effect a curfew. Probably for political, social, and safety reasons.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 7:27pm

Post #6 of 11 (393 views)
Shortcut
All the hubbub woke them up. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 8:10pm

Post #7 of 11 (402 views)
Shortcut
The episode does same raise some obvious questions - [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we to assume that once Bard is in jail they relax all of their "eye and ears" and the town guard just goes home to bed? No Guard on the causeway? The orcs had to have come across the causeway. If so, did they kill the guard? EE scene? Screaming from Bard's house and commotion did not alarm the neighbors? Feet running across roof tops did not alert anyone? Fighting in the streets, clash of metal etc....nobody noticed? I would have expected at least some town guard to have been involved.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 23 2013, 8:11pm)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2013, 11:32pm

Post #8 of 11 (230 views)
Shortcut
we did see the guard drinking [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its likely that, when the orcs attack, the people barricaded/bolted themselves inside. We know that no one in Laketown has weapons (or legal weapons anyway) so they were likely too afraid to venture outside. I also believe a curfew to be very likely, given the political nature of the town.

As to why they saw the mountain shaking, it's likely at that point that the "earthquakes" resulting from Smaug had awakened people, and when something so unusual happens (especially after most of the townsfolk knew the dwarves headed up to the mountain) they may be willing to break curfew at that point.

Gaubdûkhimâ gagin yâkùlib Mahal

May we meet again with the grace of Mahal

"Mizimel. Her name is Mizimel, because children are and always will be the jewel of all jewels. They are the greatest treasure one could ever have."

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 11:42pm

Post #9 of 11 (221 views)
Shortcut
The town guard has weapons. They just disappeared [In reply to] Can't Post

along with the multiple spies and normal folk out and about. The causeway certainly should have been guarded.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2013, 11:43pm

Post #10 of 11 (212 views)
Shortcut
maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

the master is in league with the orcs?

Or the orcs killed the guards, and it will be shown in the EE?

Or the guards were too busy drinking after Bard got arrested?

Gaubdûkhimâ gagin yâkùlib Mahal

May we meet again with the grace of Mahal

"Mizimel. Her name is Mizimel, because children are and always will be the jewel of all jewels. They are the greatest treasure one could ever have."

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 12:08am

Post #11 of 11 (205 views)
Shortcut
Agree, I hope the EE fleshes out the scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.