Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rank the prologues and the endings for each Middle Earth film and guess the prologue for TABA :)

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 16 2013, 2:18pm

Post #1 of 22 (667 views)
Shortcut
Rank the prologues and the endings for each Middle Earth film and guess the prologue for TABA :) Can't Post

For me

Endings, although they are all basically equal:

5th: AUJ: Carrock Scene and Smaug teaser
4th: ROTK: Grey Havens and "I'm back."
3th: DOS: "I am fire. I am...DEATH."
2nd: TTT: Gollum planning
1st: Sam and Frodo continuing the adventure

Prologues,

5th: DOS: Planning the quest
4th: AUJ: Erebor history and attack/ Old Bilbo
3th: TTT: Gandalf vs Balrog
2nd: ROTK: Gollum's origin
1st: History of the One Ring/ Concerning Hobbits scene

My guess for TABA prologue would be...A peaceful day dream of Bilbo in the Shire, Bard and his lovely wife before she died (say she died a little under a year ago) with his family, the Dwarfs in the Blue Mountains with Thorin's unrest and Smaug enjoying life in the Lonely Mountain telepathically communicating with Sauron. A montage of how things were before the quest. We then see "There and Back Again" title and we cut to Smaug attacking Lake-town.

What do you guys think?

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 16 2013, 2:32pm

Post #2 of 22 (478 views)
Shortcut
At this moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm struggling to see how TABA can begin with anything other than Smaug's attack on Laketown, given that the second one ended on a cliffhanger. The only alternative I can see is something involving Beorn and Radagast breaking Gandalf out of Dol Guldur, should they choose to go down that route.

Although more low key than we're used to, I love the DoS prologue, especially the way the scene builds with the music and we get the transition to Bilbo. And for those who don't feel it was 'epic' enough, I imagine the insertions of scenes involving Thrain in the EE will give it greater import.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Dec 16 2013, 2:35pm)

nhui06
Rivendell

Dec 16 2013, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 22 (473 views)
Shortcut
LOTR was legend [In reply to] Can't Post

Man, the Prologues for all 3 LOTR films were just epic - I can't rank those. Gandalf VS Balrog? The backstory of how Smeagol became Gollum? The introduction of Sauron and the Ring? Timeless. AUJ Prologue was good too. I thought DOS was pretty weak though. I get PJ wanted to remind the audience of what the whole story was about (something he said he didn't want to do for LOTR if I remember his commentary). It was the whole human assassins that threw me off - why humans would side with Azog was baffling. They could have cut all that out (and maybe show more Thrain).

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 16 2013, 2:41pm

Post #4 of 22 (449 views)
Shortcut
That's tough [In reply to] Can't Post

Endings:
5) FotR. Love this ending. Frodo and Sam being Frodo and Sam
4) AUJ. I loved that shot of Smaug's eye opening especially with that growl in the end. Really cool especially in the theater.
3) TTT. Love Gollum coming up with his plan and then the beautiful shot of Mordor to end it. Great ending.
2) DoS. I love that line by Smaug. "I am fire. I am... Death". Plus I love cliffhangers like that. What a spectacular ending.
1) RotK. Has to be. So emotional.

Like you said, all are beautifully done. There are very small margins in between each one. If I could put them all at number one I would.

Prologues:
5) DoS. The slowest one, but still great.
4) TTT. Gandalf Heart
3) RotK. Smeagol Heart You can't not love Andy Serkis' portrayal. Amazing
2) AUJ. Love seeing Erebor and Smaug wreck everything. I was mesmerized by this scene when I first saw it.
1) FotR. Sets up the whole story beautifully.

Again, these could all be number one. They're all really great.

I think a Necromancer-based Prologue would be cool for TaBA. I think that is a fair guess. Maybe that's where we'll see Beorn there and Bolg, Azog, etc. That would be a really cool Prologue in my opinion.

"Seriously, why was the scene with CGI dwarf ass NOT in the theatrical cut?!"

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 16 2013, 2:58pm

Post #5 of 22 (429 views)
Shortcut
The Alpha & The Omega [In reply to] Can't Post

Endings:

1. ROTK
2. FOTR
3. DOS
4. AUJ
5. TTT

Prologues

1. FOTR
2. TTT
3. AUJ
4. DOS
5. ROTK

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Dec 16 2013, 3:08pm

Post #6 of 22 (401 views)
Shortcut
my take [In reply to] Can't Post

Endings

5th - DOS
4th - AUJ
3rd: TTT
2nd : FOTR
1st: ROTK

Prologues,

5th: DOS: Planning the quest
4th: AUJ: Erebor history and attack/ Old Bilbo
3th: FOTR
2nd: TTT
1st: FOTR

I'll be interested to see if there is a prologue for TABA. I can see why they would want to skip having a prologue so they can cut right to Smaug, but that would be a bit odd to me; all LOTR/Hobbit films have prologues!

