The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Reviews & reactions, thread 21

Skaan
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 21 (870 views)
Shortcut
Reviews & reactions, thread 21 Can't Post

RT is at 75% currently, with an average rating of 6.9/10.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 21 (519 views)
Shortcut
before the posts say criticts don't matter. I feel the need to post this [In reply to] Can't Post

That's only true to a certain extent.

I live 30 miles away from the cinema. Round trip that's 60 miles. That also 1 and a half round trip. And that's now when I have passed my test and have car. before I'd have to see if anyone else wanted to go or go on the bus.

Yes, if I really wanted to watch a film, I'd end up going. But it's those films that I'm not sure about that makes me think twice (Hobbit is not one of them). And I bet it would be the same to others who are in the same situation. That's with out thinking about ticket prices

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 2:59pm

Post #3 of 21 (453 views)
Shortcut
If this [In reply to] Can't Post

will end up at 75 percent it is not bad for DoS as second installment.

For MC DoS has 65 with 39 reviews (We need about 40 reviews to get a solid number) that is good for movie too (AUJ has 58).

The Red Avenger
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 3:23pm

Post #4 of 21 (408 views)
Shortcut
My Local - Liverppol Echo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly positive, has a few misgivings (again the run time - honestly do these people have the attention span of a gnat?) but 4 stars is positive. AUJ hot 3 last year.
Review not up on the website yet (only In the newspaper.. As soon as it is I'll post it.

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 3:39pm

Post #5 of 21 (413 views)
Shortcut
Now that I am coherent and awake, I wrote a small review of my own. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope this is the best place for it!

The momentum of the movie carried itself into my dreams so that I was still caught up in its action and drama until the next morning when I could finally settle into a reflective mode.

The Good (What I was anticipating most):
  • Thranduil: I loved how he came off as both an ever youthful spring and a venerable and wise elven lord simultaneously. I also loved how they showed his motives but also how his actions contributed to conflict in an honest and vulnerable way. He looked awesome!
  • Smaug: This was utterly fantastic! I just love everything about his design but my favorite thing is the way his face shifted. He was so expressive! I would venture to say even better than Gollum! The only criticism would be that “he wasn’t very good at being a dragon” in this installment. That was what my brother who went with me said. I prefer to give more credit to Thorin, Bilbo, and the dwarves, myself.
  • Bilbo: This guy has definitely found some courage and seems to have fulfilled Gandalf’s expectations of burglary nicely. I love how they handled the Arkenstone issue. I also enjoyed the way that he used his every-man powers of not giving up and laying it on thick to solve problems rather than just using the ring all the time.
  • Mirkwood: The spiders were so creepy and the flow was well arranged. The butterfly scene fit well within the journey and the meeting with the elves seemed really fitting in its mixture of tension and relief.
  • Laketown: This was so well done and I know it must have taken a mammoth creative effort because this much detail is not in the book (or even close). It is a living breathing town, not just a backdrop for Bard’s speeches. I loved the characters of the Master and Alfrid. This was a good picture of humanity in a more modern and easily recognizable sense than the high and lofty Gondor (even closer than Rohan, really). It was well contrasted and meshed with the faerie peoples (dwarves, hobbits, elves). And best of all, those little water patterns did show up! It was just on the bottom of the boat and hardly recognizable in a still shot. That’s some gorgeous detail!
  • Character / detail / filling out of generic story elements: The story was told as Jackson put it “through the character dialogue and actions” rather than through a narrator voice. Excellent! And no easy task to achieve given the source material (as wonderfully generative and engaging as it is in all its inspiring ambiguity).
The best thing is that I can look forward to more of all of the above!

The Bad (What I was most concerned about):
  • Radagast: This was a total 180 degree turn-around for me. I thought he was perfect this time and last time I was a bit uncomfortable with him in parts.
  • Inconsistent CGI: Yep. Again. I must nitpick. The backdrop of the barrel scene looked really photoshopy. I guess this aspect of a CGI infused movie might be like making the bed - it never really seems finished. But there is an obvious gap between how awesome Smaug is and some parts of that barrel scene. On the other hand, Azog and Bolg and all the orcs and goblins looked a great deal better.
  • Over-dramatization: I was very pleasantly surprised! This was expertly avoided in a tight-rope walk spectacle between character moments, widespread conflict, and believable non-over-reaction.
  • Trying to work out the logistics of when to see which format when and with whom: So far so good!

The Ugly (Nasty surprises):
  • The theater wasn’t even half full and I know one show sold out but there were three available in regular 2D and I was in the second one (not filled) which leads me to guess that one entire showing didn’t even run. I overheard no balks from the people behind me and lots of appropriate emotional reactions at the right times (fear, reviling, surprise, laughter, “What a jerk!”). But at the end, the only comment I overheard was “I paid for a whole movie”, in dismay - probably referring to that cliffhanger ending.Maybe they were simply as speechless and awestruck as I was myself?

Score: 9.5 out of 10. It was awesome but I see where there could have been a bit more polish. Overall, I felt that this was a good transition that moved just a step away from faerie and childhood and into the real world and adulthood (with one foot in both worlds - not easy to balance at all).

