Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Are you serious? Tomorrow the last day DOS is playing in 3D?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 3:02pm

Post #1 of 34 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Are you serious? Tomorrow the last day DOS is playing in 3D? Can't Post

I've only seen the movie once so far. My wife wants to see it again too and we've been waiting to have a day off together that's not Christmas Day to go see it again. I just checked the Marcus Theatre website and tomorrow is the last day it's showing in 3D, then it's only showing on one screen. Christmas Day is one of the busiest days of the year. Does New Line realize that this is really going to hurt the box office? It's like they don't want it to reach the $300 million mark.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 3:07pm

Post #2 of 34 (688 views)
Shortcut
It's the theaters to decide [In reply to] Can't Post

WB can't force them.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 23 2013, 3:09pm

Post #3 of 34 (659 views)
Shortcut
Think it's the theater [In reply to] Can't Post

But it that's true, DOS will have its revenge in that the Christmas releases are tepid. But you could call the theater and ask what's up. This stuff is getting on my nerves, because I want to take a friend to see it in IMAX or 3-D this coming weekend - DOS deserves a premium screen.

Old Toby
Gondor

Dec 23 2013, 3:35pm

Post #4 of 34 (597 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry to hear that your theaters aren't going to show it! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just crazy, since it only just came out! At least where I live I'm going to see it on Christmas Day in 3D IMAX! I think it's the decision of the theater, whether it's being well attended or not, as to how long to play it. Supply and demand.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Imladris18
Lorien

Dec 23 2013, 3:40pm

Post #5 of 34 (602 views)
Shortcut
Looks like it's the last day for HFR for my local theater :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Shame because my family won't be able to see it until the weekend.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 3:46pm

Post #6 of 34 (577 views)
Shortcut
Same here in my small town... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of about 12,000 people. It showed one week in 3D and then this last Friday that Dinosaur movie took over the 3D spot. Now it's just playing in 2D.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 23 2013, 4:42pm

Post #7 of 34 (571 views)
Shortcut
every format is being pulled in many theatres by me [In reply to] Can't Post

if I go by current theatre listings, after tomorrow it's going to be very slim pickings. Just my lame local theatre and several good ones in NYC are showing until this Thursday in every format.

Dang. I will hope for updated listings...that has happened several times in my case. Hope I have the opportunity to see it again later this week.

I wish everyone else gets to see it again too.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 23 2013, 5:41pm

Post #8 of 34 (496 views)
Shortcut
This makes no sense to me at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

10 days, and it's going bye bye?

Tolkien Elimination Game

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=689393;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2013, 5:41pm

Post #9 of 34 (483 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankfully I took my family to see that version yesterday morning (they loved the movie and the format). It's too bad, because I would never see it in the theater any other way now. Frown

Oh well, I suppose I should count myself lucky there was a theater so close to us showing the film in its intended format. Even if only briefly. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 23 2013, 5:49pm)

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 23 2013, 5:48pm

Post #10 of 34 (529 views)
Shortcut
Does this usually happen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien Elimination Game

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=689393;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 6:03pm

Post #11 of 34 (486 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to see if any of the neighboring cities are still showing it in 48fps. Last year we had to make a special drive because the theater in our city wasn't equipped. This year they can show it in 48fps, and after spending all that money to upgrade it's gone after less than 2 weeks? Hopefully I can find a place that's showing it. If all there is is 2D and the blu ray will most likely be out in just a couple months, I'll probably wait, and that's less money for them. My brother and mom still haven't seen it, and my mom is pissed now because they were going to go together tomorrow and my brother is still undecided.

I just looked on boxofficemojo.com and Hobbit is the #1 movie for the second week in a row, so this is just weird. Remember when the LOTR movies used to play for months?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 23 2013, 6:22pm

Post #12 of 34 (469 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ was screened in 3D HFR in Sweden til late-April/early May. This is a strange call by your local cinema Crazy

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 6:27pm

Post #13 of 34 (464 views)
Shortcut
Well, LOTR was a much bigger deal [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR movies had about 60 million admissions at their peak in North America. Hobbit has about half as much, the 2nd one not even that. And it seems as if competition has become stronger in recent years around Christmas.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 23 2013, 6:28pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 6:29pm

Post #14 of 34 (477 views)
Shortcut
In Sweden Hobbit is huge [In reply to] Can't Post

In the US not so much.

