anyone feeling just a little sad?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 2:30am

Post #1 of 75 (9861 views)
Shortcut
anyone feeling just a little sad? Can't Post

First, I love this new board. I especially love the fact that the posts are threaded (if you want them). I love how quickly I figured (most) of the stuff out. I absolutely LOVE the search feature (haven't used it yet, but in theory I love it).

I love the smilies Cool even if it's embarrassing to admit it Blush.

And as usual, I love the friendliness and warmth and intelligent and amusing chatter and thoughts from all the Tornsibs. It goes without saying (which has never stopped me before!) that this is just about the friendliest place on the net.

Still, I admit to going over to the old board a time or two today, just to...see it. The familiar look of the RR page is just so...familiar. I often check the RR page even before my email in the morning; I'm so used to the way it looks.

I miss it. I miss that old place.

Why do our brains think of a bunch of words and pictures on a computer screen as a "place"? Why do we feel like Torn (or any other loved board or gathering place on the web) is a real place in the sense of bricks and mortar realness? Why---if it's just about people, and the people are the same here as there---in fact, here is really there if you catch my existential drift---do we miss the "trappings" of the "place" we used to "be"?

Does anyone think this seems like a bigger "place"? Am I the only one missing the clunky old place tonight?

Heart a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 3:04am

Post #2 of 75 (9085 views)
Shortcut
*still tearing* yeah... I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 3:11am

Post #3 of 75 (9023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grammaboodawg] *still tearing* yeah... I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG THERE YOU ARE GRAMMA

:: tackles, hugs ::

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 3:14am

Post #4 of 75 (9014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grammaboodawg] *still tearing* yeah... I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma, I was wondering where you might be!!!

glad you made it!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 3:14am

Post #5 of 75 (9016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a.s.] anyone feeling just a little sad? [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as all our old friends have or will move in to the new forums, I'll be happy!Smile

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 3:17am

Post #6 of 75 (9037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a.s.] anyone feeling just a little sad? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, just a smidge. There seems to be so much going on over here! It's like being at a great party when my hearing isn't quite what it was and there are so many interesting conversations going on around me.
Some who share your nostalgia are spilling it here.

((a.s.))

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 3:19am

Post #7 of 75 (9013 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't tell you how many times I got pangs in my heart over the last few months going from here back to the old boards. I've teared up a couple of times at some of the tribute parodies already posted. At least the old boards aren't going anywhere. We'll be able to access them on a read-only basis and take occasional strolls down memory lane. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 3:20am

Post #8 of 75 (9023 views)
Shortcut
*FTH* gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you made it!! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 3:23am

Post #9 of 75 (9011 views)
Shortcut
Re: I am too confused to feel sad yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

If i did not have been led by the hand all the way by a dear friend, i'd still be trying to get out of the gate at Bag EndCrazy.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 3:29am

Post #10 of 75 (8983 views)
Shortcut
{{silnedor}} [In reply to] Can't Post

You're doing great!

Hang in there... you'll be to Crickhollow in no time. Oh, and stop by the Green Dragon for a cold one on the way, you deserve it. Smile

TORn Calendar

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 3:32am

Post #11 of 75 (8978 views)
Shortcut
Gramma! You're here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now the place feels like home.
=)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 3:34am

Post #12 of 75 (8991 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and yes, and ... yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love it. It's marvelous.

But... I hate first days. Of anything. And this one's a doozy - despite the marvelous road-smoothing by Altaira and the marvelous team... It does! It does seem bigger, and ... yep, there's a lump in my throat.

There've been quite a few comparisons made, but here's another anyway - it's like giving up a stout-hearted old car with which you've been through a lot for one that ... actually works.

*hands out Kleenex*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, clearly "[ ]" doesn't work.

TORn – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 3:34am

Post #13 of 75 (8949 views)
Shortcut
THERE you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

*pounces*

Hum, well, it is a little saddening, but as long as everyone makes it over here, I think I'll be good :) In the end, we'll all get used to it ^^

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 3:35am

Post #14 of 75 (8956 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma made it! Sly

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 3:36am

Post #15 of 75 (8971 views)
Shortcut
oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

there ya got me startin' up all over again. *reaches for tissues*

:) hugs!

Lady of Light
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 3:37am

Post #16 of 75 (8966 views)
Shortcut
Gramma's here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hooray!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?"
"No! Well yes, but that's not the point..."

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 3:38am

Post #17 of 75 (8985 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already missing it. I've adjusted my settings to make it as close to the old boards as it can be, but it's still a compromise. I understand the technical problems with the old boards, and it's great that we can search and edit posts and won't kill the server, but I'm still sorry the new ones couldn't look and feel more like the old. (It's not just a matter of what one is used to, either; for me, the old board format was just WAY easier on my aging eyes.)

Odd that this place seems "bigger," but you're right, it does. And I'm not sure why.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 3:39am

Post #18 of 75 (9021 views)
Shortcut
still missing some regulars... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I'm hijacking gramma's FTH (sorry, gramma!) because I notice many regulars aren't here yet.

Like: the RR's been up and running since this am, and I haven't seen NEB or Curious yet...

It just won't seem like the RR until all our regulars are here. There. Here AND there.

Unsure

a.s. (potentially overdoing the smilies)

"an seileachan"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 3:47am

Post #19 of 75 (8970 views)
Shortcut
Once we all get used to these formats [In reply to] Can't Post

it'll be fine. But there are little tricky places: such as, sil's "Post" box was nonexistent, until we found he had to change "advanced editor" to "basic editor"!

But no worry, if we all work together we can work it out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 3:47am

Post #20 of 75 (8987 views)
Shortcut
Knowing them... They're still reading the manual ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 3:56am

Post #21 of 75 (8972 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really...I remember my first car, an already-used Datsun standard-shift, which I loved, and I actually cried when told it had rusted so badly underneath that it needed to be replaced. I have fond memories of coddling the manual choke to get it started on cold mornings...

Yeah, that's the old boards. We love 'em. But all things must pass, and we must move on, experiencing the "growing pains" and taking moments here and there to gently massage our struggling brain muscles as we adapt...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 4:03am

Post #22 of 75 (8954 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Gramma's come on-Board! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool I guess they're "officially" open, then! Wink

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 4:06am

Post #23 of 75 (8999 views)
Shortcut
oddly, what gets me is how everyone else looks so...different here [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost as odd as it feels when I meet someone in person. But all the added color and pics and smilies and stuff oddly affects the way I mentally see you all. Very odd!

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 4:21am

Post #24 of 75 (8925 views)
Shortcut
You're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost like everyone's all dressed up, when we're used to them/us in sweats.

We clean up well. But it's not as comfortable.

Yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, clearly "[ ]" doesn't work.

TORn – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 4:50am

Post #25 of 75 (8938 views)
Shortcut
Ice Cream!! Now everything's perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Thank you Peter... What a ride! Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.