Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gandalf's Magic

AinurMäiron
The Shire

Dec 15 2013, 7:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (737 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's Magic Can't Post

That scene where Gandalf says his magic while walking around Dol Guldur is, IMO, the most "Tolkien" scene. It remembers some of the Silmarillion scenes...
At that point, that scene gave me shivers. What do you think about it?

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Dec 15 2013, 7:42pm

Post #2 of 11 (500 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it was powerful without being over top.

This is the kind of scenes that prove PJ is able to make good fighting scenes without Legolas jumping everywhere Sly

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 15 2013, 7:54pm

Post #3 of 11 (495 views)
Shortcut
Definitely. Very powerful scene, literally and atmospherically. I also really was pleased with [In reply to] Can't Post

the flash in which he vanished, as it was a clear nod to the novel's "not Gandalf. Bilbo's yell had done at least that much good. It had wakened him in a splintered second. When goblins came for him there was a flash like lightning... and several of them fell dead... Where was Gandalf? Neither they nor the goblins knew..." Though I do REALLY wish it HAD killed a few Goblins and knocked Azog on his butt, singed and dazed for a moment.

Returning to the unveiling spell, I loved both the incantation, the fear of some of the orcs that the spell cloaking them from sight was being torn asunder, AND that it showed an aspect of the Wizard's skill in magic that went beyond shattering things and starting fires (though I will be quite happy to see him continue doing more of both the later applications as well Cool ).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Dec 15 2013, 7:58pm)

Eruonen
Valinor

Dec 15 2013, 8:16pm

Post #4 of 11 (417 views)
Shortcut
I thought the contest was done very well, and I wonder if the [In reply to] Can't Post

spell breaking was all that was intended vs being an offensive incantation. Isn't he supposed to refrain from force unless absolutely necessary? Maybe the EE will expand more on his accepted foolhardy mission - he knows it is a trap - and he wanted to break the cloak of concealment. Which by the way answers my question in another thread about his hiding of Narya.

On a side note...in a LOTR thread I argued that a figure of a struggling Sauron can be seen in the eye of the collapsing Barad Dur....others thought it was just an effect. DOS clearly reveals Sauron within the eye as in the Barad Dur scene..(basically a projection tool of his).

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 15 2013, 8:19pm)

Leaf of Mirkwood
Bree

Dec 15 2013, 8:29pm

Post #5 of 11 (382 views)
Shortcut
Really liked this [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked this part of the movie, as it shows some of Gandalf's true power that he is capable of. Reminded me of the scene in RotK where the soldiers/Faramir/Gandalf and Pip are fleeing the Nazgul trying to reach the safety of Gondor and he uses some of his power to push back the Nazgul. Really cool. Much more power to Gandalf than meets the eye.

(This post was edited by Leaf of Mirkwood on Dec 15 2013, 8:29pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2013, 8:31pm

Post #6 of 11 (389 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

as I sat in the theater during that scene, I thought, "Oh, this ought to make AinurOlorin happy!" and then I thought, "But it still probably won't go far enough to satisfy him." Tongue

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 15 2013, 8:33pm

Post #7 of 11 (387 views)
Shortcut
You can also see Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

in the Palantír as Aragorn is challenging him. It's right before it flashes to Arwen lying on the bed. It's a very brief clip, but it's there.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Dec 15 2013, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 11 (370 views)
Shortcut
Instinctive Tolkien. [In reply to] Can't Post

This was the highlight of the movie for me because the stakes were so high and the judgement of the film makers was spot on.

For me this echoed and refracted everything we learn in the Silmarillion about the before world powers.

I go to these films with my instinct nothing more or less. I was totally inside the movie at this point and Gandalf's imprisonment immediately put me in mind of Maedros.
A big win. My criticisms of this film are not about execution they are about judgement and the judgement on this was perfect.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 15 2013, 9:01pm

Post #9 of 11 (338 views)
Shortcut
lolololol You know me. I am admittedly particular. As with much of AUJ, regarding Gandalf, I was pleased in that [In reply to] Can't Post

despite some things not having been quite as I hoped, or quite as literally magical as they may have been in the actual tome, they were still A) very impressive and B) much better than my fears, which were founded primarily in statements Peter made long ago concerning Gandalf and magic when Fellowhip was coming out, and how two of the most forceful examples of his magic, agaisnt the Nazgul and the Wargs, were both ommitted from that film.

In Reply To
as I sat in the theater during that scene, I thought, "Oh, this ought to make AinurOlorin happy!" and then I thought, "But it still probably won't go far enough to satisfy him." Tongue

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 15 2013, 9:44pm

Post #10 of 11 (290 views)
Shortcut
Loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked to see his power come out in full force once again. Pretty darn impressive.

cats16
Valinor

Dec 15 2013, 11:04pm

Post #11 of 11 (255 views)
Shortcut
That's almost exactly what crossed my mind, too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.