Having said that, it's still kinda surprising when a multiplex gets rid of a blockbuster after only 2 weeks.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 23 2013, 6:30pm)

Imladris18
Lorien

Dec 23 2013, 6:29pm

Post #15 of 34 (427 views)
Shortcut
Another semi-local theater is still showing HFR for the foreseeable future. [In reply to] Can't Post

So, there's that. It's not the extra 10-15 min drive that bothers me, it's the fact that the theater right down the street has the capability to show HFR viewings, but it's getting pulled already >_>

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 23 2013, 6:44pm

Post #16 of 34 (418 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it's theaters imitating each other [In reply to] Can't Post

In the sense that I have a lot of theaters around me (urban area) and all the multiplexes were showing DOS in about every format you could imagine, in multiple theaters. The when one theater pulls it the rest of them panic like sheep, and they all end up running the same things. Instead of thinking things through and/or hedging their bets - e.g., here's a long movie, a blockbuster, and people will be off work and going to movies between Christmas and New Year's, while hitting sales and needing something to do. Not to mention it's a no-brainer that a lot of people are not going to go to the dinosaur movie or Ronin or Mitty - it'd be DOS or Anchorman.

But I am not sure what will happen in my area yet, weekend schedules usually are not set around here until Thursday.

tdklimek
The Shire

Dec 23 2013, 7:53pm

Post #17 of 34 (358 views)
Shortcut
youre lucky... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky it is only 3D they are pulling. Around my (central Wisconsin) they are pulling all formats of DOS after christmas eve and it's only been out for 2 weeks. This movie will not reach 1 billion like this.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 23 2013, 9:05pm

Post #18 of 34 (318 views)
Shortcut
yes, it's one plus of the urban U.S. East coast [In reply to] Can't Post

for a mad Hobbit movie fan like me I've had ample opportunity to happily "wallow" in DOS and suspect I still will be able to around here, for a bit longer. Find it outrageous tho that the #1 movie in the U.S. would be being pulled from U.S. theaters at all this soon - unless, perhaps, there are only a few screens in town in that DOS is longer than some films, so a theater can't overturn their audiences as much each night and bring in the concession dollars, in theory. But when IMO some of the new releases have "bomb" written all over them anyway, pulling DOS or Anchorman this week is a mistake.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 10:07pm

Post #19 of 34 (320 views)
Shortcut
Theaters do this [In reply to] Can't Post

When movies suck and are not selling tickets. They condense the screenings and spread out on other screenings. A close friend of mine manages a theater

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 24 2013, 1:37am

Post #20 of 34 (217 views)
Shortcut
It will reach $1b easy [In reply to] Can't Post

...note the US is only a quarter of the market and the mid-west a smidgen of that.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 2:09am

Post #21 of 34 (217 views)
Shortcut
It won't reach $1b easy [In reply to] Can't Post

It might reach it but it certainly won't be easy. It has to overperform in the markets it has yet to be released in. I don't see Australia overperforming, it might do less than AUJ even since apparently the Aussie dollar is weaker relative to the US dollar compared to last year. Japan has plenty of room to grow and maybe China can grow depending on the competition there.

The US (plus Canada) was almost a third of the market for AUJ.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Dec 24 2013, 2:54am

Post #22 of 34 (203 views)
Shortcut
wow that sucks [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

There's still going to be (between 3D and regular) 7 showings on Friday afternoon at my local theater, and I live in Idaho, US.

Seems it's still going strong here...wonder why your theater is pulling it?

Gaubdûkhimâ gagin yâkùlib Mahal

May we meet again with the grace of Mahal

"Mizimel. Her name is Mizimel, because children are and always will be the jewel of all jewels. They are the greatest treasure one could ever have."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 3:16am

Post #23 of 34 (191 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Making 1B I think is a stretch. I see it more around the 850 to 900M mark. We'll see though.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 24 2013, 3:54am

Post #24 of 34 (181 views)
Shortcut
The calculation I did.. . [In reply to] Can't Post

..was based on the AUJ where the final total was around four times the opening weekend. Under this calculation for DOS the US would be around 300m plus non-US of $540m gives $840 plus Aus ~$40m ($43m last year but could be down a little due to Aussie dollar being down 15%), China $50m and Japan $20m. This just sneaks it close to the $1b and we know some markets are stronger to make up for slightly weaker US market. I think there is a high rate of return viewing of these movies, and if this holds up (which it should given the popularity) then $1b (in my optimisic view!!!) should be easy, despite some mid West US theatres giving up on it far too early.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 24 2013, 5:42am

Post #25 of 34 (157 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lucky it is only 3D they are pulling. Around my (central Wisconsin) they are pulling all formats of DOS after christmas eve and it's only been out for 2 weeks. This movie will not reach 1 billion like this.

Maybe not so lucky.... I'm in eastern Wisconsin. I better see this movie again fast while I still can! Dang Christmas! lol If Wednesday wasn't Christmas my wife and I could drive somewhere and go see it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.