Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Victory Gown?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 20 2008, 10:27pm

Post #1 of 17 (5279 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Victory Gown? Can't Post

This is the costume Ngila Dickson lamented that in classic Peter Jackson style he only shot close-ups of Miranda's face, and all of the beautiful details of the dress were never seen. Unfortunately, it was also one of the costumes missing from the Costume Design Galleries in the EE, though it was in the featurettes. We never get any great pictures of it. Most of the work the costumers put into it was never seen. Want to see some of it?

So, any thoughts?

For more details about LOTR costuming, I highly recommend AlleyCatScratch and Costumer's Guide.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

The Screencap of the Day Schedule

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2008, 11:04pm

Post #2 of 17 (3707 views)
Shortcut
honestly? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had made or contributed to the making of that gown and it barely showed up on camera.. I'd be beyond bummed. I'd be pissy.

I do understand that you can order your camera shots to make sure the gown gets shown. And I appreciate that they go to this much detail even when it won't get any close up attention. But still... it would be disheartening to not be able to see something with all that effort put into it.

On a brighter note, even if it didn't get shown or used, that must have been terrific experience for the people who worked on them. Not every movie has the budget for or the interest in this much detail so it would be a gift to be able to put something like this in one's resume/portfolio/CV.

Sometimes I think the people who are most successful at their craft are the ones who practice it even when there's no immediate payoff. Those who wait for a 'reason' don't get half the experience as those who do it at the drop of a hat for no reason at all... except for love and mad passion.

I love the embroidery work on the front middle-panel. I would love to see that in person to see how they stitched it. Is it a bouillon stitch?

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 20 2008, 11:38pm

Post #3 of 17 (3634 views)
Shortcut
I have now, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And now I want one for my very own..

Not that I have any place to wear it, mind you -- but it would be nice to have gown just for life's victories, especially one as beautiful as that.

Thanks for giving the costuming work a much deserved spotlight, on this board at least. Well done!

Weaver

Nimloth
Lorien

Jan 21 2008, 5:42am

Post #4 of 17 (3613 views)
Shortcut
It's beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love seeing the detail on the costumes. I went to see the LOTR exhibition and the work on the costumes was amazing, the movies didn't do them justice. Thanks for posting the pics. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2008, 6:55am

Post #5 of 17 (3628 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful - Thank-you :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 21 2008, 6:55am

Post #6 of 17 (3645 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I do understand Ngila! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a pity Peter didn't do this gown justice - it's truly great!

The wealth of details they did - not only on the costumes - always amazed me, as they did it even if it was not or barely to be seen in the movies. I saw Galadriel's gown in the LotR Movie Exhibition and couldn't believe it how much they did for this one gown. And I appreciated it even more as I absolutely hate sewing - it takes me far less time to knit a sweater than to sew on a button ;-)

Thank you for these posts - it's good that there are people who appreciate Ngila's work so much!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jan 21 2008, 8:08am

Post #7 of 17 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Please let me add my kudos. I love your site and your insight. [In reply to] Can't Post

And your links.
ShockedThanks for posting about yet another fabulous costume.
A joy and a pleasure to see these marvelous gowns. Especially the close-ups of Eowyn's funeral attire and that astounding green dress we saw here in a previous thread. We can take time to appreciate them now, even though they were often passed by in the films. Those sites you linked have just everything a costuming geek, or any geek for that matter, might be interested in. So nicely done, too.
I hope the movie props and costumes will be released now for display to fans. New Line may be cooperative with the Hobbit deal done. There is still avid interest in them. I would go to see a LOTR museum tour again in an instant.
Do keep these fascinating costume posts coming.
What a thrill!
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others, briefly)

Elven
Valinor

Jan 21 2008, 10:47am

Post #8 of 17 (3649 views)
Shortcut
The Look on Ngilas face was just as classic ... [In reply to] Can't Post

though she commented with such grace about the shot ...
It is a truely astounding dress - the lines and the flow of the pieces ... the minute deatil in the fabric ...
Ah!! and Miranda wears 'powder blue' SO well Smile
It was a shame we never got to see this dress in full - and I think (in a way) Ngila was disappointed too ... *sigh*

and just to agree with hobbitloves post - thankyou Arew's Daughter for the great threads on the costumes - they add a nice touch of 'glam' - a little bit of femine beauty - in contrast to all the leather and chainmaille Wink - though maybe thats coming up ...
The discussions on the Dresses are a real treat!

