Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Themed artistic studies

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 3 2007, 3:44am

Post #1 of 6 (438 views)
Shortcut
Themed artistic studies Can't Post

Okay, I want to throw an idea out there, and I hope I am warranted in doing it.

Sadly I'm not a Tolkien artist, with limited art practice. Well, the real reason you won't be seeing anything from me for a while yet is that I don't have a scanner.

Anyhow, those of you familiar with the Reading Room know that we do themed discussions, usually of chapters in Tolkien's books, although sometimes other things. This week our discussion is on Tolkien fan artwork, as a matter of fact.

But anyhow, my idea is this: we do themed art-shows, in which we have shows of artwork based on our visions concerning different subjects in Tolkien, subjects ranging from particular events to particular characters. Who would be interested in initiationg/participating/running themed artistic studies of Tolkien's works? Wink

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Mar 3 2007, 7:13am

Post #2 of 6 (319 views)
Shortcut
I'm game to discuss anythign art related [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm not sure if you are wanting us to discuss our own work, to produce work or to discuss that of others that relates to Tolkien.
Cna you elaborate al little on what you have in mind?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 3 2007, 1:55pm

Post #3 of 6 (308 views)
Shortcut
I'm wondering the same as linkin... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be fun to see a group tackle the same subject or scene, and compare the results, if that's what you mean. I don't know about my participation; I'm far too rusty, as well as being likewise scannerless (till I have time to beat some sense into the machine) - but it does sound like a challenge.

Time-wise, I'm hurting too... but it would be a nice reason to limber up again...

TheOneRing.net – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 3 2007, 4:19pm

Post #4 of 6 (319 views)
Shortcut
Scene interpretation project [In reply to] Can't Post

>>But anyhow, my idea is this: we do themed art-shows, in which we have shows of artwork based on our visions concerning different subjects in Tolkien, subjects ranging from particular events to particular characters. Who would be interested in initiationg/participating/running themed artistic studies of Tolkien's works?

I've done this before, in the pages of Mythlore (before it changed format and stopped publishing artwork), with some of the other regular artists, and it was eye-openingly interesting. We'd pick a particular passage from Tolkien, then we'd draw our own interpretations, and all of the finished products were printed in the next issue. There were usually three, but sometimes more, artists participating.

We had no idea what the other artists had done, until we saw their works in print. We also each wrote our rationales concerning why we chose to interpret the scene the way we did. It was fascinating.

I find, however, that I don't have time right now to do something like that. I've just started a new writing project, and my creative energies are going there. Maybe sometime down the line I can fit it in, but not right now.

But thanks for proposing the idea, so people can at least think about doing it. Having been a part of a project like this in the past, I can speak from experience to say it was a lot of fun.

(This post was edited by WonderBroad on Mar 3 2007, 4:43pm)

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 4 2007, 3:29am

Post #5 of 6 (296 views)
Shortcut
This is exactly what I am suggesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done this before, in the pages of Mythlore (before it changed format and stopped publishing artwork), with some of the other regular artists, and it was eye-openingly interesting. We'd pick a particular passage from Tolkien, then we'd draw our own interpretations, and all of the finished products were printed in the next issue. There were usually three, but sometimes more, artists participating.

Like I said, I would participate if I had a scanner, which is something I intend to get in the not too distant future. Perhaps we should advertise this in the Reading Room also?

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 6:43pm

Post #6 of 6 (316 views)
Shortcut
Ok, sounds like an awesome idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

We'd need to give ourselves enough time to complete the artwork, though.
I tend to work quite abstractly and haven't done much Tolkien themed art but I'm game to give it a go. Could be a lot of fun.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.