The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
New Hobbit House needs your help

ob1thx1138
The Shire

Jan 21 2008, 12:17am

Post #1 of 12 (367 views)
Shortcut
New Hobbit House needs your help Can't Post

Hey guys. I am designing an earth sheltered (under ground) home that my family will start building in a few years. I want to use some design ideas from the movie sets in particular I am interested in the wood work found in the Tavern in Hobbiton especially the grape, wheat and other organic designs found in the carvings. I am wanting to incorporate these designs in our new kitchen/dinning room. Also We are really wanting to copy the front door from Baggend. I am talking about an exact copy...well as close as possible.

So... If you guys could help us find some pictures of these items it would be really appreciated. I have already contacted Weta and they told me I would have to get the stuff from the film company, but they have not returned my emails. So I am really needing your help. Any pictures of these items would really help us out...If they are too large to post then let me know and I will give you my email.

Thanks alot for any help you can give us.

kareniel
Lorien

Jan 22 2008, 12:26am

Post #2 of 12 (233 views)
Shortcut
Hi, ob1! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I have any pictures that would be helpful to you, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to post them on this here newfangled computer thingy. Crazy But, being an antiques dealer, I do have a few good ideas. There's a lot of fabulous Victorian furniture in the continental US which features carved oak leaves, fruit, flowers, mythological creatures, and even grotesque faces. Of course, much of it is very expensive, but if you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can find some pretty nice pieces (chairs, fireplace mantels, sideboards) at antique shops, auctions, flea markets, and junk stores. If it's in poor condition, it's usually reasonably priced. You sound like the type of person who isn't afraid of refinishing and rebuilding old stuff. Sometimes you can find carved pieces of furniture that you could apply to something else. At a second-hand store I once found a matching pair of very old chair backs with wonderful North Wind faces carved into them. They cost six dollars for the pair! My mother used them to build a fireplace surround. They looked great! Lastly, there are companies that cater to refinishers. They sell carved details that you could apply to plain furniture. The best company I know of is VanDyke's Restorers. They have a great catalog, and probably a good web site too. Woodworking shops and hobby stores also carry a limited amount of carved details. I don't know where you live, so I don't know about the availability of the furniture I've described, but keep an eye on eBay's antique section for ideas. Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress of your wonderful project!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2008, 7:49pm

Post #3 of 12 (220 views)
Shortcut
As for general design inspiration ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to TORN!

It sounds like you are interested in incorporating elements of the Arts and Crafts style into your house. The Hobbiton and Bag End sets look like they were inspired by this aesthetic movement, which was popular from about 1890-1925 and had a modest revival a few years ago.

Arts & Crafts emphasizes natural materials and craftsmanship. It was a reaction against the fussy, overblown Victorian aesthetic and draws inspiration from both medieval and modern sources. You can find plenty of ideas for your "hobbit home" and its interiors from looking at the work of William Morris, John Ruskin, early Frank Lloyd Wright, Gustav Stickley, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, the Roycroft community, and the architects Greene and Greene.

And your idea of having a round, Bag End-style door is fabulous!

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Jan 22 2008, 7:50pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jan 22 2008, 9:06pm

Post #4 of 12 (245 views)
Shortcut
Go easy on that door idea [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the film's art directors has said that they had no idea how hard it is to hinge a round wooden door to its frame with strap iron hinges, until they tried. Given that it's a movie, you might assume that a few "tricks" were resorted to to make it work on film.

For instance, if I were them I'd have built a dummy from foam and cardboard, that weighed as little as possible, for the scenes where it is seen opening and closing. Whether they even built a heavy one out of wood for closeups is unclear - after all, the knocking sounds are always dubbed in afterwards anyway.

Take a look at bank vault doors, diving bell doors, and other round hatches, and you'll see that the hinges are quite elaborate, large in relation to the door, and usually stick out from the wall to allow the door to pivot cleanly away from the frame.

Still, since you have the time and the heart for this wonderful project, maybe you will find a very cool way to do this. Tolkien, as you can see, had no clue:

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

ob1thx1138
The Shire

Jan 23 2008, 3:35am

Post #5 of 12 (201 views)
Shortcut
Thanks guys [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for all your wonderful ideas. I am sure I will use all of them to help me get this house designed.

To help clarify a little. The biggest thing we are looking to use from the tavern is the stuff like the columns with grape and wheat designs and the other wood work like that. If I could just get some good pictures of that stuff then I could give them to a local carver and have them make a few pieces for us.

I know the door is going to be a big job, but I think I can make it work. Worst case scenario it will be a false door with a normal rectangle door in the center.

Thanks again for your help.

(This post was edited by ob1thx1138 on Jan 23 2008, 3:36am)

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jan 23 2008, 3:13pm

Post #6 of 12 (197 views)
Shortcut
Your own Hobbit Hole [In reply to] Can't Post

I could swear there was a family who built a Hobbit Hole, complete with round door, on their property as a playhouse for the kids. I'll dig some more to see if I can find it. Meanwhile, this is a project that I've always admired:
http://www.simondale.net/house/

The door isn't round, so much as arched in that one.

ob1thx1138
The Shire

Jan 24 2008, 4:25pm

Post #7 of 12 (179 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again for the info [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a very neat project. Mine however will be mostly constructed of poured concrete. Three walls will be solid poured concrete with the south facing wall being mostly floor to ceiling windows. The roof will also be poured concrete with a few feet of earth on top of that. From the rear the house will look like a hill, or more likely just the top of a hill that was already there.

With the front being mostly glass. I do plan to make the entry way very similar to Baggend. I am planning on an area with a large round door and with a round window on either side. this part of the front wall will probably be finished with stucco or perhaps a wood siding appearance.

I am wanting to make this a fairly green project. I dont plan on using much wood framing at all. Most of the interior partition walls are going to be framed with steel studs. I also plan to have the faux roof on the south wall covered in those solar panels that look like shingles. I also have future plans for a small wind turbine generator.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2008, 6:25pm

Post #8 of 12 (170 views)
Shortcut
Will you post updates here [In reply to] Can't Post

on how the construction goes? I (and I suspect a few others) would love to follow you through this project and see how it turns out.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ob1thx1138
The Shire

Jan 24 2008, 6:34pm

Post #9 of 12 (177 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

I will keep you guys up to date. As of right now we are still in the design phase. I have a floor plan, but it is not finished yet. Hopefully next year we will start looking for the perfect location and get that purchased. We are planning on being in the house though in 5 years. I know that sounds like a long time, but this is a pretty big project for us and we are going to make sure it is done right and that means we are going to have to save up to pay for it.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2008, 7:42pm

Post #10 of 12 (174 views)
Shortcut
You might get more viewers... [In reply to] Can't Post

if you post your updates on main or off topic. There's another member, MistyMountain, who posts updates on her enterprise. If you do a member search for her you can check old posts to see where she's been posting.

Not everyone at TORn checks into movie but people have been pretty interested in MM's posts and I'm guessing they would be in yours, as well.

good luck.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2008, 8:02pm

Post #11 of 12 (169 views)
Shortcut
Five years? [In reply to] Can't Post

Plenty of time. We'll still be coming down off the high of the Hobbit movie!

;)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ob1thx1138
The Shire

Jan 24 2008, 9:48pm

Post #12 of 12 (168 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I will post something on there now. Thanks.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.