Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Azog vs Bolg in all factors

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 12:40am

Post #1 of 8 (669 views)
Shortcut
Azog vs Bolg in all factors Can't Post

Who do you prefer, in terms of look, CGI, dialogue, design, story, scenes, fighting style and more?
And also, hypothetically, who do you think would win in a fight? ;)

Personally I love Azog and rather dislike Bolg. Azog's design is beautiful but also terrifying, making him look gracefully scary and intimidating. I love his backstory and the Elven features in his design.

Bolg I did not like so much because of the CGI. It looked very clean and fake, whereas Azog and other Orcs looked very authentic. I also did not dig the actual design and thought it was a bit generic. Another thing I didn't like was that many of his scenes in the film were quite simple and lacked meaning i.e "Ah! The Gate is looked!!" or "Ah! We will follow them later". Azog had similar scenes but they each had something to make them worth while like the great direction and White Warg on Weathertop. Bolg's scenes felt quite bland and like they were put in late in production for exposition. I did like his fight vs Legolas though. Those two both felt a bit fake in DOS and this fight help to give each of them a sense of reality and weight. Also, maybe the EE and TABA will fix this, Bolg lacked a cool backstory to give his intentions context.

Also, Azog would massacre Bolg in a fight ;)

What do you all think?

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 23 2013, 12:54am

Post #2 of 8 (335 views)
Shortcut
I like them both. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of all, I like the dynamic between the two. Even though we only got two scenes with them together, I could tell what their relationship is. And that's pretty awesome. As far as design and effects go, DoS Azog is brilliant. There's no other way of saying this, he looks f**king amazing. Bolg looks better than Azog did in AUJ, and I like Bolg's design a lot. But I do have to give that one to Azog. Plus, Manu Bennett does an excellent job, which I think is overlooked.

As to who would win in a fight, Bolg seems to be the more brutal one. Azog has a certain grace to him (weird to say that about an Orc) that Bolg just doesn't have. I think it would be a good fight, but I think Azog would come out on top. A son can never beat his father Smile

I really liked Azog and Bolg, and, honestly, it never once entered my mind during the film "Oh, they should not be CGI." To be honest, I'm quite glad they aren't in prosthetics. I thought they were pulled of greatly and I'm curious to see more interaction between the two. As you can probably tell, I love me my villains Wink

"This day we FIGHT!"

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 23 2013, 1:19am

Post #3 of 8 (322 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

Just overall Azog, but I am interested in learning more about Bolg and Azog relationship. I doubt they will give us a whole lot more of them, but it's nice to have some orcs that stand out from the rest, and survive more than one film. I do very much like my baddies too.

Tolkien Elimination Game

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=689393;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Fili
Lorien

Dec 23 2013, 4:18am

Post #4 of 8 (261 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really hoping for a flashback of Azog and Bolg playing catch or something. Laugh

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 23 2013, 4:28am

Post #5 of 8 (257 views)
Shortcut
No, no, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's clearly going to be the prologue for TaBA Wink

"This day we FIGHT!"

moreorless
Rohan

Dec 23 2013, 9:09am

Post #6 of 8 (242 views)
Shortcut
Clearly Azog but I think that was part of the point of Bolg... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect part of the reason Bolg was sent out after the Dwarves was exactly that he's a more generic "orc heavy" than Azog. In AUJ Azog is clearly the primary villain of the film and actually gets a good deal of screen time and buildup. In DOS on the other hand Smaug is clearly the main villain and before him arguably the main tensions of the story are the conflicts with the Elves and the Master. Bolg and his band are really just used to add a bit of spice to the action, I suspect if you used Azog in that role he'd become too dominant in the story.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 23 2013, 9:09am)

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 2:45pm

Post #7 of 8 (163 views)
Shortcut
My autocorrect... [In reply to] Can't Post

...keeps insisting that his name is BLOG.

At any rate, I may get skewered for this but I think if they had left Azog out and put Bolg in his place throughout the trilogy it would have provided continuity. Have we talked about this before?

Azog's dead - introduce Bolg from the beginning and make him the main antagonist seeking revenge for his father's death. Wasn't really annoyed about it until after watching DoS. Then I started thinking too much!! I hate it when I do that...

However, in terms of the "look," Bolg seems a bit inbred. But then again don't they all. I watched the LOTR over the past two days and sincerely appreciate the prosthetics vs. the CGI face-over. Wish they'd stuck to it.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 4:23am

Post #8 of 8 (84 views)
Shortcut
There are a lot of folks who agree with you on this... [In reply to] Can't Post

At any rate, I may get skewered for this but I think if they had left Azog out and put Bolg in his place throughout the trilogy it would have provided continuity. Have we talked about this before?

I've never liked the idea of Azog surviving Azanulbizar; it's a major change from the text, and I've never felt that the reasons given by the writers for keeping him alive were very good reasons. The "Thorin's revenge" subplot was built up into a huge deal in AUJ, but for DoS the subplot was omitted from the narrative almost entirely. Don't get me wrong; I'm very glad they took the focus off of the Azog/Thorin subplot for DoS. But the fact that they only once referenced what was a pretty major secondary plot in the first film, and gave Azog's old role to Bolg, reinforces my belief that they should have just used Bolg all along for the Orc pursuit. I just fail to see why both Azog and Bolg were needed for these films. Maybe TaBA will make it clearer.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Dec 24 2013, 4:37am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.