The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Brief foreign box office (not US) report

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 5:20pm

Post #1 of 10 (535 views)
Shortcut
Brief foreign box office (not US) report Can't Post

http://www.thewrap.com/hobbit-desolation-smaug-opens-1-first-nine-foreign-markets

Smile

demnation
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 5:44pm

Post #2 of 10 (338 views)
Shortcut
It seems that the analysts are in agreement [In reply to] Can't Post

that DOS faces tough competition domestically and will likely gross less than the first film. International is a different story: the film is expected to top the first films $700m haul and $1 billion seems assured.

Hello!

Eadignes
The Shire

Dec 13 2013, 5:54pm

Post #3 of 10 (305 views)
Shortcut
Yes it will take less [In reply to] Can't Post

In North America, but overseas seems to have got of to a good start.
So hopefully it will top the 1st film.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 6:39pm

Post #4 of 10 (250 views)
Shortcut
300 million [In reply to] Can't Post

I still believe it will hit that mark here in the states.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 7:54pm

Post #5 of 10 (202 views)
Shortcut
The US is foreign. [In reply to] Can't Post

We are on the internet: everywhere is both domestic and foreign, depending on where you live.

Also, a British story, directed and filmed by New Zealanders, in New Zealand, with US studio money (plus NZ tax break cash), with mainly UK, NZ and Irish actors, and an international crew, with most profits generated outside the US. It's not really clear where the domestic market is - the world, basically.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:20pm

Post #6 of 10 (166 views)
Shortcut
...and three Aussie actors as well [In reply to] Can't Post

...Bolg (I think) , Galadriel, and Elrond

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 10 (160 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but on these forums, since this is an American site, I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

When people say 'domestic' they are referring to North America (USA and Canada). This term always struck me as odd on other forums as well, by the way, but that's how it is. My 'domestic' is the UK.

In Reply To
We are on the internet: everywhere is both domestic and foreign, depending on where you live.

Also, a British story, directed and filmed by New Zealanders, in New Zealand, with US studio money (plus NZ tax break cash), with mainly UK, NZ and Irish actors, and an international crew, with most profits generated outside the US. It's not really clear where the domestic market is - the world, basically.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 14 2013, 7:33am

Post #8 of 10 (126 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm looking at the site right now [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's definitely in my living room, in Scotland. And I'm replying to someone from the UK. TORN is effectively an international site - by and for the fans of Tolkien - who are a pretty cosmopolitan bunch.

As far as the film is concerned, I'd consider New Zealand to be the domestic market.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 14 2013, 12:09pm

Post #9 of 10 (119 views)
Shortcut
But we don't usually refer to 'domestic' market, do we? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's generally an American term, I think.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 14 2013, 3:18pm

Post #10 of 10 (112 views)
Shortcut
It's a universal term [In reply to] Can't Post

referring to the home market of a particular country - we might hear it less in Britain, but it is an established term. UK has always been heavily involved in overseas trade, so the domestic market probably has less importance for us.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.