Favourite things and least favourite :)

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 15 2013, 12:19am

Post #1 of 11 (766 views)
Shortcut
Favourite things and least favourite :) Can't Post

Favourite:
1,Entire Bilbo and Smaug scene/ "I am fire...I am DEATH" last few minutes.
All beautiful and wonderfully done. Mixed humour and menace and fear and awe perfectly. Great reveal and CGI. The ending was perfectly done I though, superb cliffhanger. Smaug was amazing.
2, Mirkwood spiders/Bilbo murdering the smaller younger spider for the Ring.
Thought the voices were done perfectly and action was wonderfully choreographed and was beautiful. Very powerful scene with the younger spider and great acting.
3. Laketown in general
It's like a shanty town Venice :D Loved the design, very atmospheric and pretty.
4. Gandalf vs Sauron.
Great execution, scary and cool. Saurons design and the way they interacted was great.
5. Well done action sequences
Barrel sequence and Smaug v. Dwarves especially. Very exhilarating if slightly OTT.
6. More depth
Character arcs such as Thorin's madness and Bilbo's and the ring. Little emotional character moments like Biblo and ring in Mirkwood and the Dwarves searching for the keyhole as daylight escaped.

Least favourite:
1. Half of the orcs really didn't look too good. Some looked amazing, but the contrast was very jarring and some CGI shocks really bugged me.
2. Beorns portrayal. His voice sounds like a Hollywood film trailer voiceover and he isn't given enough depth and time. What could have been a interesting and enchanting scene is cut into a vague mess.
3. Where is Azog's white warg?
4. Not enough of Mirkwood/Beorn/Elven Halls
5. Bloody distracting cartoony subtitles
6. Awkward pacing that makes Carrock; Beorn; Mirkwood;Elven Halls;Laketown;Desolation feel like a few days and not prominent and difficult enough
7. Not enough quiet moments. After the big barrel sequence there should have been a tranquil section of floating nicely down in peace. More stuff like that.
8. Bolg looked dreadful
9. Awkward, awkward healing scene
10. Some dialogue could have been a lot less clunky

What do you guys think?

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 15 2013, 12:37am

Post #2 of 11 (597 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf vs. Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved everything about this, and did not expect it. Soooo good! Can't wait to see the movie again, just for the Dol Guldur stuff.

Other favourite parts are the obvious ones, I guess. The spiders, the barrel ride, and Bilbo/Smaug conversation. I also loved everything about Laketown (the set design, Bard, the Master, etc.)

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Dec 15 2013, 12:42am

Post #3 of 11 (561 views)
Shortcut
I quite agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf vs. Sauron was one of the film's highlights and one of the major reasons I want to see it again.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Dec 15 2013, 1:57am

Post #4 of 11 (520 views)
Shortcut
My List [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved
1. Bilbo/Smaug
2. MF's reaction when he realized he wasn't in a barrel
3. All of Bard's story and LE's portrayal of Bard
4. Kili/Tauriel Starlight prison scene
5. Subtle way the writers introduce the relation of Thorin to Fili and Kili.

Didn't like
1. Not enough screen time for Thranduil.
2. Not enough screen time for Beorn.
3. It was raining in Bree again. I never liked that.
4. PJ's cameo.

Farficom
Rivendell

Dec 15 2013, 4:18am

Post #5 of 11 (481 views)
Shortcut
The one part that stood out to me, and the one that didn't so much was... [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole Mirkwood spiders scene was outstanding. The only thing missing was the "attercop, attercop" part which was dearly missed. As well as Gandalf and Radagast interaction which left me hoping for a bit more.

My least favorite part was one that got a nearly audible "what the hell is this s**t" from me was seeing Legolas standing on the poor Dwarves heads during the barrel scene.

(This post was edited by Farficom on Dec 15 2013, 4:19am)

JenovaElessar

Dec 15 2013, 4:46am

Post #6 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut
My picks [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorite:
1. When the sun goes down and the dwarves believe the quest has failed, and then the scene when they enter Erebor again. I got choked up when Thorin was like "what did we miss", and then when he finally enters and says "I know these walls" . Incredible acting from Richard Armitage and the guy who plays Balin and beautiful music to back it up.

2. The entire Woodland Realm sequence. This was the best portrayal of elves so far in any of these Middle-earth films. They truly felt otherworldly and distinct from the other races. The Eleven King seemed majestic and the Feast of Starlight felt magical. I hope we see more of this in the EE.

3. Smaug's reveal. I loved how they slowly built up suspense by taking their time with this scene. Cumberbatch's voice was perfect.

4. Barrels out of Bond. Although it was quite different than I imagined (expected it to be more of a high speed, white water rafting sequence), it was still quite entertaining with all the fast action combat and humor.

5. Discovery of the charred dwarf bodies in Erebor. Another fantastic moment that renews the dwarves resolve and leads to Thorin's awesome "if this is to end in fire" line.

Least favorite:
1. The way it ended. I still think that if would have been far better to show the destruction of Laketown in this movie. I mean, we had Bard realizing the prophecy was coming true, his warning to the people of Laketown, Bilbo discovering Smaugs weak spot, and Bard grabbing the black arrow in preparation. Everything was building up to this moment and now we have to wait until next year for the payoff. I can't even imagine how that is going to work because the movie is going to start and somehow we're gonna have to rebuild that momentum in a very short space of time. I think Jackson missed a huge opportunity to create an emotionally devastating ending that would have given a more profound meaning to the title, "The Desolation of Smaug". The made up battle with Smaug and the stuff going on at Laketown was a poor replacement.

