Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Deleted scenes...

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 8:28am

Post #1 of 10 (559 views)
Shortcut
Deleted scenes... Can't Post

I know there was a thread about this a few days ago, but it's been pushed back pretty far. And it didn't end up getting many responses.

-"And that's why the eagles will take you no further..." scene
-more of Beorn (possible torture scene)
-Bombur falling in the river/Thorin shooting at the deer (or at least aiming his bow at something)
-everything with Thrain
-Bilbo's "never venture east!" scene (I was really annoyed that they left that out)

I'm sure there are more that I just can't think of now. But the main issue I had with this movie (besides the forced romance) was the pacing. I think they took the criticism of the last movie too seriously, and it ended up making this one too rushed.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Dec 13 2013, 8:29am)

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 8:54am

Post #2 of 10 (241 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a bit rushed. The EE will most definatly fix this.

Weren't there also a scene with the dwarfs walking through a destroyed Dale, on theire way to the mountain?

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2013, 9:00am

Post #3 of 10 (247 views)
Shortcut
Never venture east? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you describe this one for me? I haven't heard of it before.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:05am

Post #4 of 10 (241 views)
Shortcut
It's a comment Bilbo makes during the boat ride into Lake-town [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo: “I should’ve never left Bag End. That was my first mistake. We have a little saying in the Shire, we learn it from birth: Never venture east.”

Bard the Bowman: “So tell me Master Hobbit, why did you venture east?”

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2013, 9:14am

Post #5 of 10 (215 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been avoiding all video spoilers so I missed that one. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 9:16am

Post #6 of 10 (218 views)
Shortcut
It was the scene we saw in the Sneak Peek last March, [In reply to] Can't Post

with MF doing loads of different takes of those lines!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 11:39am

Post #7 of 10 (147 views)
Shortcut
I'd imagine .. [In reply to] Can't Post

That line would be cut because at this point in the story (as well as after, such as him being the only one left waiting for the keyhole to appear), Bilbo's arc has him as wanting to be on the quest.

It'd be backwards for him to be complaining about it at this point.

Fàfnir
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 11:50am

Post #8 of 10 (144 views)
Shortcut
The feast with master too ! [In reply to] Can't Post

when the master eats buffalo testicles or something like that... plus it would explain why Bofur is sleeping when the boat leaves

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 6:41pm

Post #9 of 10 (71 views)
Shortcut
Maybe. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think it would be nice to have a moment where he's having second thoughts again after all that's happened. I felt like Bilbo didn't have enough strong character moments until they got to the mountain.

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Dec 14 2013, 3:57am

Post #10 of 10 (41 views)
Shortcut
Out-of-character moments.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm all for more character moments for Bilbo, but, they have to make sense! Dialogue for the sake of dialogue is just as bad as action for the sake of action. I hope there's a great deal of character moments stuffed in, but, moving Bilbo's character arc backwards just to use footage they shot really seems like a damaging concept.

At this point in the story, we don't need to see Bilbo doubt the quest. He'll reach that point again in the aftermath of Smaug/Laketown ("What have we done").

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.