The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
No mr Thorin I want you to die! /spoilers/

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 7:42pm

Post #1 of 3 (416 views)
Shortcut
No mr Thorin I want you to die! /spoilers/ Can't Post

Smaug should star in a Bond movie, seriously I was having flashbacks to Goldfinger for more reasons than one during the last hour of the movie.

I just saw DOS and I'm not terribly coherent but this was not Tolkien, it was Indiana Jones meet Goldfinger with a dragon in it ... and I loved it, I think... it was exhilarating and hilarious, and scary one a whole new level than AUJ - the imaginary was more striking and basically a lot of the first movie seems a bit bland in comparison. Even the cliffhanger is infuriatingly bold.

However people were right when they said it was a three hour action movie, it definitely felt like it and it definitely did not feel like a standalone film as well.

I love Beorn, he was much better than some of the stills would lead you to believe, Tauriel was perfectly fine - I though Thranduil and her were the best elves in the Peter Jackson version of Middle Earth (granted I did roll my eyes on the Tauriel/Kili dialogue a bit ... ). Smaug's CGI was not nearly as good as the images of him on the AIR NZ plane but he was awesome as a character. I love the way they designed his mouth, it felt very natural seeing him talk.

Favourite moments:

-Dwarves looking at the Lonely Mountain in awe

-Smaug the Golden (OK, that was brick-in-the-head subtlety level but it was an exhilarating and striking image)

-Bilbo and Smaug, especially the build up to Smaug's reveal

-Bilbo lying that he didn't find the Arkenstone because he didn't want Thorin to go mad - the look on Bilbo's face.. that was very touching

-Bombur's shining moment during the barrel escape

-Nearly everything about Balin Heart

Anyway, I can't wait for TABA, overall I feel satisfied but I need to process my thoughts a bit more because the movie felt so different to me than all the other Peter Jackson's Tolkien movies.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 10:03pm

Post #2 of 3 (120 views)
Shortcut
To me it's like nothing I've EVER seen before – completely unique [In reply to] Can't Post

And I simply cannot compare it to LOTR at all. It's so completely different in terms of the acting (far better overall, I think), and the advancement in the visuals (in a good way for me).

I need to see it many times because there is so much in it to process…

But I wish it had been much longer, with the Beorn, Thranduil, Bard and the Master arcs expanded in particular. That would have made it perfect for me.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 10:11pm

Post #3 of 3 (99 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the film. Can't wait to see the EE, which I hope comes out earlier than the last one.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.