Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I'm interesting to see where this might lead in TABA...

moreorless
Rohan

Dec 23 2013, 3:40am

Views: 280
Shortcut
I'm interesting to see where this might lead in TABA... [In reply to] Can't Post

We've seen a number of pretty clear hints towards this kind of situation, perhaps not that Smaug would be a "leader" but that he would on some level serve Sauron. I'd argue that Smaug's intelligence and arrogance make it clear that such service wouldn't be as a mere minion.

It does seem unlike Jackson to introduce these kinds of themes and then not follow up on them, especially in the TE's of his films. That leads me to wonder whether Smaug's story might actually be altered from the book during TABA, perhaps he attacks laketown but then isn't killed by Bard until sometime latter in the story? maybe during the BOT5A?

Actually in terms of Bard's own story I don't see this being too difficult to achieve, even without killing Smaug I think its easy to see how the master can be disgraced/killed with Bard ending up taking on a leadership role simply by how he deals with the disaster(Bard looks to help people to safty, the master looks to protect his personal wealth at the cost of others lives).

The real problem with getting such a change to work for me would be how Smaug and Sauron(or his minions) interact, how would they convince him not to return to Erebor and finish off the Dwarves? how would the interaction be credible? maybe one of the Nazgul? some kind of "vision" sent by Sauron himself similar to the way he communicated with Azog?

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 23 2013, 3:41am)

Subject User Time
Did Sauron desire to see Smaug become the Dragon King of the North? AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 22 2013, 11:33pm
    its possible.. MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Dec 23 2013, 1:42am
        An underking, to be certain, but a king all the same. I think, ultimately, both the Dragon and the Balrog AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 23 2013, 2:23am
            Dragons and Balrogs in politics Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 23 2013, 5:07am
                I don't think control would be necessary. Merely shared interests, and the promise of fulfillment. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 23 2013, 5:58am
                    I agree Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 23 2013, 3:36pm
                        And Sauron was always thus, much more so, generally, than even Morgoth, whose malice AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 23 2013, 10:47pm
                            Yes, the business plan does depend on the partners Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 24 2013, 6:28am
                                About the Balrog, I think it more a matter of ambitions than brains. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 24 2013, 8:26am
                                    Not stupid, just not Evil Overlord material Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 24 2013, 4:06pm
        Sauron, Lord of the Earth Felagund Send a private message to Felagund Dec 27 2013, 10:41am
            oh thats right, your correct, it was isengard MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Dec 27 2013, 7:09pm
    I'm interesting to see where this might lead in TABA... moreorless Send a private message to moreorless Dec 23 2013, 3:40am
        but if smaug perishes by the arrow.. MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Dec 23 2013, 4:23am
            Thats my point really... moreorless Send a private message to moreorless Dec 23 2013, 8:04am
                But the whole point of the BOFA Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Dec 23 2013, 9:00am
                But that's what sparks the BOT5A MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Dec 23 2013, 8:45pm
    In A Way... Fili Send a private message to Fili Dec 23 2013, 4:24am
    I'm not sure that I see Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Dec 23 2013, 9:17am
    Considering in Tolkien's original conception of The Hobbit, Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Dec 24 2013, 8:22am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.