Im not sure we'll have much to talk about when the Hobbit arrives in the way of frills and frocks!

Cheers
Elven

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2008, 1:24pm

Post #9 of 17 (3591 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Dresses like these suit Miranda Otto so well. She looks like Eowyn just wearing a dress like this and with her hair tied back.

I absolutely adore the dress designs and detailing in all the women's costumes in LOTR, and now I'm suddenly realizing that we probably won't get to see anything of the sort in The Hobbit (if they stay true to the book and don't include any other storylines like the White Council).

Hopefully the bridge film will have women-presence like Galadriel and Arwen, and we get to see some more beautiful work by Ngila Dickson.

Thanks so much for posting these pics Arwen's daughter. We're all loving your posts. Keep 'em coming Smile

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2008, 3:07pm

Post #10 of 17 (3597 views)
Shortcut
Yes, poor Ngila [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember her commenting on that gown in the DVD extras. Imagine how much work must have gone into that bodice, for it never to be shown onscreen! Thank goodness for obsessive internet fans. I hope Ngila knows that some of us out here are appreciating all the work she did.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Mishka
The Shire

Jan 21 2008, 4:25pm

Post #11 of 17 (3650 views)
Shortcut
Details in costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

When I went to the Lord of the Rings exposition in Toronto a few years back (Two Towers) and saw the details in the costumes, I could not believe how beautiful they were! Saruman's costume for exemple, was amazing, but you don't really notice the details all that much in the movie either. All the costumes were amazing and I would have love to see a bit more in detail the dress that Eowyn wears at the coronation in ROTK! Thanks for the pictures

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2008, 5:39pm

Post #12 of 17 (3630 views)
Shortcut
Since we're discussing Eowyn's wardrobe [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what her wedding gown looks like, seeing as the complete scene was filmed. Arwen's daughter, I haven't had time to go through your site in detail, I'll do so soon, but was any design for this dress ever seen anywhere?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 21 2008, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 17 (3622 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no image ever seen, not even a sketch, for Eowyn's wedding dress. I think that we know it was beaded from a set report, but that could be mistaken. And Ngila said it was one of her favorite dresses Crazy. That's literally all that we know.

And just for the record, the LOTR costume sites I've listed are not my own. I've never tackled a LOTR costume site simply because it's been done before more thoroughly and just frankly better than I could ever do. This movie is far too much for just one person to handle Cool

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 21 2008, 7:04pm

Post #14 of 17 (3573 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's a bullion stitch [In reply to] Can't Post

But I honestly can't see it well enough to tell. I think it's probably a satin stitch.

I know what you mean about wanting to see it in person. I walked around the costumes on display in Houston for hours trying to see all of the details. And they only had one costume per character on display! I want more!

I do hope that all of these costumes have been well stored and aren't gathering dust and wrinkles in some musty cardboard box. Too many costumes that finally come out of storage are all wrinkled and creasedCrazy

I believe Ngila said something like "there's no point in having any ego about these things." But I think she has every right to be proud of the work she's done, even if it's not on film! These costumes are gorgeous. In fact, these costumes are the reason I learned to sew!

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 21 2008, 7:10pm

Post #15 of 17 (3581 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had considered branching out into some of the armor pieces, which are just as wonderful and detailed. Plus we have wizards costumes to consider. Do those count as glam? Wink

The Hobbit will have Rivendell, and hopefully some nice background costumes there. And I'll be curious to see what they do with the elves in Mirkwood. I wonder if they'll stay with the Rivendell/Lothlorien style or try something new. But you're right, probably no gorgeous gowns for us girls. *sigh*

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 22 2008, 4:15am

Post #16 of 17 (3564 views)
Shortcut
Thank you bringing them to us nonetheless [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been enjoying your costume-related posts. I hope you'll be continuing to share them with us!

The women's gowns are beautiful - and so are many of the men's, would you agree? The silvery garment that Elrond wore in the Rivendell scenes, for instance .....

_V_
Lorien

Dec 21 2008, 10:12pm

Post #17 of 17 (3467 views)
Shortcut
Intionally imitated a show from a famous (Alan Lee or John Howe?) painting [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.