The Hobbit: DOS Box Office
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

anthonyroy
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 4:47pm

Post #1 of 31 (833 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: DOS Box Office Can't Post

The film opened to $8.8 million from midnight shows, 32% down on AUJ. The first film took $13m from midnight shows. Hopefully it can get close to AUJ's opening weekend. Seems the disappointment many had with AUJ could be hanging over DOS. Word of mouth may change that though.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-hobbit-desolation-smaug-665561

(This post was edited by anthonyroy on Dec 13 2013, 4:49pm)

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 5:09pm

Post #2 of 31 (454 views)
Shortcut
Having nasty winter [In reply to] Can't Post

weather across the mid-west and northeast didn't help either. I still see this film outpacing AUJ in the USA. Great movie btw!

anthonyroy
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 31 (438 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully, word of mouth from general audiences seems a lot better so may have longer legs than AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
weather across the mid-west and northeast didn't help either. I still see this film outpacing AUJ in the USA. Great movie btw!

demnation
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 5:17pm

Post #4 of 31 (439 views)
Shortcut
What is going to happen [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the film will make a sickening amount of money regardless, and that money will probably line the pockets of the people who deserve it the least. (sorry, feeling rather cynical today.)

Hello!

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 5:18pm

Post #5 of 31 (442 views)
Shortcut
Low-ish turnout at my showing [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to the AUJ/DoS marathon (didn't do the Atlanta line party Frown because I wanted to be closer to home). We got moved to the regular midnight showing for DoS because of a technical glitch, and there were maybe 150 people in a theatre meant to hold 400. Oddly subdued crowd, too, not many real fans in it (maybe they were all at said line party).

However, I loved the film, and based on the Kili-Tauriel storyline, I wish PJ hadn't excised the scene of Kili flirting in Rivendell from AUJ. It would have made it less "out of nowhere" for him to put the moves on her.

Yva
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 31 (452 views)
Shortcut
empty seats [In reply to] Can't Post

Was just about to respond to the other thread mentioning that yes there were quite a few empty seats during the midnight premiere screening in my central european capital city, which was rather sad to see. Was hoping it was just a coincidence, that I perhaps chose a less popular combination of formats (had to travel to a cinema further away from the city centre for subtitled 2D in Atmos). Apparently not.

Not that the box office results mean anything to me but I do wish the movie success.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 5:26pm

Post #7 of 31 (418 views)
Shortcut
Mine as well [In reply to] Can't Post

The IMAX was only about 3/4 full. Last year it was sold out.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2013, 5:29pm

Post #8 of 31 (425 views)
Shortcut
It was the other way around for me .... [In reply to] Can't Post

For all my screenings of AUJ, the cinemas was about 30% full. I've just seen DOS for the first time, and it was 90% full. The queue for the next showing was also rather substantial.

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 5:31pm

Post #9 of 31 (405 views)
Shortcut
You are clearly surrounded by smarter people with more taste. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For all my screenings of AUJ, the cinemas was about 30% full. I've just seen DOS for the first time, and it was 90% full. The queue for the next showing was also rather substantial.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2013, 5:40pm

Post #10 of 31 (399 views)
Shortcut
Hardly .... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sick to death of no common sense and courtesy in a public place. Since the cinema was practically full, I had people sat on either side of me. One lady was on her phone the whole time, someone in front was talking, and the couple beside me were checking out each others tonsils to take any notice of the film.

Why see the very first screening, if you're more interested in sticking your tongue down someone's throat!? Bloomin' disgusting behaviour. I should have said anything.

(It didn't ruin the film for me, mind) Wink

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 5:44pm

Post #11 of 31 (394 views)
Shortcut
DOS in Sweden [In reply to] Can't Post

In Sweden the movie has opened strongly. The big theaters with 3D HFR are pretty much sold out at the moment. However, Im not sure people liked it as much as I did. There were no applause and people just left. Many seemed to be pissed off about the cliffhanger ending as well.
I will see it again tomorrow. Hope for a good audience reaction and a packed theater then!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 5:54pm

Post #12 of 31 (360 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a very good audience thank goodness. But yes, the overall behavior at cinemas is ridiculous now and how wants to spend $18 on a ticket (IMAX) to have a terrible experience. Thank goodness mine was ok.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 5:58pm

Post #13 of 31 (357 views)
Shortcut
Midnight screening in Sweden [In reply to] Can't Post

This year, when DOS ended the applauses were definately not as strong as AUJ was when it ended, if I compare the two screenings. Both were sold out.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

cats16
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 6:00pm

Post #14 of 31 (346 views)
Shortcut
Thankfully, for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

We went to the double feature, which had a very good crowd. Mostly fans, so it stayed quiet.

Glad that you had a good audience, too! Smile

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 6:02pm

Post #15 of 31 (351 views)
Shortcut
2D had a massive crowd , but I went to 3D which only had about 50-75 or so [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 6:09pm

Post #16 of 31 (342 views)
Shortcut
Sold out [In reply to] Can't Post

Screens here in the Kansas City, Missouri theater that I went to. I saw it in IMAX 3D.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 6:31pm

Post #17 of 31 (325 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in IMAX 3D HFR... [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing! Smile There was low turn out, but for a 9:00am screening on a Friday? Just right.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 6:37pm

Post #18 of 31 (305 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reading lots of early am 8-10 am low turn outs. That doesn't bother me since the world is working basically.

anthonyroy
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 7:06pm

Post #19 of 31 (291 views)
Shortcut
Yep, how packed out the theaters are tonight and tomorrow day will be the acid test [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm reading lots of early am 8-10 am low turn outs. That doesn't bother me since the world is working basically.

(This post was edited by anthonyroy on Dec 13 2013, 7:07pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 7:14pm

Post #20 of 31 (269 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

That will be the real test for opening weekend.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 7:22pm

Post #21 of 31 (269 views)
Shortcut
Not good [In reply to] Can't Post

Having a lower midnight turnout than AUJ by quite a bit is definitely not a good sign. It might be a bit more backloaded (well, it better be or else we would be looking at not even $60m for the weekend) but matching AUJ's $84m is probably out of the picture.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 7:29pm

Post #22 of 31 (255 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's pretty clear it's not going to do as well. Part of it is AUJ had long been anticipated. I think people are taking a wait and see attitude this time.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 7:34pm

Post #23 of 31 (254 views)
Shortcut
Anticipated and disappointed. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least 30% of the audience was at least a little bit disappointed going by these numbers. Wink

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 7:48pm

Post #24 of 31 (234 views)
Shortcut
I'd not put to much stock in midnight screenings. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's midnight afer all.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 7:50pm

Post #25 of 31 (228 views)
Shortcut
It was midnight a year ago as well. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.