They could have a very brief prologue...but I'm not sure what it would be. Does anyone have a guess?

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Pazeer
Rivendell

Dec 16 2013, 3:11pm

Post #7 of 22 (402 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, hard to choose! [In reply to] Can't Post

Prologues:
1) AUJ: Erebor and the dragon attack
2) FOTR: History of the one ring
3) TTT: Gandalf vs Balrog
4/5) DOS: Planning the quest and ROTK: Gollum´s origin
It's to hard to separate the last two...

Endings:
1) FOTR: Boromirs death and till the end of the movie is the best sequence in any movie ever imo
2) DOS: Smaugs last words were chilling...
3) ROTK: The end of the adventure...
4) AUJ: Carrock and Smaugs eye
5) TTT: Gollum planning

Hard to differentiate when every prologue/ending is really good.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 16 2013, 3:22pm

Post #8 of 22 (392 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one who needs to let DoS sink in longer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Beginning:

1. Fellowship
2. AUJ
3. ROTK
4. TTT

End:

1.Fellowship
2.AUJ
3.TTT
4. ROTK

I'll place DoS after a second viewing. I doubt the extended will change the beginning or ending.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2013, 3:31pm

Post #9 of 22 (400 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Endings:

5. DOS: One of the most ridiculous cliffhangers I've seen since The Matrix Reloaded Crazy Also like The Matrix, only existed because the story was stretched out past its breaking point over multiple films.
4. TTT: I feel kind of bad putting this so low, since it has a bunch of good stuff, but it should really be shorter and more exciting. The exact opposite of DOS' problem.
3. AUJ: The action scene was preposterous, but it had some of the few good character moments in the film. And "I do think the worst is behind us" was funny as a preemptive response to criticism.
2. ROTK: In my opinion, people who complain about the multiple endings are missing the point. It's wrapping up a 9.5 hour (11.5 in the EE) trilogy, it needs to be long. And the exaggeration of the length of the ending has gotten out of hand over the years. A great send-off.
1. FOTR: The final act is pitch-perfect from beginning to end, and the final scenes strike the best balance between concluding a stand-alone film and setting up the continuation of the series that PJ has yet achieved. It's neither overly drawn out nor abrupty shortened. This was the easiest choice for me.

Prologues:

5. AUJ: Which prologue? The film has way too many of them, yet still fails to set up crucial backstory, so they keep pulling away from the main quest to fill the audience in on stuff even 45 minutes into the movie. An utter waste of time. The Frodo/Bilbo fanservice scene is also grating.
4. DOS: Chock full of fanservice, but also the only point in DOS where the LOTR callbacks actually work. Unfortunately it also thoroughly muddles the lore and has a blatant diss towards the source material ("this is no chance meeting"). Totally losable.
3. ROTK: I like it, but it's the least necessary of the LOTR prologues. I kind of feel that this would have worked better in its original conception as a flashback in TTT. Fleshes out Gollum's backstory though which is a nice touch.
2. FOTR: I went back and forth on the top two here, but I put this at the #2 spot because I think it's a little rough around the edges. The EE version improves on it significantly, however, and also adds "Concerning Hobbits" which is pretty much crucial.
1. TTT: Sets up Gandalf's return, which is important storywise (though it arguably might have worked better as a surprise), but more importantly it pulls you back into Middle-earth right off the bat. Showing the most iconic scene from FOTR from a different perspective and then following the aftermath was a stroke of genius. Given the relatively slow start of TTT, I think this was an incredibly important part of getting people invested and making TTT the film that it is.

As for TABA, I assume that Old Bilbo and Frodo will make another appearance, though probably at the end. Your peaceful day flashback idea is an interesting one, and it certainly sounds plausible to me. It would mirror the Gollum's origin prologue of ROTK in an interesting way. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something of Sauron and Dol Guldur in the Prologue, though.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 16 2013, 3:44pm

Post #10 of 22 (392 views)
Shortcut
AUJ Prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

So did FOTR.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 16 2013, 3:49pm

Post #11 of 22 (371 views)
Shortcut
That's absolutely correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both were incredibly similar, and took awhile to get up and going for that matter.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2013, 3:53pm

Post #12 of 22 (371 views)
Shortcut
FOTR did not have... [In reply to] Can't Post

- A framing sequence with older characters
- Flashbacks that interrupted scenes of traveling
- Lengthy flashbacks when it did break for exposition

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Dec 16 2013, 3:53pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 16 2013, 4:52pm

Post #13 of 22 (343 views)
Shortcut
Prologues/Endings [In reply to] Can't Post

Prologues:

1. FOTR
2. AUJ
3. TTT
4. DOS
5. ROTK

Endings:

1. AUJ
2. FOTR
3. DOS
4. TTT
5. ROTK

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 16 2013, 5:07pm

Post #14 of 22 (327 views)
Shortcut
ROTK has the worst ending because it ended!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 16 2013, 5:15pm

Post #15 of 22 (324 views)
Shortcut
Why do some people number [In reply to] Can't Post

…these lists from 1 to 5, and others from 5 to 1? Is the latter an American thing? Number 1 for me is the one I like the most (and so on), so ROTK was the one I liked the least when it came to prologues and endings.

