Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Statue at the End?

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 9:37am

Post #1 of 19 (692 views)
Shortcut
Statue at the End? Can't Post

How did it just suddenly melt? This really confused me. Maybe it's just because I'm really tired because I've been up for twenty hours.

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 9:43am

Post #2 of 19 (426 views)
Shortcut
I'd imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

that it would take a while to set. By removing the stones so quickly, it couldn't maintain its shape.

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 9:49am

Post #3 of 19 (387 views)
Shortcut
Wait, they made the statue then and there? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was an old construction.......

Fleuz
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 10:03am

Post #4 of 19 (367 views)
Shortcut
Temperature [In reply to] Can't Post

The mould is made oh iron, maybe. Which melts at around 1500°C. But Gold already melts at 1000°C.
So they melt the gold and let it flow into the old pre made mould. The seams of the mould are cold and the gold at the edges begins to become solid again.
When the mould is dismembered the hot gold in the center begins to melt the entire statue again and the golden dwarf its collapsing.

Works for me. And looks awesome!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2013, 10:06am

Post #5 of 19 (345 views)
Shortcut
My only problem with that [In reply to] Can't Post

is why is the mould there? Did Thorin remember a project to create the statue which was abandoned at the mould stage when Smaug crashed his way into Erebor? And yet, that is the most plausible answer I have come up with.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

marcuspaine
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 10:08am

Post #6 of 19 (321 views)
Shortcut
Most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't strike me as surprising that Thror would commission a statue of himself at that late stage in his dragon sickness. It was probably being worked on before Smaug attacked Erebor. I liked the scene; it cleverly plays on Smaug's love of gold.

(This post was edited by marcuspaine on Dec 13 2013, 10:08am)

Fleuz
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 10:19am

Post #7 of 19 (304 views)
Shortcut
Well, Thorin maybe remembers the mould. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure they didn't built this at the time in the movie.

Sadly nothing like that is seen in the AUJ Prologue.

Or is it?
I should look into this...

Remus
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 10:19am

Post #8 of 19 (296 views)
Shortcut
My question is [In reply to] Can't Post

What room was it? The main hall? How could the molten gold fill what looked like to me a swimming pool. I thought the molten gold would had covered the whole hall and taken bilbo with it. Hmm?

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Ruijor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 10:20am

Post #9 of 19 (300 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

for me it was not so much the statue itself that was an issue but the fact that 9 dwarves alone could put all that machinery back to work after all those years...

Rickster
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 11:43am

Post #10 of 19 (243 views)
Shortcut
statue [In reply to] Can't Post

everything was ready for it. Of course Thorin knew about it. He is the grandson, he was there
The swimmingpool in front of it is not so strange Filled with water, it would have reflected the statue magnificantly
But clearly everything was ready for the statue to be made, but just as they wanted to make it .. long long ago the Dragon came.
By putting on the fires with his fire Smaug started the engines and than the only thing that had to be done was to lower the switch. Bilbo does that

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 3:51pm

Post #11 of 19 (154 views)
Shortcut
I still don't understand what they thought they'd be accomplishing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they put their heads together in the room full of oddly well-preserved Dwarf corpses and decide that-- Of course! Everyone knows how vulnerable fire-breathing dragons are to heat; let's use molten metal!

What business does a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, and a hobbit have in the Rivenmark?

deskp
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 4:53pm

Post #12 of 19 (128 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Smaug should have left Erebor right after he tells Bilbo hes going to laketown, the whole HORRIBLE CGI melted gold bit was such an annoyance, it had nothing to do in erebor. Smaug covered in gold looked awful aswell.

I think smaug should have left befoe that, and the statue could have been revealed in the last movie, as a reminder to the past and the legacy of Thorin or something when the new king sits on the throne.

cartermoulton
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 5:12pm

Post #13 of 19 (120 views)
Shortcut
truth [In reply to] Can't Post

looked like mac n' cheese mix.

"the road goes ever on and on..."

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 5:30pm

Post #14 of 19 (115 views)
Shortcut
The image of him shaking it off in mid-air was gorgeous, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the giant statue at least did one useful thing: it showed just how far gone in megalomania Thror was by the time the dragon arrived.

What business does a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, and a hobbit have in the Rivenmark?

willowing
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 9:20pm

Post #15 of 19 (77 views)
Shortcut
Up close and personal with Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Smaug just got too close to the golden Statue.and the high temperature from his fiery body and breath melted the statue causing the dragon to become overwhelmed in its own greedy desires. Just for a moment I thought how beautiful he looked as a golden dragon.

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 10:13pm

Post #16 of 19 (63 views)
Shortcut
YES [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug the golden indeed!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Dec 14 2013, 1:10am

Post #17 of 19 (55 views)
Shortcut
Amen to both these points! [In reply to] Can't Post

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 14 2013, 7:42pm

Post #18 of 19 (33 views)
Shortcut
I think it was an interesting play on his diamond-studded belly. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, he'd laid on the treasure for so long that he became encrusted with gems and gold. It served as his armor. I thought this seemed like an interesting interpretation of that.

deskp
Lorien

Dec 14 2013, 7:43pm

Post #19 of 19 (35 views)
Shortcut
em [In reply to] Can't Post

He already ahd comins and jewels stuck btween his scales, And it didnt look to me like any of the melted gold stuck to him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.