Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Favorite artists you would like to illustrate Tolkien's works?

Kullervo
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 2:16pm

Post #1 of 22 (373 views)
Shortcut
Favorite artists you would like to illustrate Tolkien's works? Can't Post

Hello everyone!

I stumbled upon this work by Sergey Knyazev and it immediately made me wish that he would illustrate everything Tolkien ever wrote. His style is so unique and so full of magic that it would be an interesting pairing with Tolkien's text (I think there is a lot of the same "spirit" that tolkien had in his own illustrations, even if it is more decorative and not as simplistic here).This is the painting I'm talking about (sorry if the link is not clickable, haven't quite figured that one out yet):

http://knyazevsergey.deviantart.com/art/Lord-of-the-rings-286010166

What are your favorite (fan)artists that haven't yet illustrated Tolkien (officially, as in a book that has been published), but whom you would love to see illustrate the stories and bring middle-earth to life in a unique way?

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Nov 17 2013, 2:24pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 17 2013, 7:22pm

Post #2 of 22 (269 views)
Shortcut
If it was only possible [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could see more Middle-earth art from the late Frank Frazetta.

As for living artists, Robert Gould would doubtless have a nice take on Tolkien.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kullervo
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 22 (261 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Frazetta, of course [In reply to] Can't Post

Frazetta would be one of my choices also, if it was possible. I've seen black and white drawings of lotr from him, but did he ever do full color paintings of Middle-earth do you know?

And you are right, Robert Gould would be an interesting artist to have his take on Tolkien. I like the use of color in many of his pictures, like for instance in this one:

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/GouldElric4.jpg

Strikingly beautiful.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 9:36pm

Post #4 of 22 (265 views)
Shortcut
This reminds me very much [In reply to] Can't Post

of the painted miniatures on lacquered boxes produced at Palekh, which have a very distinctive style that might work well for Middle-earth. It's dynamic but stylized and archaic, as if it might be something produced at the time of LOTR rather than a modern interpretation.
If you search "palekh" or "palekh art" in Google Images, it brings up lots of examples.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 9:58pm

Post #5 of 22 (265 views)
Shortcut
Some of the Palekh painters [In reply to] Can't Post

seem to have got into Tolkien already - here's a Black Rider

http://www.russianlacquerart.com/images/005210/large.jpg

by someone called Roman Chibisov

Kullervo
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 10:56pm

Post #6 of 22 (257 views)
Shortcut
That looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you are right, it does look like something that was done not just of Middle-earth, bit in Middle-earth. I would love to read the Lord of the Rings with illustrations like that.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 11:04pm

Post #7 of 22 (258 views)
Shortcut
Here's another one [In reply to] Can't Post

By Zhiryakov Alexey, a palekh painting of the story of Farmer Giles.

http://www.russianlacquerart.com/images/003135/large.jpg

(I still can't make them clickable, sorry)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 12:50am

Post #8 of 22 (239 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen [In reply to] Can't Post

the illustrations that Pauline Baynes did for Farmer Giles? Very attractive. But I think she's dead now. If you don't know her work, she's the one who did the original illustrations for the Narnia books; and at least one cover for an edition of LOTR, and (I think) a poster-map of Middle-earth, though I may be misremembering that. (Am I? - does anyone else remember this?)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 5:24am

Post #9 of 22 (236 views)
Shortcut
If we're allowed to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

from among artists along the Paths of the Dead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Leighton

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Nov 18 2013, 7:18am

Post #10 of 22 (231 views)
Shortcut
I have not [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not familiar with Pauline Baynes. So, thank you for that. I googled her and her style is very attractive like you said. There's a similar kind of charm to it than in Tove Jansson's (the creator of the Moomins) work. Tove is one of my absolute favorite illustrators/authors, and her illustrations for the Hobbit are my favorite illustrations for that book. They have a strange, beautiful and mystical quality to them that is absolutely beautiful and captivating to me.

Here are some of the Hobbit illustrations by Tove Jansson:

http://feedbagblog.blogspot.fi/...08/tove-jansson.html

And here is a cover illustration in color:

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/...5/Jansson-Hobbit.jpg

Kullervo
Rivendell

Nov 18 2013, 7:25am

Post #11 of 22 (249 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Edmund Leighton would be great [In reply to] Can't Post

He would definitely have the skills to give the Lord of the Rings the historical epic feel it requires.

