Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I'm anxious about Smaug...so TELL ME

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 11:49pm

Post #1 of 15 (612 views)
Shortcut
I'm anxious about Smaug...so TELL ME Can't Post

The ones of have seen the movie, just tell me that Smaug look great and that he is well integrated to the screen the majority of the time!!! I go see the movie in 2 hours...i am anxious! Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 11:51pm

Post #2 of 15 (389 views)
Shortcut
I can assure you, of all the complaints most of us have with DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug isn't one of them. Amazing CG and lip-synch.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 11:52pm

Post #3 of 15 (292 views)
Shortcut
Cool...thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

But is he as well integrated as Gollum in the composition of the frame? Or like the trolls was (that i love btw)?

Defiant
Bree

Dec 12 2013, 11:53pm

Post #4 of 15 (323 views)
Shortcut
Smaug is flawless [In reply to] Can't Post

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 11:54pm

Post #5 of 15 (274 views)
Shortcut
Makes me confident and happy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Remus
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 12:03am

Post #6 of 15 (263 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is amazing. He is legendary. he is stupendous. Smile

I say like Richart Armitage said in a interview. Smaug is a beautiful creature. Not just badass and evil. People being worried about he having only 2 legs and not 4 legs with 2 wings is.... meh. I loved his design.

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Rickster
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 12:22am

Post #7 of 15 (242 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

He is fun. He is in the movie for 20 minutes. Than he flies away.
I must say, he was not the main figure for me in this movie.
I love the Bear-man, I love Bilbo and of course Gandalf.
I am impressed by the Elf-king as he has something with his face... that is spectecular.
The lord of lake town is good
and the grey, old, wise Dwarf
Thorin has a less impressive role this time, but that is of course due to the nature of the story.
The movie clearly is not about Smaug himself, but about the Desolation he created... ad does Sauron.
Watch the Bear-man though ! I am sure that in the extended CD/DVD/Blue ray version we will see much more of him and Bilbo. As now there is a clear cut after Bilbo wakes up and the Bear man comes home.

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 12:34am

Post #8 of 15 (215 views)
Shortcut
That's my thought, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen it yet (tomorrow!!) but from what I'm reading and hearing, Smaug is one of the things they got very, very right.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Godzillagon the Black
The Shire

Dec 13 2013, 1:21am

Post #9 of 15 (210 views)
Shortcut
Smaug looks just fine, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug indeed looks great, regardless of his bat-wings/front legs. It's what Smaug ended up doing after his initial conversation with Bilblo that didn't work for me. A crazy dwarf-chase through the tunnels, with Smaug suddenly not able to smell when the dwarves were hiding from him, a ridiculous scene of Thorin falling and balancing on Smaug's nose, and the final "revenge" of the dwarves on Smaug before he leaves the mountain only served to ridicule Smaug himself, and it made him much less awesome in the end.

SGH9564
The Shire

Dec 13 2013, 1:26am

Post #10 of 15 (171 views)
Shortcut
A quick question [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Smaug have any form of "eyebeams" or acute seeing in this movie? That was always something I loved in the Rankin Bass production.

Godzillagon the Black
The Shire

Dec 13 2013, 1:35am

Post #11 of 15 (170 views)
Shortcut
No eyebeams [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Does Smaug have any form of "eyebeams" or acute seeing in this movie? That was always something I loved in the Rankin Bass production.

No eyebeams, but his eyes do look really cool, and you get the sense that he's pretty much able to tell where Bilbo is even when he's wearing the Ring.

Speaking of the Rankin-Bass Smaug, I still think that Smaug's boasting monologue ("...My teeth are like knives, my claws - spears!...") in that cartoon is better than the one we get in this new movie. I was expecting so much from that scene, and it was cool, but in the movie it just kind of rolls into the general loud conversation Smaug is having with Bilbo.
That speech just didn't have the same "oomph" as it did in the cartoon, believe it or not.

(This post was edited by Godzillagon the Black on Dec 13 2013, 1:36am)

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 1:44am

Post #12 of 15 (149 views)
Shortcut
He is really great as the old threads say HAHA [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely, I can assure you that his magnificence will not dissapoint you, he is flawless both physically and verbally, a real masterpiece.

Ffnir
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 3:36am

Post #13 of 15 (139 views)
Shortcut
He's the reason I can say I really liked the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Great design and great acting, great monster and great character... I was expecting a LOT, and yet he's in no way a disapointment.

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 7:49am

Post #14 of 15 (75 views)
Shortcut
+1 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Smaug indeed looks great, regardless of his bat-wings/front legs. It's what
Smaug ended up doing after his initial conversation with Bilblo that didn't work for me. A crazy dwarf-chase
through the tunnels, with Smaug suddenly not able to smell when the
dwarves were hiding from him, a ridiculous scene of Thorin falling and balancing on Smaug's nose,
and the final "revenge" of the dwarves on Smaug before he leaves the
mountain only served to ridicule Smaug himself, and it made him much
less awesome in the end.

I agree 100% - had they left Smaug with Bilbo as the principal Smaug scene, it would have been truly awesome. But a dragon not able to deal with a few silly dwarves is a stretch a little too far. They're basically playing Home Alone with Smaug as Harry and Marv. It's stupid, and brings nothing to the table. I might have left it alone had it not been for that ridiculous golden statue at the end - but I guess, even in error PJ won't be outgunned.

For every second after the Bilbo scene, the feeling of danger you get from Smaug declines rapidly. Reduces him to almost nothing. And knowing that he pretty much just flies to Lake town and gets impaled by Bard is such a very humiliating end for something that was supposed to be scary.

Even the camera angles made him look small. I get that Erebor is huge - but at least show him from angles that make him look formidable - not puny.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:51am

Post #15 of 15 (60 views)
Shortcut
Just got back from seeing it [In reply to] Can't Post

and I loved him. Gonna go back this weekend if I can to watch the 2d version.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.