The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Movie Balrog Vs. Movie Smaug

Fàfnir
Rohan

Dec 19 2013, 11:58pm

Post #1 of 8 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Movie Balrog Vs. Movie Smaug Can't Post

I know it's a classic battle but now that we have seen movie Smaug I think it deserves another round !

Personnaly I just don't know... Of course Smaug got his size for him, but on land he is kind of clumsy and I suspect a Balrog could counter his teeth and tail attacks. On the other, I think a blow from the Balrog Fire Sword could get through Smaug's armor and be fatal. I think in a closed space like Moria or Erebor the Balrog would win.

In an open space it would be different, since I suspect Smaug to be a much better flyer than the Balrog, and he would have a lot more liberty of movement and more range too... I think in an open space allowing air combat, I would give the win to Smaug.

What are your thoughts ?

(This post was edited by Fàfnir on Dec 19 2013, 11:59pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 20 2013, 10:43am

Post #2 of 8 (1458 views)
Shortcut
The Balrog would win [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, Smaug can fly (despite the fancy wings, we don't know whether the Balrog can fly and let's face it, he'd look stupid in the air!) Sure, Smaug has fire, but the Balrog *is* fire, at least in part, so I doubt that any fire other than the Flame of Anor would harm him.
Also remember what Gandalf said to Thorin in DoS: "Do not enter that mountain without me." Is it possible that Gandalf was initially planning to take on Smaug? The way he says it conveys some degree of confidence (though it would be an interesting and close-fought duel no doubt). However, when fighting the Balrog, Gandalf sensed that the foe was a match for him and seemed to be much more fearful. Based on that evidence I think the Balrog is a more dangerous opponent.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 22 2013, 12:27am

Post #3 of 8 (1340 views)
Shortcut
It would probably be a flame war with no winners // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 1 2014, 10:48pm)

Eredhion
The Shire

Dec 29 2013, 11:26pm

Post #4 of 8 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Balrog would have won but after a fierce fight.

“Not all those who wander are lost”

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2013, 9:01am

Post #5 of 8 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Smaug. [In reply to] Can't Post

Their flames and talons cancel each other out, so Smaug uses his greater smarts to best the Balrog.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2014, 6:50pm

Post #6 of 8 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug's flame wouldn't hurt the Balrog, who is a spirit of fire. It seems unlikely that the Balrog's whip would be fatal to Smaug either, though it might sting a little. I say they quickly recognize and appreciate each others' strength, become instant BFFs and ride off into the sunset together to wreak as much havoc as they can among dwarves, men and elves.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

callMEcrazy
The Shire

Jan 4 2014, 5:24am

Post #7 of 8 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Tough call [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf used the foe hammer to kill the Balrog, so it seems it is actually quite vulnerable to physical attacks, more than Smaug anyway which has its tough scales. The Balrog is made of fire so it could be immune to it but then again dragon fire is no ordinary fire. Dragon fire is said to be strong enough even to melt the rings of power. So that can't be taken for granted. The Balrog is also a lesser flyer than Smaug (presumably) but it does use weapons whereas the dragon does not. Its sword in particular seemed very powerful indeed and in all probability would go through the dragon's scales.

Overall, drawing from the movie portrayals I would have to go with Smaug. It seems wiser and slightly more powerful.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 12:10am

Post #8 of 8 (1358 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf could have had some spell up his sleeve to make Bilbo undectable

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.