Just curious. Tongue

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 16 2013, 5:27pm

Post #16 of 22 (308 views)
Shortcut
That's a good question. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure to be honest. I just like to do it from what I liked most to least.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 16 2013, 5:30pm

Post #17 of 22 (308 views)
Shortcut
I consider 1 is the best no matter what, and 5 is the worst [In reply to] Can't Post

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2013, 5:33pm

Post #18 of 22 (300 views)
Shortcut
Some are countdowns, some are countups [In reply to] Can't Post

Number 1 is still the best, but it can be more fun to read a list from the bottom and guess at what will be in the top spot. I like reading lists like that, so when I create lists, I often have them in reverse order.

FoFo64
Rivendell

Dec 16 2013, 5:34pm

Post #19 of 22 (310 views)
Shortcut
They're all great so this is a subjective list [In reply to] Can't Post

PROLOGUES:

1: TTT - Jesus, seeing Gandalf fighting the Balrog for the first time in theaters left me utterly exhilarated! It was a completely surprising scene for me as I had not read the books yet, at the time, and thought Gandalf had died. I actually sat at the edge of my seat in the theater, just taken away by that moment!

2: FOTR: It's been 12 years since Middle-Earth took hold of my soul and this epic setup to the entire trilogy is beyond a doubt responsible for that.

3:AUJ: Smaug. That is all.

4: DOS: This is a very quiet and subdued moment when compared to the other prologues, but no less treasured. Since the time I first read of this scene in Unfinished Tales, I never dreamed I'd ever see it on screen! And I absolutely LOVED it.

5: ROTK: Although it's last on my list it is by NO means any less treasured than the rest. I think all prologues are fantastic. And this moment was absolutely memorable seeing Smeagol's murder of his best friend and subsequent corruption by the ring.

ENDINGS:

1: ROTK: I personally consider the ending everything from the moment Frodo throws the ring into Mount Doom onwards. I can't downplay how happy I was to see PJ and crew not give in to the temptation of ending the story prematurely in order to satiate the impatient modern-moviegoing audience. This was a story of tremendous proportions and to end it short of the 30 minutes we were given, as an end, would have done a tremendous disservice to the trilogy. I am so glad they tied up every single character and plot thread in a nice little bow.

2: TTT: Helm's Deep was a fantastic and climactic way to end the middle child of the LOTR trilogy. And Gollum's foreshadowing to Shelob was spine tingling.

3: AUJ: This may be controversial for some. But I really LOVED the hearfelt moment when Thorin finally reconciled his initial distrust of Bilbo and hugged him in honest thankfulness. This moment along with the accompanying music by Howard Shore, sent chills down my spine.

4: FOTR: Boromir's final moments have to honestly be one of the best scenes put on film! That said since I had not read the books yet at the time of FOTR, I did not know they were a trilogy. So the cliffhanger ending really left me out in the cold! However, I still absolutely loved the movie and became a hardcore Tolkien fan since, eagerly awaiting the next installment.

5: DOS: Although at first I felt perturbed that PJ and crew made the dwarves fight Smaug, after seeing the film a second time, this battle has grown on me. And seeing Smaug fly out into the night shouting "Revenge! I will show you Revenge!" was pretty bone chilling. As were the following memorable likes, "I am fire! I am Death!" And then the worst cliffhanger to date! I honestly cannot wait till the next movie!

(As you can tell this list isn't actually a list of best to worst, but more a list of my personal favorites)

(This post was edited by FoFo64 on Dec 16 2013, 5:37pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 16 2013, 5:34pm

Post #20 of 22 (296 views)
Shortcut
I see [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks as though we (and Elessar) are 'on the same page', as they say, but others are not. Wink

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 16 2013, 5:35pm)

Grimbold
The Shire

Dec 16 2013, 7:29pm

Post #21 of 22 (260 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Prologues: (easy)

5. DOS
4. TT
3. AUJ
2. ROTK
1. FOTR

Endings: (not so easy)

5. FOTR
4. DOS
3. AUJ
2. TT
1. ROTK

Pazeer
Rivendell

Dec 16 2013, 7:39pm

Post #22 of 22 (253 views)
Shortcut
I've watched it 4 times already [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's starting to sink in quite nicely Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.