2. CGI Orcs. They just aren't as convincing as the costumed ones. Plus I hate how they are all pale now and speak Black Speech. It's too inconsistent with Lord of the Rings.

3. Random minorities in Laketown. I understand it's a trading port and that these people are Easterlings or from Harad. However, the African lady and the Asian looked nothing like what is already established from the Rings films. The way it was handled with the closeups of the same three or four people screamed of forced political correctness, especially since we all know Jackson took flack for not including them before.

4. Legolas reduced to a cartoon character. Seriously, I would have much rather preferred if his appearance was more of a cameo and ended after the barrel scene. Instead he gets no new development and just kills dozens of Orcs the whole movie.

5. Gandalf's fight with the shadow. Sorry, but this scene just didn't work for me. It dragged on too much and even though I know it's setting up LoTR's it didn't feel like it belonged.

(This post was edited by JenovaElessar on Dec 15 2013, 4:47am)

Nira
Lorien

Dec 15 2013, 7:56am

Post #7 of 11 (443 views)
Shortcut
Just saw it...here's a few on my list: [In reply to] Can't Post

(in no particular order)
1. Everything Bilbo- Martin Freeman is beyond fantastic. I especially loved Bilbo/Smaug, Mirkwood butterflies, and Bilbo getting the ring back scene. Perfect.
2. Tauriel- I was skeptical, but she was a good fit and personified some background info on the elves. EL's acting was good as well.
3. Slow evolution of Thorin's character and Balin's reaction. Well done.
4. I like how they incorporated the eye into the necromancer...BUT they did that a few seconds too long for my taste.
5. I was relieved when FINALLY Gandalf told them to stay on the path. Whew!
6. Mirkwood was well done! Very trippy.
7. Improvements from AUJ: more original music, more Bolg (I could have done with fewer orcs, but at least it felt like a little less Azog), less Radagast, more Bilbo & Thorin focus.
8. Bard- nice to see all they did with the character. It worked well.
9. I laughed so much at PJ's cameo. Took me out of the movie, but I like it for the humor. Bree should have been sunny and happier in DOS than in FOTR, but it was worth it for the humor IMHO.

Dislikes:
1. Video game Legolas. Too many Legolas vs. 20 orcs fights...got old quick.
2. Bombur's barrel was too unbelievable and ridiculous. Fun/cute for on animators' down-time or in a video game, but not for actually in the movie.
3. Leaving 3 dwarves behind in Laketown!? Then an awkward Kili healing scene that shouldn't exist in the first place.
4. Melting gold statue? Obviously fake (poor cgi) and just random.
5. Giving no lines to other dwarves. Bobmur gave the same AUJ fear expression (he does so well) at least 3 times. Just one word or short quip would be great. I'd settle for hearing just an "ok."
6. WHEN WILL BILBO SAY, "Thag you very buch" !?!?!?!? I must hear that line!!! Someone please tell me this will happen!
7. Gandalf vs. Sauron wasn't an interesting duel. Then he was just left alone captured like after the Saruman fight. boring.
8. Beorn's intro didn't sit right & his screen time was too short, but I understand why. I'm hoping for a nice EE scene.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Dec 15 2013, 8:00am)

Nira
Lorien

Dec 15 2013, 8:27am

Post #8 of 11 (414 views)
Shortcut
9&10 [In reply to] Can't Post

10. Smaug- perfect. I just hope he looks more red in the sunlight.

-------

9. I'm glad the Master of Laketown's indigestion/burps were mostly cut; I don't care for that character trait...too over-kill.
10. Thorin puts the key in upside down and turns it to the right. It should be "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey."

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 15 2013, 9:05am

Post #9 of 11 (400 views)
Shortcut
someone said [In reply to] Can't Post

in a thread I read earlier today (can't remember which one- yikes the boards have exploded!) that he says it when he's handed his new clothes and is wrapped up in a blanket.

I unfortunately wasn't paying close enough attention to catch it- I heard him say something that sounded like thank you very much, but til I read it on here it didn't dawn on me that it was the infamous "thag you berry buch" line from the book....

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 15 2013, 9:44am

Post #10 of 11 (403 views)
Shortcut
Let's see [In reply to] Can't Post

Favourite:
- Gandalf in Dol Guldur
- Bilbo and Smaug
- Bard
- Bombur's moment of glory with the barrels
- Bilbo's "Mine!" -moment
- Spiders of Mirkwood
- The very end "I am death." and "What have we done."
- Thranduil interrogating the orc
- Legolas seeing the picture of Gimli

Least favourite:
- Tauriel/Kili healing scene
- The other Tauriel/Kili scenes
- The dwarves and Smaug playing cat and mouse
- The ridiculous stunts of Legolas and Tauriel in any part of the movie (but especially Legolas balancing on the dwarves' heads)
- Orcs vs Tauriel and Legolas in Laketown
- The orcs in general. Their obsession with Thorin is just never well enough explained.

Nira
Lorien

Dec 15 2013, 4:54pm

Post #11 of 11 (370 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that. But...but...but...he isn't sick, just a bit cold. Gahhh the context just isn't there for it to count for me. I'll just have to watch it again and pay closer attention to that part. Thanks!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.