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 3:54pm

Post #6 of 21 (376 views)
Shortcut
Down to 74 // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 4:28pm

Post #7 of 21 (361 views)
Shortcut
Jeremy Jahns video review [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QCSNybVuOI

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 4:33pm

Post #8 of 21 (336 views)
Shortcut
I was about to post it but you were faster ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like his reviews! He gave "An Unexpected Journey" "only" his second best rating but all LOTR films got the best one… I'm happy that "The Desolation of Smaug" receives what it deserves :)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Eruonen
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 4:34pm

Post #9 of 21 (336 views)
Shortcut
RT Audiences at 89%....much better. Critics 75%. [In reply to] Can't Post

A good Washington Post review

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...69f54fc5f_story.html

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 13 2013, 4:37pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 4:42pm

Post #10 of 21 (327 views)
Shortcut
Back up to a 75%// [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Eruonen
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 4:56pm

Post #11 of 21 (313 views)
Shortcut
A typical slanted comment from a "professional critic" [In reply to] Can't Post

"....and Jackson has now departed so far from Tolkien’s “Hobbit” that the original work is still there, essentially untouched, for those weirdos who want it. "

You see, fans of JRRT are "weirdos" to the "Salon Cognescenti "

http://www.salon.com/...aves_tolkien_behind/

The good thing is that I am finding more positive reviews...from grudging approval to enthusiastic...than outright negative. The negative seem to be from the same point of view and I doubt any film of a JRRT book would please them. I would have to dig out any similar LOTR reviews.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 13 2013, 4:56pm)

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 5:18pm

Post #12 of 21 (309 views)
Shortcut
I went with a group [In reply to] Can't Post

of four and absolutely loved the movie. The pacing was incredible and just what I was expecting for a bridge movie. Love BOLG, his anger, etc... Tauriel was a huge surprise and quite pleasing to all in attendance. Smaug was nothing more than truly, truly..Magnificent Wink

The ending was right where I expected it....I'm counting days already to TABA. Taking my kids today after school to see it again. Then another ten times or so. Very, very action packed!! The weather in Ohio kind of hurt attendance (it was extremely cold and snowy) but expect big numbers over the weekend.

Easy 9 out of 10 Sly

Yva
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 5:24pm

Post #13 of 21 (271 views)
Shortcut
I understand what he implies but the sentence doesn't make much sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like, the further away Jackson has departed, the more the book is still there?

The further away Jackson has departed, the more untouched the book remains?

The further away Jackson has departed, the more the book will be touched by weirdos?

Either way, ridiculous and sad.

In Reply To
"....and Jackson has now departed so far from Tolkien’s “Hobbit” that the original work is still there, essentially untouched, for those weirdos who want it. "

You see, fans of JRRT are "weirdos" to the "Salon Cognescenti "

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 5:37pm

Post #14 of 21 (255 views)
Shortcut
Out of context... [In reply to] Can't Post

The quote comes from the final paragraph, which reads in full,

"There is no question that much of the magic and mystery and simplicity that made Tolkien’s work so striking in the first place has been sacrificed here to the demands of an excellent but essentially familiar CGI action-adventure flick, closer in manner and spirit to “The Avengers” than to Tolkien’s transmogrified fairy tale. I feel some sadness about that, absolutely, but one may as well complain that kids don’t listen to opera anymore, or read Vergil in the original. A handful of weirdos still do those things, and always will — and Jackson has now departed so far from Tolkien’s “Hobbit” that the original work is still there, essentially untouched, for those weirdos who want it. In exchange we get a movie fueled by bunny-power, sparrow poop and Elfland’s original riot-grrl. Take it or leave it."

My own take-away from this is that the author is himsef one of those "weirdos" who listen to opera and read Vergil in Latin, and like the untouched version of "The Hobbit" that is Tolkien's original book. This opinion is also supported by his references, elsewhere in the review, to things like Black Speech, Morgoth, and the issue of whether or not Sauron could take physical form without the Ring, following his defeat by Isildur.

While he is Salon's film critic, I guess, to me he seems also to happen to be a Tolkien fan of the book purist persuasion. And his review acknowledges that while the film is not Tolkien's Hobbit as he would like to see it, it is a pretty darned good movie that audiences will enjoy.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 5:48pm

Post #15 of 21 (242 views)
Shortcut
Aye I think he's saying the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Because in the end. when all 3 fims are out, the book isn't going to dissapear from our book shelves.

-Irfon

Yva
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 6:01pm

Post #16 of 21 (230 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, I did read the full paragpraph [In reply to] Can't Post

and this was just (a very poor) attempt at making fun of a sentence that seemed oddly constructed Smile

I take back the ridiculous and sad comment, though, I got upset by some of the earlier snarky reviews and took an illogical mental shortcut here.

Agree with your interpretation!

Yva
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 6:30pm

Post #17 of 21 (210 views)
Shortcut
And now I see it wasn't my comment you responded to... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, still valid though.

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 6:37pm

Post #18 of 21 (212 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that I would walk ten miles in the sub zero temps to see this, but Im in Bolivia and it's summer but.,.. [In reply to] Can't Post

movie doesn't come out here til 19th!!!! It's killing me!!!

Eruonen
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 7:09pm

Post #19 of 21 (185 views)
Shortcut
He should proclaim himself one rather than set up [In reply to] Can't Post

a slur.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 7:30pm

Post #20 of 21 (169 views)
Shortcut
hey, i'm in Ohio, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

my theather was pretty darn full but not sold-out. i'm sure the cold was part of that, it's brutal right now!

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 7:30pm

Post #21 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
wow right now on RT [In reply to] Can't Post

we currently get 2 - 4 fresh reviews per rotten.........

-Irfon

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.