The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
They say "Windlance" not windlass....I listened carefully

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2013, 1:56am

Post #1 of 12 (802 views)
Shortcut
They say "Windlance" not windlass....I listened carefully Can't Post

as I just saw the movie again a few hours ago.

And Bard's son calls it a "black arrow".

I still feel an actual arrow will make an appearance.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 22 2013, 1:56am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 22 2013, 3:02am

Post #2 of 12 (615 views)
Shortcut
Sorta like when Ori said "Up his Jackson" [In reply to] Can't Post

The black arrow shown is more of a javelin, lance or bolt which is to be fired from that turret mounted ballista thing.

Anyway, maybe the lance makes a "wind" sound or spins as it flies because of the shape of its head?

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 22 2013, 4:19am

Post #3 of 12 (550 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched it for the 3rd time, this time I listened for it, and there was definitely an 'n' sound when they say "Wind Lance".

Fili
Lorien

Dec 22 2013, 4:24am

Post #4 of 12 (568 views)
Shortcut
What Would Make This All Really Awesome To Me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is if Bard really believes that one black "javelin" is his only hope, and he fires...

And misses.

And then...he hopes beyond hope that Girion really did knock a scale loose, and fires a black arrow from his quiver into Smaug.

The emotion of that playing out on screen would just be too great, especially for Tolkien fans.

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2013, 4:38am

Post #5 of 12 (554 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't Ori say "jacksy"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2013, 4:50am

Post #6 of 12 (534 views)
Shortcut
That... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be amazing. Yes I think they should do it that way!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2013, 7:53am

Post #7 of 12 (519 views)
Shortcut
Bard definitely says "windlass"... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I queried the Dwarves pronunciation with my teenage boys as I couldn't remember myself how they pronounced it, and they confirmed that they heard Thorin say "windlass" also.

There really is no such thing as a "wind lance" unless you're talking about FINAL FANTASY, LOL - Google it!

btw, the black arrow is just that...the windlass is the mechanical device that fires it!

Maybe Bard is strong enough to fire it from his longbow if the other mechanism jams/is destroyed...we'll see in 12 months time!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Dec 22 2013, 7:55am)

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 22 2013, 1:21pm

Post #8 of 12 (450 views)
Shortcut
Definitely "Wind Lance" [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw the film in IMAX (finally) with very clear sound, and was listening for it. Both Thorin and Balin clearly say "wind lance". My guess is that they've made up this word because the correct term, "ballista", is just too archaic for the average person to understand. So they took the words "wind" and "lance" (as a verb to throw, or as a noun a javelin-like weapon) and combined it with "windlass", (the cranking mechanism of a crossbow or similar device) and came up with "wind lance".

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2013, 2:33pm

Post #9 of 12 (436 views)
Shortcut
This is what I think too... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the term was made up by the filmmakers to describe the Dwarf-made weapon used by the Men of Dale. I not only hear the "n", but also the vowel sound of the a in "lance" (not the different, unstressed vowel sound of the a in "windlass").

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 22 2013, 2:46pm

Post #10 of 12 (440 views)
Shortcut
Yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

He says up his jacksie...its rhyming slang for arse.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 22 2013, 6:18pm

Post #11 of 12 (414 views)
Shortcut
The main thing [In reply to] Can't Post

is to keep all windlasses and/or windlances away from all jacksys. Shocked

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 22 2013, 7:03pm

Post #12 of 12 (401 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Ain't that the truth!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.