The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bombur in TaBA (speculation spoilers)

1415dr
The Shire

Dec 17 2013, 4:32pm

Post #1 of 11 (4525 views)
Shortcut
Bombur in TaBA (speculation spoilers) Can't Post

I've been dissapointed with Bombur not speaking. He has some great moments, don't get me wrong, but I hope this silence is leading up to something useful.

I had hoped that he and Bilbo would share a cry over the lack of food in Mirkwood. Maybe in the EE.

I really , desperately hope, that when Bilbo is sneaking out of the mountain Bombur is on guard. Bilbo has to trick him into letting him pass, and Bombur could give him a little guilt trip. He could say, with wisdom and friendship, how the whole party was grateful for his help. I think it could be very touching, and really demonstrate how difficult Bilbo's decision to defect really was.

Then of course, Bombur should have another great battle moment in the BOFA.

Pazeer
Rivendell

Dec 17 2013, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 11 (4294 views)
Shortcut
I read somewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

That Bofur is the one watching out when Bilbo is leaving the mountain, and they share a dialogue with Bofur like: "I understand you're leaving when there's a battle coming" and that he won't tell anybody that he's leaving.

Fili
Lorien

Dec 17 2013, 4:43pm

Post #3 of 11 (4231 views)
Shortcut
That Would Make For A Great Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be very profound since we haven't heard Bombur speak yet.

Still, I'd brace myself for disappointment. It was kind of a given that if one character was going to be sacrificed for comic relief, it would be Bombur.

Really do hope that scene isn't with Bofur again. Other dwarves need more screen time!

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

1415dr
The Shire

Dec 17 2013, 5:02pm

Post #4 of 11 (4173 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really mad about it after AUJ, but the people on this board gave me some good explanations. In the end, Bombur get's more personality across than most simply because of his size. I must say that being the quiet one seems to work really well for him. I'll be cautiously optimistic for now.

Bofur would not be a good choice for that scene because it would be too similar to the goblin cave. Balin might pull it off though...

thanks!

1415dr
The Shire

Dec 17 2013, 5:03pm

Post #5 of 11 (4201 views)
Shortcut
that would be perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

Rickster
Rohan

Dec 17 2013, 5:12pm

Post #6 of 11 (4176 views)
Shortcut
that would be more than enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when actors play without having to say a word
A tribute to Laurel and Hardy it is

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2013, 7:20pm

Post #7 of 11 (4104 views)
Shortcut
I actually loved... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how Bombur was able to steal several scenes in DOS without saying a single word. Talk about presence!Smile

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 17 2013, 7:39pm

Post #8 of 11 (4104 views)
Shortcut
It's deliberate [In reply to] Can't Post

Nesbitt confirmed on the podcast linked yesterday that Bombur was being kept silent on purpose. He hinted it may be leading up to something, but we'll see.

PoorFatBombur
The Shire

Dec 18 2013, 12:09am

Post #9 of 11 (4038 views)
Shortcut
Commando [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Nesbitt confirmed on the podcast linked yesterday that Bombur was being kept silent on purpose. He hinted it may be leading up to something, but we'll see.

Has anyone ever seen any of the Jay and Silent Bob movies?

Maybe it's like that, where they're waiting until near the end for Bombur to have an outburst and go on a rant...

happydood
The Shire

Dec 18 2013, 1:07am

Post #10 of 11 (4034 views)
Shortcut
I think that's a fun idea, Commando... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can also get with the idea of him never saying a word and no reference made to it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 18 2013, 7:39am

Post #11 of 11 (4041 views)
Shortcut
He'll have something to say in TABA, something like: [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur: "What about ...."

And then one of the other Dwarves will interrupt him, and we'll all laugh. Unimpressed

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.