I think William Turner would be a great pick of the old masters. His work has such power, and often is or at least feels very mythical. He would be very appropriate and also very interesting.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 5:25pm

Post #12 of 22 (211 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea Tove Jansson had illustrated The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

These are charming, and quirky (as one would expect of her). Thanks for the link.

Kalimac
Bree

Nov 24 2013, 11:28pm

Post #13 of 22 (209 views)
Shortcut
Victor Ambrus [In reply to] Can't Post

His King Arthur illustrations are stunning, and I really think his style would lend its self really well to Tolkien's work.
http://www.victorambrus.com/Books_1_of_5.html

And I would love to see the Silmarillion illustrated by Hayao Miyazaki.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 9:29pm

Post #14 of 22 (226 views)
Shortcut
Re: Hayao Miyazaki [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
His King Arthur illustrations are stunning, and I really think his style would lend its self really well to Tolkien's work.

And I would love to see the Silmarillion illustrated by Hayao Miyazaki.

It is a shame that Miyazaki has recently retired from animated film. I could still see him adapting The Hobbit into a manga (japaniese for comic book or comic strip).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kalimac
Bree

Nov 25 2013, 10:45pm

Post #15 of 22 (176 views)
Shortcut
I agree, it is a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I really want to see Hayao Miyazaki Middle Earth manga. When I read the Silmarillion I basically imagened Haleth as Nausicaa, so I've been imagining it in his style for a while now. I can see The Hobbit working really well in his style too.

Out of curiosity, do you know if there are any graphic novel addaptions of Tolkien's works?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 10:57pm

Post #16 of 22 (255 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth graphic novel(s) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Out of curiosity, do you know if there are any graphic novel addaptions of Tolkien's works?

I only know of one (and a half). There is the condensed and illustrated version of The Hobbit that appeared in the UK magazine Princess in the 1960s. But, I'm not sure if that has been collected or if it properly counts as a graphic novel.

More properly, there is the adaptation of The Hobbit originally serialized by Eclipse Comics in 1989 and 1990. Adapted by Charles (Chuck) Dixon with Sean Deming, and illustrated by David Wenzel, the book is still in print (for $20 SRP in US currency) from Ballantine Books. This is the current printing.

I don't know of any other full, comics adaptations of any other Tolkien works. The Lord of the Rings, alone, would be quite a challenge--to say nothing of The Silmarillion.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 25 2013, 11:01pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 12:00am

Post #17 of 22 (180 views)
Shortcut
The 'Princess' Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

More about the condensed serialization of The Hobbit in Princess magazine. The story was broken up into 15 segments that were published weekly from October 10, 1964 to January 16, 1965 with illustrations by Ferguson Dewar. You can read an article about the project here.

It doesn't look like the project has ever been collected into a single volume. I would say that the time is ripe. Wouldn't you?

Kalimac
Bree

Nov 26 2013, 6:40am

Post #18 of 22 (177 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly would be interesting to see it collected.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 4:39pm

Post #19 of 22 (161 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't particularly want a copy for myself, but I imagine that others feel much differently. I does seem that the condensed text could use a quick polish.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 22 2013, 12:44am

Post #20 of 22 (155 views)
Shortcut
one of my favorites already did... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Miller. Titan is publishing a collection of various illustrations he's done over the past four decades and more of his Tolkien bestiary illustrations will probably show up.

http://www.ian-miller.org/the-art-of-ian-miller/

I love his Ents on the cover. He always did these amazing things with trees.

(This post was edited by Bard'sBlackArrow on Dec 22 2013, 12:47am)

Kullervo
Rivendell

Dec 22 2013, 10:04am

Post #21 of 22 (147 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That ent and that dragon look stunning! Thank you very much for the link. I haven't heard of Ian Miller before, but I must say he is one of my favorites now. His style seems very unique and organic. Beautiful.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 22 2013, 3:34pm

Post #22 of 22 (167 views)
Shortcut
same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Russian icon and fantasy art (wish I would have been able to snag the encyclopedia with gods and such.)

That black rider is great.

Glad you enjoyed Ian Miller's art. The man can get pretty dark, but his style is amazing and extremely detailed. His stuff with trees and fish are particularly good. He did backgrounds for the Ralph Bakshi movie Wizards too.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.